Opinions of this gun? - M&P15-22

This is a discussion on Opinions of this gun? - M&P15-22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife said she is going to buy me a rifle in a month or 2 (:D). I'm wondering if any of you have opinions ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: Opinions of this gun? - M&P15-22

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Opinions of this gun? - M&P15-22

My wife said she is going to buy me a rifle in a month or 2 (:D). I'm wondering if any of you have opinions on the S&W M&P15-22.

The main thing I look at when buying a gun is reliability, from the reviews I've read they are very positive but I trust opinions on here a lot more.

The only slight downfall I've seen with it is caliber size. I want it for a fun range gun and HD.

How good is this gun as far as reliability?
    Are replacement parts easy/cheap to find?

If you have any other suggestions on a better/different rifle around $500 please let me know.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While it will be fun and cheap to shoot, the fact that is is a .22 Long Rifle round has it's limitations as a HD gun. In the price range your looking at, I'd check out the Saiga .223. Quality built, many accessories available for it, proven platform (built on the AK platform) and not overly expensive to shoot.

Added: It is also available in 7.62X39 for the same price.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The Saiga 223 isn't bad, especially for the price, but I would prefer an AR platform.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Anything is better than nothing in most cases. However a 22 rifle is not a HD weapon, unless it is all you have.
    mini 14, one of the 9mm rifles. An entry level AK 300-400 bucks not bad idea ,one of many .223's below your price range lot of good low priced options that are much more effective and are fun to shoot.
    .22 are fun put many 1000's of round down range with them.
    Anything M&P builds is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Anything is better than nothing in most cases. However a 22 rifle is not a HD weapon, unless it is all you have.
    mini 14, one of the 9mm rifles. An entry level AK 300-400 bucks not bad idea ,one of many .223's below your price range lot of good low priced options that are much more effective and are fun to shoot.
    .22 are fun put many 1000's of round down range with them.
    Anything M&P builds is good.
    Granted that the .22lr is a pretty small round, it can do a ton of damage. I would like a larger caliber but I would like it on an AR platform. I've looked at the mini 14 before but most reviews I look at say it's not very accurate.

Lead Moderator
    Great as a plinker. Lousy as a HD choice. .22 Lr tend to jam and have more misfires (than a centerfire )as well as being a small caliber round.
    beararms likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Check out the M&P15 Sport. I just bought the last bits for a Palmetto State Armory rifle build, and the final total came in at right around $700. It's over your budget, but it's looking to be a good rifle.

If you build your own from a rifle kit,you can get an AR15 for around $600.00 new,then buy a 22lr adapter kit like the Atchisson or ciener for around $139 and you can swap out the Bolt Carrier Group and shoot 22lr,when done change out the BCG and load up 223/556
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    All good comments. .22 fun to shoot and darned inexpensive. However, my I suggest a DPMS .223/5.56? I have two of these and they have been fine, fine rifles. The basic model (no sights) can be had for around $625.00 out the door locally. When I say basic, I am speaking of the Oracle and not the Sportical version. The two I have are setup up as 25 - 125 yards for HD and the other is 100 - 300 yards. This one has a Eotech a 553 sight and the shorter range rifle has a Lucid sight that I am totally impressed with.

Sure you can pay more but why?

Good luck on what ever you end up with. ARs are a barrel of fun... (no pun intended..)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    However, my I suggest a DPMS .223/5.56?
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Links