Personal Thoughts. Fun gun vs. defense gun

This is a discussion on Personal Thoughts. Fun gun vs. defense gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive read a lot of threads on here were people are discussing the purpose of a gun. saying things like if you are buying a ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 6 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Personal Thoughts. Fun gun vs. defense gun

Ive read a lot of threads on here were people are discussing the purpose of a gun. saying things like if you are buying a gun to shoot at cans than anything is fine, if you are looking to compete than you want to spend a little more money, if you want to trust this gun to save your life then dont hold back.
    Honestly and personally. My philosophy on guns is it doesnt matter what the intended use of the gun is. you should ALWAYS make sure it is one you can trust your life with.
    if you are just out shooting at tin cans out in the middle of nowhere. you dont know if there will be an animal or idiots out there as well causing you to defend yourself.
    If it is a gun meant to learn or to teach somebody on. you STILL need to trust it to save your life. for example my wifes Sig Sauer mosquito 22lr. yes. it is a TINY round. but the gun is SAFE. It has operated FANTASTICALLY any and everytime we have gone to shoot it. while it may not be as much as a deadly round as a 9mm or .40 or any other round really. it is more than enough to stop an attacker when in the hands of ANY experienced shooter. and since it IS a small round it is easy to squeeze of many rounds ACCURATELY in a short period of time! however for the case of animals of course make sure it is not the ONLY weapon around.
    There are only 2 exceptions i can think of to this line of thinking. obviously and large bulky weapons suck as a sniper rifle or in an extreme case something like a 1919. LOL. if you have time to use one of these than your life isnt in an immediate danger .
    the other exception would be collection weapons. ww1 or ww2 weapons and whatnot.
    Point is. you never know WHEN you are going to be put in that situation. training for competition, hunting, out shooting with some friends or even just on your way TO go teach someone with a 22lr. if its not for a collection and you dont trust it to save your life. DO NOT BUY no matter how good of a deal it is!

I agree with you to a point. While I always take my EDC with me to the range, I have several guns that are fun to shoot and not as reliable. In my defense the 2 pistols I have bought (GLOCK 19 and 26) have been perfect. The rest of the guns I have were my dads, not saying they are all junk but some of them aren't perfect. There are a lot of guns I want that I realize may not be very reliable but I also have a pretty good idea I won't call on them to defend myself. Nothing wrong with a range toy or a beginner/trainer gun, and of course we all want them to be 100% reliable, unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. I think for me the important thing is that my EDC, favorite range toy, home defense, and competition gun is the same gun (GLOCK 19) and it is always on my hip with 15+1 rounds of Golden Sabre (unless I'm competing or practicing when it has range ammo in it).

This where the GLOCK 19 excels, well one of the many places it excels. Easy to shoot, fun to shoot, and utterly reliable.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

There are no holes that need to be filled in the handgun menagerie here with regards to self-defense however the great majority of handguns kept here are kept simply for fun. That's not to say that most of those fun handguns wouldn't also make dandy personal defense choices. I pursue collecting classic and antique firearms so don't concern myself their suitability for self-defense use. Even so, the oldies are still pretty amazing in their capabilities. For instance there's a Webley Mark VI .455 kept around here that was manufactured in 1899. It's sturdy and ergonomic, with a great single-action and double-action trigger pull and it's break-open design is speedy to reload. It would still be an effective close range stopper even though its 113 years old. I wouldn't feel at all ill-equipped to use it either.

Anyone who doesn't have a .22 pistol or two has a gaping hole in his collection in my view and the .22 pistol should be one of the first additional handguns to be acquired after a basic defense choice rather than after accumulating a selection of "necessary" self-defense handguns. It's just not good thinking to leave the .22 pistol and it's benefits out of one's handgun collection.

Folks would do well to avoid any of the cheapie handguns in favor of quality products. Reading up on the Forum here can help avoid the junk. A used example of a quality handgun trumps a new but crummy handgun every time.
    glockman10mm and gasmitty like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My personal thoughts are that every gun should be a fun gun. Not all shooting should be serious. And, if it's fun, you will do it often and become better.

A 22 rifle is fun, but can also be a force to be reckoned with.
    Life's to short for every shooting expedition to be a life and death training exercise. Sometimes people forget the other reason for shooting...... Fun!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Amen, Gman!

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My personal thoughts are that every gun should be a fun gun. Not all shooting should be serious. And, if it's fun, you will do it often and become better.

A 22 rifle is fun, but can also be a force to be reckoned with.
    Life's to short for every shooting expedition to be a life and death training exercise. Sometimes people forget the other reason for shooting...... Fun!
    dont get me wrong i absolutely agree. i am not saying never to guy a fun gun or a training gun. or even that you HAVE to spend a lot of money. just to make sure that every fire arm you go out and BUY with the intention of shooting it for ANY reason is a reliable weapon that you CAN defend yourself with. in the thread to 10 rifles for under $1000 i even posted that i actually want to get a sig 522. yes it CAN be used to defend myself but its a gun for FUN. i mean best quality of 22 in a fun gun is you can send down a few THOUSAND rounds and not feel guilty about spending the money for the ammunition. so to your comment. i do TOTALLY agree. i just feel that not every gun should be bought with the INTENT of self defense. only the ABILITY.

My EDC:

My Fun Gun:

My "Whole Lot of Fun" Gun:

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Just to continue the discussion: Where do the single action revolvers fit into your thoughts, Dente2040? I have a really old Colt Single Action Army and love it but don't much go in for single action revolvers in general. A whole lot of Forum members do like them really well though and there are gobs of Rugers and Colt clones out there among us. They can be entertaining fun for an afternoon's range or plinking trip and many are also kept for handgun hunting. The Ruger Single Six and other quality brands of .22 caliber single action revolvers offer an awful lot of shooting fun and instruction outside the realm of their center fire brethren.

Personally, I feel the single action revolver could still be pressed into service for personal self-defense even if the design is a bit more primitive. The thumb-cocking is less of an impediment than many assume and the gun is a repeater; just not holding as many rounds as the latest high-capacity designs. One could influence a defensive situation in his favor with skillful application of a single action revolver and even multiple attackers will have just inherited problems of their own if a single action revolver is brought to bear against them.

Now there are some cheapo "pot-metal" .22 single action revolvers on the market. I recently encountered a Heritage .22 single action, just purchased by a close associate. It shoots but gives every impression of short service life with its materials and workmanship.

I do of course PREFER the more tactical option of having more rounds in my weapon. however there is, has, and always WILL be something to say for the reliability of single action revolvers. if one is concerned about only having 6 rounds or so there are always speed loaders to compensate. in ANY confrontation i can think of, when i weapon is produced by the defender that alone puts a lot more pressure on those doing the attacking and get them to think again. Yes i will always support on ALWAYS having a reliable weapon. but it doesnt matter if it is a glock 19, a beretta 92fs, or a single action revolver. when you are proficient with a weapon, respect it, and are confident in your capabilities with it, that will show and most of the time have almost as much impact mentaly and otherwise in a situation like that as the weapon itself. . so to answer your question, for a defensive weapon, it may not be AS tactically sound as a magazine fed handgun but it has, does and WILL do the job.
    with that said. i have NO problems with single action revolvers as FUN guns also because it does exactly what i stated in my post. once you have and know the weapon CAN be used for defense. you can put your mind at ease and forget about the defense, life/death aspect and go out and JUST have some fun. thats how every gun bought for ANY kind of shooting should be.

Eventually i would love to get a colt single action revolver for myself. and even though they may be ugly, ive always wanted to take a Mateba out to the range to see how the bottom chamber fire revolvers handle.

There are several ways to frame the "fun" versus "defense" question. Depending on how you define those terms, you're going to get different answers.

When I want to have a good time at the range, I bring the 6" 686+. It's a pleasure to shoot and crazy accurate, holds 7 rounds of .357 - and in a HD situation I'd have no problem relying on it to get the job done.

But it's also heavy and big. You could carry it concealed but for that job I've got smaller 9mm pistols that have larger capacity. These are also enjoyable to shoot but they have a different purpose.

Then there's the Ruger MKII. One of the classic .22s - solid and reliable, and also highly accurate. The way I've gone is to always purchase the highest quality I can find and afford in any category. "Fun," then, in this context doesn't equate to cheap or unreliable. Other people will have different criteria.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

RKM
    I would trust my life to any one of my guns. And they're all fun. However, usually when I'm out shooting them, I'm always carrying one that I'm not currently shooting.

I have good time shooting all my gun's. However the most fun I have had is with my WII Mark 2 Sten submachine gun 32 round mag in emptied in about 12 seconds on a pumpkin at 12 yards. Expensive but fun, I sold it last year for $2700.00 because I needed something more practical.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Sponsored Links