Black Bear in neighborhood

This is a discussion on Black Bear in neighborhood within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I was just told by my neighbor that he saw a black bear in his yard. I live in a small city in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Black Bear in neighborhood

Hey all,

I was just told by my neighbor that he saw a black bear in his yard. I live in a small city in NC and to hear reports of a bear is something I would never expect. My neighbor called the police and they told him that they had gotten many reports from other people.

So anyway now to the questions that I have. I have an SKS, an AR15, and a 12 gauge shotgun. I was figuring to use the SKS if I spotted the black bear and it was doing anything to endanger a person or a pet. I have never been a hunter besides just shooting coyote at my friends house so they don't kill his chickens. But would the SKS be effective on a black bear or should I have my 12 gauge ready with slugs in it. I also carry a Glock 23 at all times. But if someone could give me some advice on which weapon to have ready.

Thanks,
    etniexd
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
    I carry a gun because I am too young to die.

EtnieXD

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

12 gauge, but if you have the opportunity to go inside... just stay inside til it's gone.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

If your 12-ga is a repeater (pump or auto), I'd keep that ready with 00 buck and mabye a few rifled slugs nearby. Second best I'd say is the SKS with soft-point ammo.
    mprp likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

"Black bears run away from you. Brown bears run at you."

Seriously, though, a good-sized black bear can be a tough opponent. Myself, if sightings were rare and there were no recent reports of threats from such bears, I'd likely just stay indoors and let them pass. Of course, that would change dramatically with children around.

Black bears can exceed the size of very large/strong adults, but they can be much tougher (particularly if angry). There are reports of hunters taking bear with .357, .45 and .44 in pistol or rifle. The lever-action .44mag has a long history of effectiveness against such targets. Myself, I'd be concerned with anything less than a stout and reasonably deep-penetrating pistol load.

Yo might get some good suggestions about pros/cons of varying loads if you check with a couple of local hunting/sporting shops.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You've never hunted? You are thinking about going out in the yard to shoot a black bear roaming the neighborhood? Bad idea!
    If you should spot the bear, go inside and call 911. Bears roam huge distances (100 sq. mi), but may be repeat visitors if food/garbage is available.
    Keep your trash protected...don't go looking for bears...they're not interested in attacking you or your pet unless provoked, so don't provoke them.
    An inexperienced shooter may only make a roaming bear an angry bear, then you'll have big problems.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have been wanting to see a black bear in the wild all summer and haven't seen a thing, and you have one in your neighborhood!

I would go inside and call 911, if you feel the bear is a problem. There was a case in OH where a trooper had to shoot a black bear. He shot it with a .40 s&w 165 gr. JHP. The bear went down in 1 shot. I am not recommending the .40 for a bear gun, but just saying that the gun you have on you can work, if that's all you've got.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Either the 12 gauge or the SKS will kill a bear. Don't use FMJs though. Use a JSP.

But really it's not a big deal. We up North type folks see bears all the time. Don't feed them and don't leave your trash out and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Last edited by atctimmy; July 11th, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo ninjas
    DanielC likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I just moved from NH. Bear and dog got into it and still no problem. Dog went after the bear. Just leave them a lone they will leave you alone. We had a bear this summer come by so often (4-7 times a week) that we named him.

If they are a nusiance call the police and let them get hold of the folks to tranquilize it and move it.
    DanielC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Aso, keep your pet food put up. Around here they will keep coming back to get a quick snack if you leave Fido's food out all day.
    BugDude likes this.

I'll second (or whatever number we're on now) keeping your trash protected, perhaps inside your garage? And not feeding it. If you feel it's in an area where it might be an immediate danger to people, call 911 and let them know. If it's in the process of hurting someone or kids are trapped by it or something like that, I'm going to say a 12-gauge slug is the ticket. Just be sure you can put the sucker where you want it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Willie and Junior shoot 12-ft gators with a .22 on Swamp People. I'd try to avoid a confrontation with a bear if possible for fear that I'd just piss him off my missing the kill zones. We have coyotes (that I've seen) and black bears (reportedly) in the woods behind my house where I walk my dog. I carry my G23 but it's more for the two-legged predators.

Slugs for you shotgun if you have to (Bear is pawing at you door or threatening someone you love) otherwise call 911 . I have a Winchester 338 mag loaded with 250 gr. A-Frame bullets. That's my bear eradicator if needed. We have had a few reports of Black bears in our area too but I haven't personally see one here.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

If the problem persists....you may want to upgrade your bear medicine.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Don't feed them and they will move on. One of my neighbors took this photo

A few days later I took this one

Burns, atctimmy and peckman28 like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    First choice is to stay inside away from it. Second choice is the 12 gauge loaded with slugs or 00 buck, third choice is the SKS. Remember, as any any shooting, shot placement is paramount. The last thing you want is a wounded/mad bear after you. In most cases your not going to outrun it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links