gun auctions

gun auctions

This is a discussion on gun auctions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have seen a lot of gun auctions lately. they claim to sell guns for less than a box of ammo. This brings to mind ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By revldm

Thread: gun auctions

gun auctions

I have seen a lot of gun auctions lately. they claim to sell guns for less than a box of ammo. This brings to mind the old saying ,if it sounds too good to be true it is. Has anyone bought a gun from any of these sights? Do you really get them for pennies on the dollar? or is this just a gimmick? Maybe a scam?

Gotta be a gimmick . Plus who would trust a gun that cost pennies?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    I really don't know anything about them but, I'm curious also. My Wife thought I was too good to be true but, then she discovered that I was even a better guy than she could have possibly imagined. She got me for pretty cheap. She only had to chase me around the block about three times before I let her catch me.
    pgrass101 and atctimmy like this.

Senior Moderator
    I have bought guns on Gunbroker before, but you have to know what you are buying then you can get ripped off. I have only bought C&R guns and they have been reasonably priced but not steals. I have seen some really high prces on the sites but never any ones I thought that were great bargins (and I look every day)
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    If they are ran the same as other penny auctions, they are pretty much legit. You might opick it up for pennies on the dollar, but they are making their money on all the bids that don't win. For example, if 300 people bid on it and bid multiple times it adds up quickly. You buy bids in blocks, and pay for each bid you place.

On one of the none gun sites I paid 1.05 for a 50.00 Walmart gift card. Cheapest ammo I have ever bought.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Are these new or used? I have purchased online but only thru reputable companies with return programs. If I am looking at a used gun it would have to be really cheap for me to purchase with out checking it out and seeing it up close.

sites like guns for pennies claim these are new guns and say that people buy them for almost nothing. 20.00 for a glock and so forth.I don't know if I understand how that works but it seems like a scam. Maybe one person will get a gun like that and others get ripped off.

VIP Member
    OK, this is how it works. You buy bids up front. You pay something like $3 to $6 per bid. Then everytime you bid the price of the gun goes up a penny but you really spent $3 to $6. If multiple bidders are involved a gun might get bid on 200 times and the auction company makes a very nice profit. The price of the gun is only $2 but many, many people are putting money into the process. I'm not sure how the auction ends, in many cases there there is a time limit or a preset number of bids and the last bidder is the lucky winner.

The catch is that it's more like a lottery than an auction. You could spend $30 and walk away with nothing or you spend $8 ($6+$2) and get a nice fancy new gun. It's a crap shoot.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I have seen a lot of gun auctions lately. they claim to sell guns for less than a box of ammo.
    I will take 10 guns please!!! No need to gift wrap them.....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Thanks atctimmy, that clears up a lot for me. I knew there was more to it than I was seeing.
    atctimmy likes this.

Sponsored Links