Ammo

Ammo

This is a discussion on Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How much ammo do you all keep on hand? I go shooting once a month and have one 9mm gun. I like to carry about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ammo

Ammo

How much ammo do you all keep on hand? I go shooting once a month and have one 9mm gun. I like to carry about 500 rounds at all times. Is this enough for the zombie Apocalypse?

Senior Moderator
    No it is not enough for the Zombie Apocalypse but it is enough for defense

544582_458290134188685_2008523686_n.jpg
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I wish I had the cash for 500 rds. I got 100 9mm, 50 .45's, and 15 7.62x54R. Plus self defense rounds in 9mm and .45

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yea, I shot 250 rounds today at the range though. So now I have to go restock my supply. Gun is worn in - about 350 shots through it now

I like to carry about 500 rounds at all times.
    I find that to be rather cumbersome, especially when getting in and out of the car.

Did you perhaps mean 'how much ammo do you keep on hand?" If that's the case, that's a question which has been asked her before and the answers are all over the map. I think among shooting enthusiasts, 500 rounds is not a lot. Some of us buy in bulk and/or reload a year's worth, just to have on hand.
    Guest1, mprp, GhostMaker and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I find that to be rather cumbersome, especially when getting in and out of the car.

Did you perhaps mean 'how much ammo do you keep on hand?" If that's the case, that's a question which has been asked her before and the answers are all over the map. I think among shooting enthusiasts, 500 rounds is not a lot. Some of us buy in bulk and/or reload a year's worth, just to have on hand.
    I did assume that you were asking how much you kept on hand, I only carry 2 reloads with me at any given time
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

500 rounds is exactly what you need until you run out.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I keep enough on hand so that I can barricade the doors with ammo. As I start to run low, I then know its time to flee from the Zombies.
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Keep ammo on hand? Nah.. I keep a couple dozen rounds stashed away.. If I want to go shooting I can always stop by the store and buy a box of 50... but keeping lots of ammo stashed away? That's just silly...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't count it, but I'd guess I've got 500 or so rounds on hand, mostly target reloads and 2-3 boxes of the serious stuff. I figure if it comes to where I needsd a freight train load of ammo, it's preobably not a world I want to be around in anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I only have about 50 9mm gold dots, 25 .380 critical defense and 50 rounds of 9mm range ammo... I need to get more soon...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I keep enough supplies in reloading goods to keep my hand guns well fed for a year or more, depending on how much I shoot. Right now that's approx 2k fmj rounds in 9mm and 2k in .380, but not nearly that much in brass. Couple hundred .380 brass, but about 1k in 9mm brass. I still have close to 450 XTP rounds that I haven't loaded up. I do keep a box or two of factory defense ammo for each weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I only have about 50 9mm gold dots, 25 .380 critical defense and 50 rounds of 9mm range ammo... I need to get more soon...
    you need to come over and load up some with me

how much is too much???
    Burns likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterruger View Post
    How much ammo do you all keep on hand?
    plenty

"the zombies can come and get some"

VIP Member
    I have about 2000 rounds of 9, 1500 of .40 and running low on .45, only about 1000 rounds. Of course that is only for my carry guns. If you throw in ammo for my .380, 9 Mak, .38 special and .357 add about another 3000 rounds. Wait, I forgot, that's just handgun ammo. Add another 2000 7.62X39, couple hundred 30-06 and 300 12 gauge 00 buck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links