Any new and quality AK-47's or FAL's for around $1,000?

This is a discussion on Any new and quality AK-47's or FAL's for around $1,000? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If so, what models and where to buy? Many of you know the ends and outs of nearly everything on the market, such as the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any new and quality AK-47's or FAL's for around $1,000?

Any new and quality AK-47's or FAL's for around $1,000?

If so, what models and where to buy? Many of you know the ends and outs of nearly everything on the market, such as the quality of the parts used, service, reputation, etc. Quality is very important to me, but I lack the much needed knowledge to choose wisely. I want something in 7.62/.308. I really like AR-10's as well, but don't see them nearly as durable mainly do to tolerances. I appreciate the help!

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    The Arsenal SGL-21 is pretty much the gold standard in the AK world. Also it's under $1000.

I have trouble finding an AK over $1K. Shop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneticgamer View Post
    If so, what models and where to buy? Many of you know the ends and outs of nearly everything on the market, such as the quality of the parts used, service, reputation, etc. Quality is very important to me, but I lack the much needed knowledge to choose wisely. I want something in 7.62/.308. I really like AR-10's as well, but don't see them nearly as durable mainly do to tolerances. I appreciate the help!
    First things first. The AK is chambered for 7.62X39. It is not the same as the 7.62X51 Nato (.308).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    First things first. The AK is chambered for 7.62X39. It is not the same as the 7.62X51 Nato (.308).
    ^this.

there are plenty of sites that have them around $770-850.

ETA: them being arsenals sgl-21's
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Arms of America has AKs for a decent price. I have never personally bought anything from them, but I have heard good things about them.

Arms Of America
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Please note atctimmy above, you are talking apples and crabapples here.

I got my FAL (G-1) from Century Arms for less than $750 but that was close to a decade ago. Bud's has several AK's listed in the $600-$700 range
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    You should decide what you want. How are you going to use it? the FALs are nice kinda heavy compared to the AK. Also the AK will be much cheaper and the Wolf ammo ( 7.62 x 39) is way cheaper than the 7.62 x 51 or .308 for the FAL.
    If you are going to plink around at the range 100 meters or so and for HD the AK will be nice. If you want to shoot out more distance go with the FAL. The mags and other parts will be much easier to find for the AK and should be less in cost. FALs are different you can't swap out some of the mags between models.

Plan b get a M1 garand from the CMP 30.06

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The Arsenal SGL-21 is pretty much the gold standard in the AK world. Also it's under $1000.
    I have an SGL-21 and it is a fantastic weapon. Money well spent.

Thanks. I should have been more clear on the caliburs. I think I've seen AK's in 5.56? That's why I wrote 7.62, / meant or, .308. I will start with the Arsenal SGL-21. I certainly want a FAL as well however.

What do you guys think about collecting firearms? Sweet hobby? A waste to let kickass weapons sit around just because you like them? Just collect what you'll shoot? No sense in owning more than you need and can carry?
    Last edited by geneticgamer; July 12th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Good choice, right price, somewhere else a better option? Arsenal AK47 SGL 21-61 Rifle For Sale

What about the M10-762 Semi-Auto AK Style Rifle 7.62x39 for $600? Is the Arsenal SGL-21 worth the additional $250? Is there a superior AR-15 for the money? I know it wouldn't be 7.62, but there aren't many wild bears running around in Indiana.

Senior Moderator
    About collecting, I look forward to growing my stash of World War II firearms, so I am a little bias.

AK,s and AR's are different philosophies of rifles, both are well suited for their purpose. AR is a precision tool and AK is a tool meant for hard use generally speaking.

On a personal note I like the .30 caliber round much more than a .22
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This would be my first rifle, but I'm sure I would as well. It seems like it would be a lot more fun to shoot, and I certainly love stopping power. The Arsenal SGL-21 looks like pure win. I read it's no longer made and that their new model is the SLR. It's a bit more pricey, but still in range. I don't know how the price difference is justified however. It has a folding stock and a fresh name is all I see.

VIP Member
    I suggest you find a friend with some guns and take a test drive of the AK and the AR. I had an AK47 first but I like accuracy and my AK shot 7 inch groups at 100 yards. I hated that so I went over to the AR15 side and I like it here.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links