Watching American Guns show

This is a discussion on Watching American Guns show within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They had a guy brought in an 870 wingmaster and wanted it upgraded to a tactical HD gun,they quoted him $1700.00 with his gun.I did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Watching American Guns show

They had a guy brought in an 870 wingmaster and wanted it upgraded to a tactical HD gun,they quoted him $1700.00 with his gun.I did a little rundown on parts cost and I'm being lenient.
    New barrel $125,Surefire forearm online $280.00,AR style collapsible stock with pistol grip $75,side saddle shell carrier $40,Ghost ring sights soldered on $100.
    So I come up with about $675 in actual parts with the surefire forearm costing over 1/2,and they charged at least $1000 to change out the stock and forearm add sites and side saddle and paint the barrel.
    I wish I could make that kinda money just changing parts out.
    He could have just bought a new shotgun with most of the doo dads added the others for less than 1/2 what they charged and still had his other shotgun
    Guest1, beararms, phreddy and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They had a guy brought in an 870 wingmaster and wanted it upgraded to a tactical HD gun,they quoted him $1700.00 with his gun.I did a little rundown on parts cost and I'm being lenient.
    New barrel $125,Surefire forearm online $280.00,AR style collapsible stock with pistol grip $75,side saddle shell carrier $40,Ghost ring sights soldered on $100.
    So I come up with about $675 in actual parts with the surefire forearm costing over 1/2,and they charged at least $1000 to change out the stock and forearm add sites and side saddle and paint the barrel.
    He could have just bought a new shotgun with most of the doo dads added the others for less than 1/2 what they charged and still had his other shotgun
    What a joke for that money he could buy two 870 tactical pumps with extended tube ,knox recoil stock and ghost ring sights already in place and have cash left for more bolt on stuff.Where do those guys come up with their prices?

If I'm going to pay $1,700.00 for a HD shotgun, it better be able to patrol the property on its own.
    PatAz, mano3, Burns and 8 others like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Eh, just buy a Benelli.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

it's a TV show....all kinds of stuff doesn't make real world sense..."Reality TV" is what ever reality the producers believe creates the drama they feel they need to drive ratings and, revenue ... of course, we all know that....

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I saw this and was laughing really hard about it. Rich, however, got a great deal on all those machine guns. $75,000 is a LOT of money but it isn't bad for what he got.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I've watched the show a few times, and some of the gunsmithing was done at very reasonable prices IMHO. The guy must be making some serious money, no doubt, as he is zipping around the area in his PRIVATE HELICOPTER!

And you gotta admit, his daughter is just about the hottest thang on TV , and probably makes the ratings much higher than they would normally be, LOL. But I digress and am straying off-topic, shame on me.

-
    goldmaster and mano3 like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

HCF
    I watched last night that was ridiculous 1700, he could of bought one already complete and kept his 870 that was his grandfather's

One amendment to the OP: the barrel was carbon fiber and no way could be had for $125, but your point is valid. Rick reams his customers out if you can believe the show. Notice how Rick's always standing right there behind the counter when "customers" walk in with "projects"? That's clearly staged as DCer's from that area who stop by say they've never seen Rick or the little hottie girl. The drama created by the Wyatts and the gunsmiths borders on Orange County Choppers insanity and is painful to watch, but I watch the show to learn about the gun-making process and to see the results in action. The fake explosions are also a bit much for me, but what the hey, it's television.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    We watch the show and find it entertaining, but it is just entertainment. I have read from those that have gone to the store that their prices are high. The prices they have on the show are out of sight.

Sent via mental telepathy

I didn't see the entire show, switched to it just as the kid was taking the sniper stock in for it's "camouflage" paint job (with the Avon Police logo AND badge AND SWAT doodad AND neat-o Motto AND Gunsmoke logo AND racing stripe AND pin-up girl AND....well you get the point.) I thought this thing was supposed to be camouflage? Then when I saw that they were going to destroy a perfectly good family heirloom instead of just directing the customer to one of the many purpose built defensive shotguns already on the market, I flipped over to something else...just couldn't take any more...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It's just entertainment, but I watched it last night and said the same thing. An 870 HD model is about $300, then add a light (not the fore-end light...get a cap light) for $200, get some sights for $100, a side saddle for $40 and a collapsible stock for $100. $750 tops, plus labor...should have been a grand. And then he would have been able to keep his grandpa's hunting shotgun as a nostalgia piece as well as a legit hunting shotgun! Oh well, to each his own.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

It's a goofy show with a few explosions. I hate to admit I've wasted about 30 minutes on it.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Behind the Scenes on “American Guns” | HausofGuns.com | Gun and Gear Reviews, Hunting and Outdoor Products, Video Well...just read this from the guy. Turns out the whole story is a made-for-TV lie. The 870 was just something Gunsmoke had because he would never do that to his grandpa's shotgun, and the price he knew was ridiculous, and he still owns the rifle he says he brought in for trade. All smoke and mirrors, just entertainment.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    And you gotta admit, his daughter is just about the hottest thang on TV
    -
    Careful. She's only 16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links