marlin 795

marlin 795

This is a discussion on marlin 795 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; yea so i need to buy a 22 rifle. the boy needs to learn how to shoot. i went down to buy a marlin 795 ...

Thread: marlin 795

marlin 795

yea so i need to buy a 22 rifle. the boy needs to learn how to shoot. i went down to buy a marlin 795 at fleet farm. 144$. seemed a decent price. couldn't find it cheaper online with the 30$ transfer fee i'd end up paying. as usual d.o.j. put a hold on me. (shared name with a felon in my state)...

so fleet farm called me today (a day later) and said i could pick it up. now i am wondering if i should go with this. what do you guys think. marlin 795 or something else? the price is good, from what i can tell. is there another 22 rifle that i should be considering for the price?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Well, it depends on what you are looking for. I ordered my first .22 this week. I can't believe I didn't get one years ago...

First thing to consider. Do you want an autoloader, a bolt action, or a lever? Autoloaders can be fun and there are a ton of options out there. If I was going to get an autoloader, I would probably get a 10/22 due to the ability to customize.

Since you are teaching your boy to shoot, you may want to consider something that isn't a semi. Autoloaders tend to create bad habits. "Spray and pray", if you will. Bolt actions are great because they force you to take your time - and are usually mounted with a scope.

I opted for a Henry Lever action. Cheap for what it is, but not cheap in general for a .22. It is tube fed instead of magazine. It can feed anything from .22 short to .22 LR. It has iron sights and has a walnut foregrip and stock. Plus, lever actions are just plain fun. I decided that if I was only gong to have 1 .22 in my arsenal, I wanted it to be this one. At around $270, it may be more than you are wanting to spend.

My LGS had a lot of .22 options for under/around $150. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding something nice.

EdC
    I own a Marlin 795 (magazine fed) and I believe that for an out of the box .22 semi auto it can't be beat. Simple, reliable, and very, very accurate.
    Few options for add ons, customization when compared to the Ruger 10/22, but I think the 795 is well worth the money.

I'm a big fan of Marlin long guns, as I think they are a good value. Well made, not fancy, but they get the job done. Marlin makes a bolt action .22 for about $175, as well.

Good luck and have fun.

yea i shoot all magazine fed "military style" rifles. so i want the magazine there to teach him to clear jams on a mag fed fed rifle. i think this is probably what i will do unless i can find a used one cheap in any of my lgs'.

and yea lotus i kinda wanted a ruger but it's more than i am willing to spend.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I bought a 795 SS a few yeas ago. I absolutely love the rifle. The trigger is heavy, but it is a fun, reliable, and accurate 22. You will not be sorry buying it. Not much after market stuff like the 10/22, but it is a great little rifle.

Sponsored Links