Man hit by falling bullet. Or not? Bonus stupid comments in article.

This is a discussion on Man hit by falling bullet. Or not? Bonus stupid comments in article. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Falling bullet hits Fla. man in face Sounds like to me he was shot, not a victim of the fabled bullet meteor. Trajectory and terminal ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yankeejib
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: Man hit by falling bullet. Or not? Bonus stupid comments in article.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Man hit by falling bullet. Or not? Bonus stupid comments in article.

Falling bullet hits Fla. man in face

Sounds like to me he was shot, not a victim of the fabled bullet meteor.

Trajectory and terminal velocity seems a bit off:

It clipped through the bill of his hat, struck the bridge of his nose, exited his nostril and bored a path from his lower lip through the fleshy nub of his chin. Exiting his lower jaw, it struck his rectangular silver medallion necklace inscribed with a favorite Bible verse of his mother's: If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed ... nothing shall be impossible to you.
    Translation: We're too scared to confront citizens firing weapons (have you ever called 911 to report celebratory gunfire? Did they show up? That's pretty much my experience.):

Authorities aren't rushing to remedy the problem.

Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said he doesn't consider preventing celebratory gunfire a major priority for the Sheriff's Office, since he's aware of only two incidents of falling bullets hitting people - at Safety Harbor and Tropicana Field - this year.
    Good luck with that:

Duran (mother of other falling bullet victim in article) said she'd like to see more than just education. Stricter regulation of the purchase of ammunition could help insure that those who obtain guns illegally don't have easy access to bullets, she said.
    A firearms instructor admits that permit holders have inadequate training:

Joe Krawtschenko, a firearms instructor from Bradenton who is working with Duran on the Bullet Free Sky initiative, said the state should also require more rigorous safety training for those who obtain concealed-weapon permits.

"You have a ton of people out there with guns who have no idea how to use them," Krawtschenko said.
    A state Senator thinks the NRA would be opposed to a law against celebratory gunfire. Isn't it already illegal?:

State Sen. Arthenia Joyner, D-Tampa, was fretting about celebratory gunfire all night on July Fourth because of the Duran incident earlier this year.

Joyner said she would support a public education campaign carried out by government agencies at both the state and local level. But she suspects any proposals for a legislative solution to bullets fired into the sky would face swift and fierce opposition from gun-rights activists and interest groups such as the National Rifle Association.

"I just don't know whether or not that's a fight I'd like to take on," she said. "You're talking about one of the biggest holidays in this country. The custom, the tradition, is you shoot your gun. You can talk about ways (to stop it), but at this point I don't think there would be any way to pass legislation."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Promise to not NRA bash LOL

I promise not to NRA bash! The following quote is from a state rep in FL (she sounds daffy in her other quotes but that is not the point LOL)

(State Sen)Joyner said she would support a public education campaign carried out by government agencies at both the state and local level. But she suspects any proposals for a legislative solution to bullets fired into the sky would face swift and fierce opposition from gun-rights activists and interest groups such as the National Rifle Association.
    Folks tell me if I am right or wrong but wouldn't the NRA support a law against firing blindly in the sky? Or at least not oppose it? It goes against all the rules of safe gun handling.

And if you think the NRA should oppose a law or city ordinance I would be curious to why you would think that.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I promise not to NRA bash! The following quote is from a state rep in FL (she sounds daffy in her other quotes but that is not the point LOL)

Folks tell me if I am right or wrong but wouldn't the NRA support a law against firing blindly in the sky? Or at least not oppose it? It goes against all the rules of safe gun handling.

And if you think the NRA should oppose a law or city ordinance I would be curious to why you would think that.
    Arthenia Joyner represents the moron viewpoint well on most issues. The only thing more tragic is her constituency is dumber than her.
    oneshot likes this.

"Joe Krawtschenko, a firearms instructor from Bradenton who is working with Duran on the Bullet Free Sky initiative, said the state should also require more rigorous safety training for those who obtain concealed-weapon permits."
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    "Joe Krawtschenko, a firearms instructor from Bradenton who is working with Duran on the Bullet Free Sky initiative, said the state should also require more rigorous safety training for those who obtain concealed-weapon permits."
    I have heard him before in the news spouting the same stuff. I think he wants to drum up more business for himself.
    hogdaddy likes this.

May I say, only the ignorant, the dumb and the stupid do celebratory gunfire into the air. If you must do it, do it into an earthen embankment or other suitable target, but not into the air.

It is undoubtedly already against the law, nonetheless NRA would be against it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    May I say, only the ignorant, the dumb and the stupid do celebratory gunfire into the air. If you must do it, do it into an earthen embankment or other suitable target, but not into the air.
    Granted, we know that responsible, legal gun owners never just shoot their guns off in the air, however, we're painted with the same brush as the shooter. I'd bet a weeks salary on the demographic of the shooter.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "A state Senator thinks the NRA would be opposed to a law against celebratory gunfire. Isn't it already illegal?:"
    Essentially, yes.

790.15 Discharging firearm in public.
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

So if you shoot into the air and the bullet crosses a paved public road or right of way (nearly certain), one has committed a misdemeanor. Make sure you aim straight up!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It is undoubtedly already against the law, nonetheless NRA would be against it anyway.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

Rock and Glock said it...

only a fool would believe the NRA would NOT be against some dolt shooting wildly into the air.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It is already illegal.

Hard to believe, but there are actually people out there who don't give a rip about laws.
    I think they have a name for them.
    Let's see...I used to know it...umm...oh, yeah...Criminals.
    Joyner is a moron. That fact is indisputable.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The people breaking laws aren't listening, so let's pass laws more that effect people not breaking the law. Always the answer, never works.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links