Defensive Carry banner

Shipping firearms on airline

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mprp 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience shipping firearms on an airline? What kind of case do you need, can it be locked, and what is the general procedure? My son's friend is coming home from Ft. Lewis, and wants to bring his new M&P. Thanks for any pointers.

#2 ·
Too much of a hassle to check it in. Just hide in a planter at the airport and pick it up on on your return:danceban: Not!!!
Call your airline and verify their procedures. I use a locked pelican case for long guns and handguns.

#5 ·
However that is not "shipping it on the airlines", it is carrying the firearm in checked baggage and following the proper TSA and airline procedures.

I think there are also some discussions in this forum on shipping a firearm, but they would not involve an airline.

#7 ·
Actually I worded my post poorly, what I meant was checking a firearm. Thanks for pointing that out. That does raise an interesting possibility. Would it perhaps be better for him to ship his gun home ahead of time by someone like UPS? Less headaches??

#8 ·
Hell no. I travel regularly with a firearm, and across the border too.

Follow the rules and regs of the airlines and the TSA, and it's a piece of cake.

Reactions: mprp
#9 ·
^^ :yup: ^^ Although I've yet to fly with a firearm, that's what Iv'e come up with in the research I've done. ALL of the rules followed and you shouldn't have a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.