Shipping firearms on airline

This is a discussion on Shipping firearms on airline within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have experience shipping firearms on an airline? What kind of case do you need, can it be locked, and what is the general ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GunnyBunny

Thread: Shipping firearms on airline

Shipping firearms on airline

Does anyone have experience shipping firearms on an airline? What kind of case do you need, can it be locked, and what is the general procedure? My son's friend is coming home from Ft. Lewis, and wants to bring his new M&P. Thanks for any pointers.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    Does anyone have experience shipping firearms on an airline? What kind of case do you need, can it be locked, and what is the general procedure? My son's friend is coming home from Ft. Lewis, and wants to bring his new M&P. Thanks for any pointers.
    Too much of a hassle to check it in. Just hide in a planter at the airport and pick it up on on your return Not!!!
    Call your airline and verify their procedures. I use a locked pelican case for long guns and handguns.

VIP Member
    Easiest thing is have him check with the airlines on required procedures. The link below is from the TSA website, as long as he follows both the airlines rules and TSA rules he should be OK.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

However that is not "shipping it on the airlines", it is carrying the firearm in checked baggage and following the proper TSA and airline procedures.

I think there are also some discussions in this forum on shipping a firearm, but they would not involve an airline.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Lots of experiences have been written up here... take this opportunity to get familiar with the Search functions!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    However that is not "shipping it on the airlines", it is carrying the firearm in checked baggage and following the proper TSA and airline procedures.

I think there are also some discussions in this forum on shipping a firearm, but they would not involve an airline.
    Actually I worded my post poorly, what I meant was checking a firearm. Thanks for pointing that out. That does raise an interesting possibility. Would it perhaps be better for him to ship his gun home ahead of time by someone like UPS? Less headaches??
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hell no. I travel regularly with a firearm, and across the border too.

Follow the rules and regs of the airlines and the TSA, and it's a piece of cake.
    mprp likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

^^ ^^ Although I've yet to fly with a firearm, that's what Iv'e come up with in the research I've done. ALL of the rules followed and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links