Problems with correct type of lubricant. - Page 3

Problems with correct type of lubricant.

This is a discussion on Problems with correct type of lubricant. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sgb ......... your car will run without oil in the engine, try that and see how long the engine lasts. If a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Problems with correct type of lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    ......... your car will run without oil in the engine, try that and see how long the engine lasts.
    If a gun will not run dry for a hundred rounds there is something wrong with the gun.

Michael

If I am just gonna shoot a couple 300 rds and be done, then thats nothing. Dont worry about lube or keep it light. If your gonna shoot a 1000 + that morning I would use some kind of grease lightly on the slide. The gun is gonna get hot and it will thin the grease. Oil basicly will go poof.

Glocks came lubed with the copper grease lube in the slide rail already.

Freezing temps will cause the gun to get sticky, but sounds like there was to much on it to begin with.

If you have a 1911, then the best way to apply oil to that thing is to dip it in a bucket of motor oil and wipe the outside off and fire away.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If a gun will not run dry for a hundred rounds there is something wrong with the gun.

Michael
    Good luck with that.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

So forgot to update my results, sorry. Replaced magazine spring, recoil spring polished feed ramp and used some red high temp grease. Also cleaned out magazine, was full of carbon. Put 120 rounds threw it no problem. Am happy with that since I only carry one spare mag and don't plan on keeping over 100 rounds in my pocket. Thanks for everyones input. I think the main problem was mag spring and being dirty.
    8 poorly placed .380 +p hp's are much better than a well thrown cell phone. Carry Every Day.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I use Shooters Choice on my slide rails and never have any problems with it: Synthetic All-Weather High-Tech Gun Grease | Shooters Choice
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by dontrun View Post
    So forgot to update my results, sorry. Replaced magazine spring, recoil spring polished feed ramp and used some red high temp grease. Also cleaned out magazine, was full of carbon. Put 120 rounds threw it no problem. Am happy with that since I only carry one spare mag and don't plan on keeping over 100 rounds in my pocket. Thanks for everyones input. I think the main problem was mag spring and being dirty.
    Glad to see things are working better, now.

Questions:

1. What was the estimated round-count on the gun, at the time you began noticing the problems? If completely unknown, what's your wild guess, based on the wear in key spots? In my experience, a gun that's well beyond its break-in period seems to be much less prone to getting hung up with a bit of gunge in key spots.

2. Did the problem vary depending which magazine you used?

3. What was the weight of springs you removed; of the spring you used for replacement? Did you go up/down in strength, or stay the same?

4. Have you tried oils/greases of different viscosities?

Good tips for cleaning regimen include: cleaning the gun and magazine internals after every use, whenever possible; keeping it well lubed; using the best viscosity lube in spots prone to hanging up cycling if it runs dry (ie, rails, feeding zone); and, knowing the lifespan of your critical, replaceable springs (recoil, mag), replacing them well before the end of that time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes that is what i use the Shooters Choice all weather, but it doesn't say synthetic, it works great though.
    ....Not sure on the round count when it started, never really shot it over about 50 rounds in one sitting until one day I had a box of 100 and bored. All springs where Sig factory nothing special. Only had 2 magazines, both performed the same. This was the time I have used grease. I have used lots of different types of oils with good results eveything from rem oil to 10w 30.
    I like how the grease stays where it was applied.
    I don't know what gunge is. Sorry
    8 poorly placed .380 +p hp's are much better than a well thrown cell phone. Carry Every Day.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Do most firearms need lubrication for them to function? I ask because when I was a kid we would have problems when out in sub freezing weather with some of our rifles acting up. The older folks told us to remove all the lubricants in the action and run them dry. Point is they ran fine dry. That tells me that firearms do not need lube to function properly as much as they need to to prevent wear.

Michael
    actually, this is/used to be proper procedure for firearms in freezing temperatures. oils and greases back then WOULD freeze and tie up the gun. and i suspect only some of the 'dry' lubes in use today would be better.

BUT: this is OK for hunting when you might fire 1-5 rounds in a day, if that. it is NOT OK when you are shooting as many rounds as is likely during a typical session at the range.

and i don't know what soldiers did during the Korean War.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have a P232 and I use Prolix on it and have never had any problems and when we are at the range area I most of the time I run 300 rds thru at least

Do most firearms need lubrication for them to function? I ask because when I was a kid we would have problems when out in sub freezing weather with some of our rifles acting up. The older folks told us to remove all the lubricants in the action and run them dry. Point is they ran fine dry. That tells me that firearms do not need lube to function properly as much as they need to to prevent wear.

Michael
    The problem with that is usually condensation that freezes. The cold gun taken in the cabin for lunch, condenses, when you go back out it freezes. Oil will absorb moisture over time. I use synthetic lube and my guns run fine at -40.

Here is what I do for me Glocks but your issue probably isn't in lubrication. Lubrication Points - Glock parts, accessories, and custom Glock refinishing at Rockyourglock Store
    TW25 grease is the Stuff!
    Once I learned to properly lube my Glock the cleaning time was reduced drastically. I didn't realize that all the oil/lube was the reason my weapon was getting so dirty. You can google hickok45 and he has videos on Lubing a weapon too. Good luck.

Dam your a "man" or "woman" after about 100 rounds threw mine I can barely feel my hand. I do like shooting it but no where near as many times as other semi autos. I picked the 232 because I thought it was perfect compromise between size to carry and shootablility. What kind of magazines do you use? I have been looking for new ones but have read a alot of bad things about newr ones. Thanks shadowwalker.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we're moving and I only use factory mags. I shoot alot with my 40cal but most of the time I shoot my 45acp or my 45 long colt ahh my wife says get busy we are moving

I would send it back to the manufacturer. Sigs are supposed to be run lightly oiled. They also say before you fire any new weapon that you should remove the factory grease and re-apply oil as needed. Also when I purchased my sig, it came with their own oil. You could call and see if they could send you some, but I use hoppe's oil and solution on all my guns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links