Problems with correct type of lubricant.

This is a discussion on Problems with correct type of lubricant. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, first off hope this works not exactly sure what I am doing but I couldn't find answers to my questions else where. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Problems with correct type of lubricant.

Hello, first off hope this works not exactly sure what I am doing but I couldn't find answers to my questions else where.
    I have a P232 that after 50-100 rounds of target ammo I get double feeds stove pipes and failure to feed. I am using Hoppes oil. I have used this and similar oils in lots of other guns with no problems. An "old man" at the range said I should try grease but not to happy with that idea. Is this problem normal with this type of pistol. Its my everyday carry also.

Lead Moderator
    Try re- oiling once the issue starts. Or a quick wipe down. The gun may be tight enough it is getting dirty and causing stoppages.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can spray it down with oil when it begins to happen and it will work for a while longer. I just want to fix the problem. Am I using the wrong stuff? I have other pistols that do not have this problem.

Lots of things could be causing your problems - ammo and magazines are the first to come to mind. Does the problem repeat itself with a different brand of ammo? Can you isolate it to just one magazine?

Are you the first owner of the gun? If so, then give Sig a call and make it their problem. If not, perhaps try a fresh set of springs to see if that cures the problems.
    marcclarke, mprp and sensei2 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

sgb
    If it slides grease it, rotates oil it. I Use grease on the slide rails of all my auto-pistols.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'll almost guarantee that your pistol lube or maintenance are not the causes of the problems you are experiencing. If I were you, I'd re-think EDC until the problems are ironed out. 50-100 rounds and issues needs to be fixed for sure. If you're maintaining your pistol before it's needed, then this may lead to problems as well. I do know that between you and us that we can get to the root cause pretty quickly.

Sounds more like an extractor issue, and/ or magazine problem. If it were strictly a lube problem i would think it would effect the slide velocity, which would not cause a double feed. It would be either a stove pipe combined possibly with a partial feed.
    mprp and C hawk Glock like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That's what she said...

How many rounds would it take to wear out springs. I am not the original owner. It shoots great till it gets over 50 rounds. I have tried several brands of ammo, all seem about the same except for some fiocci, it did horrible.

gasmitty , said replace springs, I see this kit from Midway that look very simple. Is this what you where referring to? or sending to factory? I would rather fix myself or locally.

Partial feed? When it starts malfunctioning 90% of the time the round will be stuck at a 45 degree angle on the feed ramp into the barrel. I think I am describing that properly, sorry should have taken a picture. The other 10% is the other problems listed at the top. I will try to stick a round in like when it malfunctions and take a picture.

Administrator
    If your slide is losing velocity on its return to battery then that could very likely result in a partial feed with the slide not having enough energy to overcome the upward force of a fairly new and stiff magazine spring. That in combination with an extractor that is possibly still on the tight side.

A very low friction synthetic grease that stays put might help you a lot until your pistol loosens up a bit.

I would suggest that you try Jardine's Extreme on your frame/slide rails. That should help.

Google it.
    sgb likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    So you're saying that it works fine for about 50 rounds and then dumps on you? And it's consistent like this everytime? The first thing I would do is disassemble the gun, particularly the slide internals (i.e. extractor exc.) and clean it all very well with hoppes #9, or some other good cleaner/degreaser. Make sure your feed ramp and extractor have no obvious burs on them. Then lightly lubricate your contact points. Take it to the range with a couple boxes of different ammo, and try some new mags, or get new mag springs exc. I doubt it's the ammo, but you may as well eliminate that variable. Try the new mags and see if that helps, if it doesn't, and your confident that there isn't some other obvious fixable problem with the gun then it's time to send her to the shop.

Edit: I didn't notice that you mentioned you had already tried lots of different ammo. Still though, you just need to eliminate your other variables. The brand or type of lube you use should not matter much, any name brand cleaner and name brand lube - properly applied - should work just fine.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I would also add that if you are not the original owner, replacing any or all springs with new ones couldn't hurt a thing. Others have stated some real good things to suspect as the problem as well but I sure would be inclined to get new springs so you know how much use they have from new just for that warm fuzzy.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I completely disassemble it and clean with hopps after ever time shooting. I have put about 500 rounds down range with it and every time it gets past 50 rounds it starts. Normally i just start dumping in oil to keep it running, but I know there is a problem. I have put 500 rounds threw my usp in one sitting with no problem.

I guess I will start looking for a spring kit, and go by the gun shop Mon. and find some grease.
    Thanks to everyone who has given advice.

I've got a Sig P-232. Those little blowback .380's can be particularly sensitive to "limp wristing". Any chance that this is inadvertently happening after fifty to a hundred rounds? I know I have to watch it with mine. That recoil gets tiring after a time. It's probably not the cause, but thought I'd mention it.
    sgb likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links