Who's been to a decent gun show lately?

This is a discussion on Who's been to a decent gun show lately? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been to two local gun shows in the past eight days. Quite frankly.......I've asked for my admission back at the front door at both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Who's been to a decent gun show lately?

I've been to two local gun shows in the past eight days. Quite frankly.......I've asked for my admission back at the front door at both of them. I realize that crackhead dealers have to make their percentage....but how do they expect to compete with online vendors at $20-$50 less than what they have on the table? I'm talking about everything.....pistols, rifles, magazines, accessories, ammo........etc. Overall.......with discounts (printable coupon for $1 off and show your CC permit for $1 off)..........two weeks I'm out $13 for nothing and not to mention round trip gasoline for 100+ miles yesterday. I've just about had my fill of stupid gun shows once again.....raping and stealing from common folks $6-$7 at a time with absolutely nothing worthwhile to back it up. Anything found at these gun shows can be found online including shipping for WAY less than vendors want at the table. Just who do you think we are anyway? (show promoters and vendors) I'm done with gun shows for another year or two. Not good for my health. Overpriced flea markets. Admission is a joke. I would like to be compensated by G&S promotions and RK shows for both of these worthless shows I attended in the past week. $13 paypal would be acceptable. Crawl to me on your hands and knees and ask my forgiveness and my paypal address. Otherwise I'll speak the truth about your local shows from now on. No shows are better than your shows.
    RemMod597 and mbguy29577 like this.

The big ones in Phoenix are usually worth while... bulk ammo is almost always cheaper than what I'd pay via 'net shopping, and the shows are usually large enough to draw enough vendors who are willing to undersell the competition or at least negotiate. But for buying new guns, the chances of a real score are slim to none. I've done well finding bargain used guns, but that's nothing you can count on.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Yeah,they have kind of sucked lately.

What some of the out of state vendors dont realize is that here in Arkansas we have some of the lowest prices in the nation. It used to be you could go to a gun show and get better prices than you could at the local gunshops, but it hasnt been that way in years.

And the admission thing, that annoys me. I remember walking right in, no questions asked. Admission for what? So you can spend your money?

Overpriced guns, over priced ammo, over priced knives and other crap that shouldnt even be there. I dont go like I used to.

The best deals are when you are waiting in line and people have guns slung over their shoulders. You can deal with them before they get in there and do good.
    oneshot and mano3 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I went to one this weekend and got a new XDs. I traded a vendor a XD45 and $100 for it. Actually I been to three shows this year and got a weapon at all three and reloading supplies at two of them. It's all about negotiating, however the vendors are extremely proud of their guns. I had/have no qualms in telling them that in front of them and other possible customers. They tend not to like it, but when they're trying to get 80-90 more than anywhere else it's a little stupid on their part.

I gave up years ago.

VIP Member
    Have had good luck at the last few gun shows Iíve been to. Having no interest in the latest and greatest whiz-bang must have plastic guns I have picked up some nice classics. Got a S&W Model 25 in 45LC for $500, then found a nice S&W Model 60 for $400 and a S&W Model 40 for $350. With a bit of shopping I have made good buys on reloading components and hard to find ammo or brass for calibers such as 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 256 Win Mag, 220 Swift and a few others. You just have to keep a sharp out and be willing to haggle with the sellers.

IMG_0709.JPG M-60R.JPG S&W_Model_40_R.JPG
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm a dealer and setup all over Florida. Gunshows are not really supposed to be about selling brand new items at retail costs. They are not intended for huge stores and business that setup at some shows. That ruins a lot of shows. I'm not a business and don't sell things you can buy off an online store. I sell mostly vintage, rare, and collectable firearms.
    Now, I agree that some dealers are full blown retail and wont budge on prices. Thats ridiculous. But on the other hand, they are still firearms and still worth a lot of money. Don't sit here and bad mouth ALL the shows and dealers (crackheads?!) because someone won't sell you a firearm for next to NOTHING. Let me guess, your one of the guys that comes HOURS after the show starts.. and bltch and complains that there's no "deals".. lol
    PIMking and ppkheat like this.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I've never looked at guns shows as the ultimate low price emporium. I use the open display to handle and fondle, to look and learn, to easily compare many products, all within a few hours. I gladly pay my $7 for 3 hours of wholesome entertainment. Much better use of my money than a crap-filled Hollywood movie IMHO.

Every now and again a deal is found, a gun or ammo bought for a great price, or I just hang out with a friend or two. I don't always buy, (usually do), but I still leave with a smile on my face.

I love gun shows. Maybe it's a "attitude" perspective.

VIP Member
    I like going alright, sometimes it's something to do on a Saturday. There are things at gunshows I don't like. So be it, I have the opportunity to walk right on by that table and look at something I do like.

If we start boycotting/ignoring gun shows we'll eventually lose them. I like supporting anything that the anti-gun people hate.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've never looked at guns shows as the ultimate low price emporium. I use the open display to handle and fondle, to look and learn, to easily compare many products, all within a few hours. I gladly pay my $7 for 3 hours of wholesome entertainment. Much better use of my money than a crap-filled Hollywood movie IMHO.

Every now and again a deal is found, a gun or ammo bought for a great price, or I just hang out with a friend or two. I don't always buy, (usually do), but I still leave with a smile on my face.

I love gun shows. Maybe it's a "attitude" perspective.
    Ya i'm pretty much in this boat. I just like to go and handle everything and compare. I've just been to 2 in the last year or so - one was small and WAY pricy but the other was huge and prices were actually somewhat decent. But ya I'll gladly pay to go fondle guns and hang out with like minded gun lovers. I remember going to several when I was alot younger and buying knifes - I loved the gun show. I have no problem supporting them now so some young kids get a chance to go and fall in love with guns too. Plus last one I went to I got my dad and his wife to meet us there, they've been looking into getting something. It was a good hanging out with family and looking at guns.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Asked for your money back? Be real. The dealers too have transportation costs, table costs, employee costs to cover. Try Haggling on the price a little. For me, just to be able to see and touch all the different kinds of guns is worth the price of admission.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Secret Spuk and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I too have become bored with gun shows. I have slacked off for many of the same reasons. And I agree with the point that they were not really meant for big retailers to come and set up shop. I stay away from the generic tables and prefer to skirt the fringes looking for those treasures on the mom and pop private tables. That's where the real great deals are to be found. But you won't find many generic guns like polymer guns there. That where you find the nice S&W, Colt, and other older more worthy investments.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    The last one I went to, almost didn't have any guns. They shoulda called it the knife, taser & t-shirt show. They didn't even have any food vendors there. Lame.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah,they have kind of sucked lately.

What some of the out of state vendors dont realize is that here in Arkansas we have some of the lowest prices in the nation. It used to be you could go to a gun show and get better prices than you could at the local gunshops, but it hasnt been that way in years.

And the admission thing, that annoys me. I remember walking right in, no questions asked. Admission for what? So you can spend your money?

Overpriced guns, over priced ammo, over priced knives and other crap that shouldnt even be there. I dont go like I used to.

The best deals are when you are waiting in line and people have guns slung over their shoulders. You can deal with them before they get in there and do good.

^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ones that used to be really good around here (Gibralter Trade Show) N.{Mt. Clemens} and S. {Down River}
    Have mostly sucked the last several years or so.

Never used to charge to get in, now its $2 in the gate then $5@ the door and check your CCW weapon @ the door, via zipstrip, and look through mostly small amounts of ammo, small choices, with moderate to high prices.
    It takes up 1/2 -1/4 the size it used to, back in the day.

One or two vendor do well, with firearms $25-50 higher than what you'd pay online, so do the math and support a local(Mi.) based Company or pay to have most firearms go through an FFL.
    I've yet to go to the great big one they have in Birch Run at their expo center, which I believe they have 2x a year.
    Gonna have to get there, my brother says its a lot better.

Birch Run.....Birch Run Gun & Knife Show, Michigan

This page is showing Thanksgiving weekend.
    Why they wanna mess up my deerhunting?

This one lists dates around the state @ various locations
    With Birch Run having a show in September.
    Michigan Gun and Knife Shows
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro2340 .357sig

VIP Member
    I'm not a frequent flier to gunshows, but if I go, I don't bother with the pricey new stuff which I can get from my wholesalers. Like Gman I look for the off beat, curios, relics, and old craftsmen to talk with.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links