Guns locked in hot cars

This is a discussion on Guns locked in hot cars within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by PEF A glock can melt, though. So get a stainless steel Smith and Wesson revolver. Yeah but Glocks can go through metal ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Guns locked in hot cars

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    A glock can melt, though. So get a stainless steel Smith and Wesson revolver.
    Yeah but Glocks can go through metal detectors becasue they're all plastic
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

I leave guns in my car all the time. I have done it for years with no problems at all.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

No, there is no chance (unsubstantiated and undocumented). But you may notice the steel sweating out the protective lubricant and may want to condition a little more often.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I admit this wasn't first in my mind (bad Cory)- but, who here has thought about how the gun feels about being left in a hot car all day while you go have fun? How would you feel if someone left you in a hot car all day while they went and had fun? You'd feel pretty unloved. And probably kinda heat strokey...

Anyway...

The point here is that your guns have feelings too, and you shouldn't hurt them by leaving the guns in a hot car all day.
    revldm, joker1 and mprp like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    There is a real danger your firearms will be ruined. Best send them to me for safe keeping.

Seriously though, I have left weapons and ammo in the vehicle in all kinds of weather. My spare rounds stay in the vehicle for 1-2 years on average. They have always gone bang when rotated out.

Revolvingmag, I hear what you're saying, but it still gets hotter when you dump a few mags through it. It can take it.

As long as it isnt in direct sun, it shouldnt get too hot. I take it the gun doesnt sit up on the dash? My shift knob is metal and that sucker gets extremely hot. You're risk of having a round cook off is about as good as any other time a gun "just goes off". Aint gonna happen.

I live in SC and I've left my S&W 642 in my glove compartment for the last 3 yrs w/o any problems.
    However I spoke with a NRA instructor who said he was knowledgable about ammo and he said it is the ammo that might be affected by the heat. (Whatever that means.)

^ Maybe, but im sure its a one in a billion shot. I keep 120 rounds of .223 (60 of which are in metal GI mags), and ~100 rounds of .45 in metal mags in the car. They are exposed to the sun and i've never worried a bit. Even after those couple weeks of 100+ heat theres no worries.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    When I worked for Hercules Inc. (now Alliant), we used to bake loaded ammunition all the time. This was not done to make them cook off, but to ensure that excessive heat did not impact ballistics. I am sure that most, if not all of the modern powder manufacturers are still heat testing. I would imagine the ammo manufacturers do the same. This is a non-problem.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Mythbusters tested this out in addition to all the info above - if it's how enough to cook off a round, you've got other problems.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I work a second shift job,4 to 12. In the summer it can get up over 100 in a hurry in the car, but I have never had a problem with my ammo even though i keep the gun in the car all day.

Don’t do it; I left mine in the truck yesterday and look what happen to it
    Sig-Sauer-Pro-Oven-Melted-1.jpg

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Don’t do it; I left mine in the truck yesterday and look what happen to it
    Sig-Sauer-Pro-Oven-Melted-1.jpg
    Guru, the name of your pic, "Sig-Sauer-Pro-Oven-Melted-1.jpg" gives you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Guru, the name of your pic, "Sig-Sauer-Pro-Oven-Melted-1.jpg" gives you away.
    Yeah you don't have to be Batman to figure that out.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Mythbusters Epidsode 85:

Bullets can explode with lethal force if they are stored inside a hot oven.

busted

The Mythbusters placed a .22 caliber, .44 caliber, and .50 caliber bullet inside an oven. All of the bullets exploded once the oven was hot enough, but none of them were able to penetrate the oven. Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets.

A gun can fire a bullet with lethal force if stored inside a hot oven.

confirmed

The Mythbusters placed a loaded .38 caliber revolver inside a hot oven pointing towards the oven door. Once the temperature was high enough, the gun automatically discharged and sent the bullet out of the oven, which could potentially kill anybody who happened to be standing in front of the oven.

Never going to get hot enough inside a car to make ammo go bang though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links