please help. grip tape question.

This is a discussion on please help. grip tape question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a ruger sr9c and I want to put grip tape on it. Iv only found one option and its just plain old black. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426

Thread: please help. grip tape question.

please help. grip tape question.

I own a ruger sr9c and I want to put grip tape on it. Iv only found one option and its just plain old black. I was gonna eventually to a custome paint job on the gun and was looking for some color on the handle. I saw one guy say he used skateboard deck tape. Does anyone know where I can look for some grip tape for my gun, or has anyone here ever used the skateboard tape option?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

BritishAgent likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

well a sheet of skateboard grip tape is about 3$ for 9"x36". before you go and buy a 15$-20$ pre cut piece why not pop down to a local skate shop or order one on amazon?

and i am fairly certain the only difference is these custom gun grip companies water jet a pattern out of the same stuff and mark it up.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I used skateboard tape on one of my 1911s for a while. Works well, the adhesive hangs on like there's no tomorrow, and you can't beat the price.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Any shop that sells skateboards and related products will generally have "skateboard tape" in stock. It's popular stuff.

Then there's anti-skid "deck" tape. Often, it's far grittier, though it does come in a variety of types. You should be able to find this at any home improvement type store (ie, Lowe's, Home Depot).

There's the AGrip product by Brooks Tactical, which comes in pre-cutout forms for various pistols.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The grip tape is also popular for competition. Thing is.........grip tape on a pistol used for USPSA must meet stringent requirements. I figure there has got to be somewhere that has this pre-cut for certain pistols to meet requirements. Then again, maybe you could try some of the automotive rubberized undercoating that comes in a spray can.

Stippling is always an option. I stippled some polymer grips and was just completely blown away by how easy it was and how much it helped that particular weapon. I've seen people stipple Glocks, Springfields, etc. Metal can even be stippled. Just not with a worked nail in a soldering iron. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Distinguished Member
    What I use isn't skateboard grip tape, but instead the rubberized grip tape designed for marine applications. Grips just as well as skate tape, but is far less abrasive.

Found it in 1.5" wide rolls and bought about 6" for a couple bucks. In the last two years, I've never had to replace it. Still looks like the day I put it on. They also had multiple colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    What I use isn't skateboard grip tape, but instead the rubberized grip tape designed for marine applications. Grips just as well as skate tape, but is far less abrasive.

Found it in 1.5" wide rolls and bought about 6" for a couple bucks. In the last two years, I've never had to replace it. Still looks like the day I put it on. They also had multiple colors.
    Would you care to share your source? I use rubberized texture Talons (as opposed to the granulated texture), this sounds similar. Plus I'd rather cut it myself since Talon doesn't actually make grips for my pistol.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Would you care to share your source? I use rubberized texture Talons (as opposed to the granulated texture), this sounds similar. Plus I'd rather cut it myself since Talon doesn't actually make grips for my pistol.
    Just a local hardware store.

Try bike innertube,$2.00 get you a lot of cuts and it's removeable without all the sticky.

Look at tractiongrips.com He makes custom grips for a variety of firearms. You can have an aggressive skateboard type or a rubberized stippled type feel. They run 6.99 shipped i think
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Try bike innertube,$2.00 get you a lot of cuts and it's removeable without all the sticky.
    this is what i did, works great on my shield. Just remember to turn inside out and wash it, makes its much tackier. I was even able to use a road tire I was given just cut into strips

I use skate board tape on my 1911s and Glocks in USPSA SS and Production divisions. It comes in lots of different colors and a roll will last a long time. Its cheap and works.

Links