This is a discussion on 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking through different threads it seems that many, maybe most, either have a 1911 and love it or have it high on their wish list. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1911

Looking through different threads it seems that many, maybe most, either have a 1911 and love it or have it high on their wish list. So my question is what is a good choice for me as I want a 1911 that is stainless with nice looks that doesn't have all kinds of added stuff that detracts from the elegant beauty of the gun. I want to buy just one and I want it to satisfy my eyes as well as my shooting needs. Yea, I know, I'm not going to marry the darn thing, but since I will only be able to get the wife to accept one 1911 in my collection I want it to be something I will love to look at years from now not just when it is brand new. I think you all know what I mean. So please make your suggestions if you will. Again I want it to be stainless and not with a bunch of add on stuff. I will probably want some nice handles in a wood base but that would be it I think. So, if you don't mind give me your suggestions and pics or links if you have them.

Thanks in advance.

Colt.
    Doodle likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    What kind of budget are we discussing? You know, sky's the limit on 1911's.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I agree, no way to go wrong on a Colt short of a lemon. The Ruger 1911 has been getting very good reviews as well, if you want to spend a bit less than you would on the Colt. The other good maker I have experience with is Springfield. I still think Colt beats them all though.

It sounds like you just want to look at it, but if you do intend to use it understand that it's single-action only. That hasn't changed since 1911.

JD
    Administrator
    Low/Mid range in price:

Colt Series 70 Reproduction
    Ruger SR1911
    Springfield MilSpec

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    What kind of budget are we discussing? You know, sky's the limit on 1911's.
    True. I would spend what I need to to get one that ensures I will continue to be satified with the purchase. So I can't say no budget, but I think it matters less than getting what I want.
    Thanks for your reply.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Dan Wesson Valor if you go with a production 1911. For a bit more you can get into the semi-custom market and Les Baers are a good starting point there..
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Another thing is what do you want it for? Conceal or open carry? Maybe home defense? Maybe just to take to the range? That may help with suggestions too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    I guess the first question should be, what are you looking to spend?

If you looking for a 1911 along the "Classic" lines, the Colt Series 70 Reproduction might interest you. No added safety if that bothers you, no big beavertail, no gas pedal sized thumb safety, and it is offered in stainless steel.

Colt Series 70

Springfield still offers their "Mil-Spec" model in stainless also, considerably less money, but more cast and MIM parts.

Springfield Armory
    JD likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    It sounds like you just want to look at it, but if you do intend to use it understand that it's single-action only. That hasn't changed since 1911.
    LOL, no I want to shoot it just like I do all my guns. I am not a novice gun owner and I know it's a single action. Just looking for the experience and informed decision others have made to their satifaction. But I admit, I expected this type of reply.

Thanks for your input!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Low/Mid range in price:

Ruger SR1911
    Springfield MilSpec
    That would be my suggestion also, all good values and will not break the bank.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Low/Mid range in price:

Ruger SR1911
    Springfield MilSpec
    Great minds.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

b
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I agree, no way to go wrong on a Colt short of a lemon. The Ruger 1911 has been getting very good reviews as well, if you want to spend a bit less than you would on the Colt. The other good maker I have experience with is Springfield. I still think Colt beats them all though.
    Thank you Peckman. I think this is in line with what I have read elsewhere. Colt does seem to have a lot of satified 1911 owners. Thank you Sir.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links