Another transfer a gun question--mods, move if in the wrong forum

This is a discussion on Another transfer a gun question--mods, move if in the wrong forum within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the situation. I want to drive to PA and bring a gun with me. My license and FOPA will allow that. I would like ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Another transfer a gun question--mods, move if in the wrong forum

VIP Member

Here's the situation. I want to drive to PA and bring a gun with me. My license and FOPA will allow that.
    I would like to leave the gun at my son's home. Then, travel in places where my license isn't good.
    So, it will have to stay at his house. He is not licensed.

A) I assume he can have one in his Phila home without a license so long as he doesn't go outside with it.
    Is that right?

B) Can I leave it at his place --retaining ownership--- in a sense, though it would remain there and not
    be formally his? Maybe I won't be back for 6 months, but as the one with the carry license, it would be mine not his. Would that be legal?

C) When in PA can I go to an FFL and transfer it to his name without first shipping it from a TX FFL?

D) Even if I shipped it from here to there through an FFL to FFL transfer, am I right that I would not
    be able to pick it up at the PA end because I'm not a PA resident and son can't pick it up because he lacks a a PA license? Is that right?

E) If I shipped it FFL to FFL would he be able to pick it up even though he lacks a license, and just hand it to me to take (carry it) to his house?

The simple way here would be to just bring it and leave it there, but I'm not sure that is kosher.

Thoughts.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Good evening. I would check Handgunlaw.us. It may answer questions A and B. As for the rest, if it was me, I would contact the local gun store nearest him and ask. I hope this helps but I'm pretty new to all this so sorry if i am way off mark.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Here's the situation. I want to drive to PA and bring a gun with me. My license and FOPA will allow that.
    I would like to leave the gun at my son's home. Then, travel in places where my license isn't good.
    So, it will have to stay at his house. He is not licensed.

A) I assume he can have one in his Phila home without a license so long as he doesn't go outside with it.
    Is that right?

There is no purchase permit, or permit to posses, nor is a permit required to legally transport or legally open carry the pistol. He can leave the house with it cased/unloaded and transport by car etc. But NO open carry in car without license to carry firearms.

B) Can I leave it at his place --retaining ownership--- in a sense, though it would remain there and not
    be formally his? Maybe I won't be back for 6 months, but as the one with the carry license, it would be mine not his. Would that be legal?

Sure, it's your property. There is also no registration in PA. There's also legal gifting options from father to son etc.

C) When in PA can I go to an FFL and transfer it to his name without first shipping it from a TX FFL?

Yes

D) Even if I shipped it from here to there through an FFL to FFL transfer, am I right that I would not
    be able to pick it up at the PA end because I'm not a PA resident and son can't pick it up because he lacks a a PA license? Is that right?

Correct that you can not pick up gun, your son CAN pick up the gun, PA only has a license to carry firearms, again no purchase permit etc.

E) If I shipped it FFL to FFL would he be able to pick it up even though he lacks a license, and just hand it to me to take (carry it) to his house?

Sure, buy why pay for shipping and a transfer fee (he must sign for the gun etc.) just to hand the gun back to you?

The simple way here would be to just bring it and leave it there, but I'm not sure that is kosher.

It is. There's nothing prohibiting you from leaving it there.

Thoughts.

My text in blue.

VIP Member
    +1 To what JD said. I live near the PA/OH border so I sell firearms to PA residents every now and then. I just meet the buyer at a gun shop on their side of the border to do the transaction. No problems, but then again I'm not anywhere near Philly.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My text in blue.
    Thanks--- Another question. Maybe my misunderstanding, but I thought it was illegal to transfer a handgun interstate without going through FFLs. So, is the a problem with this: "There's also legal gifting options from father to son etc." or do I just
    leave it with him and how is this different from an interstate transfer of a handgun?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks--- Another question. Maybe my misunderstanding, but I thought it was illegal to transfer a handgun interstate without going through FFLs. So, is the a problem with this: "There's also legal gifting options from father to son etc." or do I just
    leave it with him and how is this different from an interstate transfer of a handgun?
    Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, that would still need a transfer, thers was supposed to be a question mark at the end of that sentence.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, that would still need a transfer, thers was supposed to be a question mark at the end of that sentence.
    SO best way would be to bring it with me, go with him to an FFL in PA, and have them transfer it to his name.

He needs no license to transport it back to his home in the original box, unloaded, by car. And, in any case I would be legal to carry it back to his house for him because I have a valid PA reciprocity CHL.

Does that make sense.

And, in any case, I can leave my gun in his house and it is not a transfer or a gift. It is just being held for me. Is that right?
    Andrew Jackson

Be very careful when in Phila. They take a dim view of anyone carrying a weapon even those of us who have PA carry permits.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Hopyard here are two links to PAFOA (PENNSYLVANIA FIREARM OWNERS ASSOCIATION) that may be of interest.

Concealed Carry,In Phila.

Trasporting from MD to PA

Safe travels!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Senior Moderator
    You do not need an FFL because you are not doing a "transfer" as far as the ATF is concerned. If it is legal to leave the gun in that state under the control of a relative which can legally own a gun, which it is, this does not qualify as a transfer.

A transfer would apply when shipping though the U.S Mail or a common carrier such as UPS. In that case, you would need an FFL to recieve the gun. If you carry it in your vehicle, you are perfectly legal as long as the states that you travel through to get there are OK with it.

A transfer is considered permanent, and this is not, its considered more of a loan.

I just went through this same thing about 3 weeks ago with the ATF and got a clarification on it. Their stance was that no transfer or FFL was needed as long as both parties could legally own the gun.
    JD likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links