1911 kind of birthday???

1911 kind of birthday???

This is a discussion on 1911 kind of birthday??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 30th birthday is coming up and my wife seems to be on board with me getting a 1911. By on board I mean she ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By FLSlim
  • 1 Post By TheRevolverGuy
  • 2 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By molleur

Thread: 1911 kind of birthday???

1911 kind of birthday???

My 30th birthday is coming up and my wife seems to be on board with me getting a 1911. By on board I mean she realizes the prices associated with them. I am going to try to express my thinking as best I can and please feel fee to tell me how wrong or right I am, in your opinion. I am also looking for opinions on the route I should take. Brands is a start but specifics and details are nice also. If its a Colt gold cup, why? And yes I know because it's a Colt!

I believe that I want a standard size 5" model for the following reasons. It will be my 1st 1911. I want something that I can play with (modify) and think the standard platform as Mr. Browning conceived it is the right place to start. I do not want one with a more specific (potential) use. What I mean by that is if/when I fall in love with this one, I can then say, well I don't want to carry a 5" model so I should get a shorter barrel/commander etc. one, right hunny?!?!?!

I believe that around $1,000 is the budget. So that means, much under is ok and a little over might be ok. I will be sticking with .45 acp, although a Colt defender (i believe) is a contender in 10mm. .45 acp obviously has more options so that is the round I am planning on using. I (think I) want to carry one eventually but want to start with a full size. Who knows maybe I will carry it.

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions. Can't wait to start googling all of the options you folks offer!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Colt. If not, I like my Kimber, although there are some that do not. Haven't heard much bad about Springfield or SIG, but SIGs can be painful to pay for.

I got a Kimber because Colts are impossible to find around here. I have the Custom II Stainless, paid 800 for it, and then had some good sights mounted. Runs good, no trouble.

Colt, Kimber, or Springer would be my advice, in that order.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    This buyers guide can be if assistance to you I do believe. It covers a wife range of 1911s in both style and price.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Thanks to both of you. Multistage, I am definitely leaning the Colt direction. Do you have any model or feature recommendations? I know that I do not want the standard GI style as I like the large beaver tail look, maybe an ambi safety, skeleton hammer and trigger etc.

Deadguy, going to read that right now with my coffee, thanks!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Colts are great, but you have to ask yourself whether you want a Series 70 or 80. Series 80 has the firing pin safety block, which IMO, makes the trigger a little less crisp than a Series 70, as well as making detail stripping more tedious, and just plain adding one more set of moving parts to worry about. I don't feel that a firing pin safety is necessary, especially with an extra-power firing pin spring from Wolff.

The only Series 70 Colt makes (that I'm aware of) is a GI style. If you're interested in a Series 70 mechanism with all the goodies for under $1k, I would look into a Springfield Loaded or a used Dan Wesson.

Just my $0.02

VIP Member
    I'd go with either the Colt or Springfield. No experience with Colt, but I know from experience that Springfield stands behind there guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The only "fancy" 1911 I own is a SIG 1911. It works pretty well now, but it is a warranty replacement for the first SIG 1911, which was a total lemon. Even this one came with an out of spec slide stop that was replaced with one from my Springfield GI. I also have a Series 80 Colt Government Model. My favorite is easily the Colt, followed by the Springfield and finally the SIG. The Springfield and Colt have both been far more drama-free than the SIG, and based on my experiences I believe those two brands are good places to look. The fact that you're already leaning heavily towards Colt tells me you're on the right track, and best of luck to you.

My favorite "starter" 1911 is the STI Spartan. It is a lot of gun for the money (a bit over $600) and a superb shooter. As far as I'm concerned it is a can't miss choice.
    Brad426 and RebelSoul like this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Colt. I like the Commander. Still a bit heavy for CC[ get a good belt] but it hides well.

My first , and at this time my only, 1911 is the series 80 gov. model colt. I love this gun. the only thing I would change and I will as time goes on is the hammer. It is a standard hammer and I just don't like the sharp point on it as it sometimes digs into my side when I carry it. I want to have a rounded hammer instead. I looked at a lot of diffrent 1911s before I bought this one and I feel that the colt quallty is outstanding. Remember that colt has has been making 1911s long before anyone ever heard of Kimber.

IMG_20140418_162208_187.jpg
    This is my first 1911, it's a mut, but a darn fine one. Its a Foster Ind. frame, a Wilson Combat Slide, and G.I. Spec internals. I got mine for a steal, but i would say it could be had for around $400-$600. and i must say, its one of the finest feeling firearms ive ever held.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

It's been a while, but I went with the Colt lw xse commander. I love it. It definitely gave me the itch. Currently eyeing a gi Colt. Really want a 10mm Delta elite. Hell I want em all.
    OD* and deadguy like this.
    BigJon

Distinguished Member
    Can't go too wrong with a 1911...
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Entry level full size? Hard to beat the Ruger for the price.

Spending a few more bucks? STI and Colt. Springfield and Kimber following close.

Have fun researching and deciding. Don't fret over the decision too much - saps all the fun out of it! Pull the trigger and shoot the daylights out of the one you buy. Tomorrow is a new day and every day is a good day to buy a gun!

Good Luck let us know what you decide!
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The only thing I really insist on is improved sights and a short trigger. With those two improvements Id be happy with the 1911 GI! One of my sons has a Kimber PRO Carry, Id have to say it shot pretty sweet! DR

Links