Possible AR front sight issue

This is a discussion on Possible AR front sight issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does it have any other functional problems? My first thought is that if the gas block is off center it may not eject properly (and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible AR front sight issue

Does it have any other functional problems? My first thought is that if the gas block is off center it may not eject properly (and this is why you cant just whack the sight over and expect it to work). You see the gas system in IN the front sight housing. I'm stunned that they got the gas tube to work, to be honest. Odds are its hitting the bolt carrier incorrectly and wont las that long. Just a thought. Have em replace it. Sounds like the barrel isnt on correctly.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Does it have any other functional problems? My first thought is that if the gas block is off center it may not eject properly (and this is why you cant just whack the sight over and expect it to work). You see the gas system in IN the front sight housing. I'm stunned that they got the gas tube to work, to be honest. Odds are its hitting the bolt carrier incorrectly and wont last that long. Just a thought. Have em replace it. Sounds like the barrel isnt on correctly.
    Well......there are seldom functional problems associated with the canted front sight (other than not hitting target). Gas tube is long, and aluminum. You just don't understand the design I'm thinking. Barrel may be indexed fine, but front sight post is drilled and pinned to barrel. If you're thinking the whole barrel with front sight assembly is off......this isn't the case. That would be easily more fixable than a canted front sight post. IMO, you're over thinking things here. I'm not sure how to better explain to you the difference. I'm almost sure that's on it's way though.
    If you ever get down this way.......I'll take you to the range......you can shoot 100 rounds through anything I have, and I'll take you to the best burger joint in Ft Smith Arkansas. Your smile at the end of that day is something I would look forward to.
    Did you know? I got a 100 round drum mag for my AR........gotta try it out!

Naw Ram I understand the design fine. I've built several of them. There just isnt that much "play" on that gas outlet and I was thinking that if the front sight block was off it might be cutting off some of the flow. And youd literally have to adjust the gas tube to make the bolt function/mate up properly. I've seen the bolt carrier gas tube crack from just that problem!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Well, I got an Aimpoint PRO and MBUS combo kit and finally got it to the range today. I dialed in the PRO, and then went to the MBUS. I got that zeroed at 25 yds, then moved it out to 100 yds. Elevation was off (no big surprise), but windage was right on. Maybe the PSA rear sight I got was a piece of garbage.

I'm pretty happy with this rifle now. I wouldn't hesitate to get the lower half from PSA, and probably wouldn't hesitate to get the upper half from them either, but now that I've got my foot in the door of the AR world, I'll probably go with one of the top tier manufacturers.
    Last edited by tubadude; August 21st, 2012 at 08:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links