Possible AR front sight issue

This is a discussion on Possible AR front sight issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got the upper receiver for my AR the other day. When I was checking it out, I noticed the front sight base was canted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible AR front sight issue

Possible AR front sight issue

I got the upper receiver for my AR the other day. When I was checking it out, I noticed the front sight base was canted a little to the left. Should I be seeing about sending it back, or should I see if I can zero it without going to the extremes of adjustment first? This is my first AR, so I don't really know what is normal, or within tolerances.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I got the upper receiver for my AR the other day. When I was checking it out, I noticed the front sight base was canted a little to the left. Should I be seeing about sending it back, or should I see if I can zero it without going to the extremes of adjustment first? This is my first AR, so I don't really know what is normal, or within tolerances.
    Send it back before you waste any ammo trying to sight it in. I got a Bushmaster many years ago that had this same problem. I spent 90 rounds and plenty of time trying to get on paper. They did take care of it after I contacted them about it. Only problem I've ever had out of a Bushmaster or an AR15. Normal is not a canted front sight. You'll never be able to "zero" your rifle with this problem.

Thanks. I figured (and hoped it wasn't) that would be the case. I'll give the manufacturer a call in the morning....er, afternoon...after I go to bed and then wake up.

Thanks. I figured (and hoped it wasn't) that would be the case. I'll give the manufacturer a call in the morning....er, afternoon...after I go to bed and then wake up.
    I should hope they cover it under warranty. They should send UPS to your door to pick up in original package just the way you got it. Uppers do not need to be sent through an FFL. I can only hope you'll get a brand new replacement upper with no issues within a couple of weeks. Canted front sight on AR15 upper does happen. I know....been down that road myself.
    Good nite, and above all.....keep us up to date.

VIP Member
    Who made it?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Who made it?
    I'll tell when the issue has (or hasn't) been resolved.

UPDATE: I went to my LGS to speak with their gunsmith to get a pair of educated eyes to look it over. He agreed that it was wrong. I sent the manufacturer an email, and a few hours later I got a call to follow up. After a few seconds on the phone, they sent me a return label. I've got it all boxed up and it is waiting for the regular UPS pickup at my mom's place of business.

sgb
    This was a fairly common problem with Bushmaster some years back. Your upper wouldn't be from windham weaponry would it?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    Bushmaster is going to whack it with a rubber mallet to straighten it out and send it back.

Not a problem unless you need to take it off and then it will not be easy as the lower two pins will be bent.

Its a common fix on a not so common issue with AR's, but pretty common with AK's. The fix is the same.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It's not Bushmaster or a Bushmaster derivative. I could have had it taken care of at the shop, but I'm not going to pay to fix something that should never have left the factory.

Senior Moderator
    It's not Bushmaster or a Bushmaster derivative. I could have had it taken care of at the shop, but I'm not going to pay to fix something that should never have left the factory.
    And you shouldnt have to...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I got the upper back from PSA today. They didn't do anything as it is still visibly canted. They did, however, send me used zeroing targets, implying that they zeroed it with other rear sights since I didn't send mine in (it probably would have taken less time to whack it with a hammer to straighten the darn thing out like I wanted than to shoot it). I'll take it out this weekend and see what's up. If I can get it zeroed without using up all of my windage, great. If not, I'll either have my smith take a crack at it, or just move forward in my long term plans for this rifle much earlier than expected (low profile gas block and 9-10" DD M4 rail).

I wouldn't hesitate to get another lower from them, but I would think twice about the upper after this. I'll have another update after I take it out. If it works, great! I'll be sure to mention it, but I am a picky SOB and this definitely annoys me.

Well, I dunno what to say at this point. I wouldn't want to use up my windage just to zero it at 25yds for sure. Now.....just a short class on canted front sight towers on AR15s. It's just the same as a canted scope on a bolt rifle. Sights must be on the same plane and a scope cross hair must be perfectly level. Otherwise, you'll be endlessly chasing your shots with windage adjustments and elevation adjustments because everything is now on an angle, and a 1/4" or one click of adjustment will end up being more than what it should be. While you may eventually get on paper, you'll likely never shoot a bull's eye, and you'll never be able to compensate accurately with elevation adjustments for distance, since distance will now even further compound the problem. Zero at 25yds, and you may not hit a 3'x3' target at 100yds. Actually 25m and 100m for the .223/5.56 are close for same POI. Must maintain the x and y axis. Canted scopes and canted front sights get you into way too much geometry and calculations.......throwing in a z with x and y is not where you want to be unless you have an engineer in your pocket. I know my explanations are not the same as pictures, but maybe you get the jest. I'm sure there are good articles on the almighty internet that are more descriptive.
    These days....one would think that manufacturers are still somewhat concerned with customer satisfaction, and selling a quality product. Where should we point the finger when it comes to a certain manufacturer, a certain serial number range, actual recalls, and obviously well know problems at the consumer end? It's sort of like big government.....they expect us to swallow whatever they dish out without question. This is how some manufacturers get by (for a while) selling lower quality items much less shipping them out of the plant for sale without fully inspecting each and every one. Okay.......your rifle, but my rant. Thing is.........you have a right to be picky, and if you are thinking you're overly picky and annoyed with a basic $1000 package not being correct...then in my opinion, they're working on you to feel this way (feeling of guilt?). Never settle with their answer or sub-par customer satisfaction. I'd call them back ASAP and tell them (yes.....tell them) you want a brand new upper for replacement. You're not willing to go through the time, effort, and cost to correct their problem. Let them know what you're going to tell about their product and after the sale service to the rest of the world right here on this forum.
    Your long term plans for the rifle need to start with a good foundation. IMO......don't spend more than 20 rounds this weekend trying to get it right. Hey......they shipped out a lemon, you got a lemon, who's to say they are not stacking twenty targets at a time and shooting them.....sending them out as tested targets?
    I just dislike seeing anyone getting ripped on a deal, or an inferior product that the manufacturer won't stand behind 100%. Over the years I've made a mission of seeking satisfaction with all products I've bought new including cameras, TVs, firearms, vehicle batteries, automotive tires.....you name it. Manufacturers need to step it up a bit IMO...and realize they are competing for business in a poor economy with plenty of competition. Even those who are rated best with consumer satisfaction and return customers let one get by now and then.......but they usually solve it post haste. Otherwise they wouldn't maintain their ratings or reviews.
    Again....it's your rifle, and you are dealing with the manufacturer. If it was me........they'd be wetting their pants until I got a (brand new fault free upper, a written corporate apology from someone high up, and at least one box of specialty ammo for me to take to the range and sight it in). I'm never unreasonable.....I only expect that which should be expected.

As long as it zeros within 22 clicks (spec for an M4, if I'm not mistake, though i am going off of memory here), it's still in spec. Once you zero the irons, there's really no reason to change it, so set it and forget it. By this, I mean a very light cant, get it on paper at 25 then zero at 100. Then, check at 25, 50 and 100. If the windage drifts, then there's a problem. If you only see the normal variations in elevation, and you can live with it, you'll be good to go.

My guess is you'll be more along the lines of Ram Rod's explanation though.

Depending on how much it's canted, it may or may not zero. There are do-it-yourself techniques for a quick fix, but I would try to zero then send it in if it bothers you. Personally, I can tolerate being at the far end of spec, but I don't want a canted front sight, even if it zeros.

I just don't understand how so many rifles leave the shop with a canted front sight. WHy do they not catch this and fix it or try harder in the first place? It's a very simple fix with the right tools.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to take it out as soon as I have the time (and I misplaced the rear sight. DD A1.5 is on the way) and try it at 25 and 100 yds. The head of PSA's rifle division also gave me his direct number if it isn't right at the range, and he is the one I spoke to earlier today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links