Ever Thought a gun felt good until you held Another?

This is a discussion on Ever Thought a gun felt good until you held Another? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been shooting pistols for almost a year now. My first two were a Gen 4 Glock 23 and a Sig SP2022. The Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ever Thought a gun felt good until you held Another?

I have been shooting pistols for almost a year now. My first two were a Gen 4 Glock 23 and a Sig SP2022. The Glock felt really good in my hands, the Sig not so much. The Glock is what I have been shooting for the biggest part of the last year. Over 1000 trouble free rounds. However, I recently held a CZ 75B and ever since my Glock has felt like a 2x4. Needless to say, the CZ is on law-away and will be out in a couple weeks.

2. Remove Ads

if it feels good you need to but it.

I don't believe in making a choice based on how it feels in your hand. IMO choice should be based on criteria of need and expectation, then shoot it until it feels like a part of your hand.

I will concede that some guns such as the CZ, 1911, and Colt SAA, seem to feel more natural in my hand from the " git go".
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

No, but I've felt a pistol begin to quickly feel as an extension of my hand while shooting. Two have ever felt that way, for me: Browning Hi-Power, and CZ P-01. Though, I will say the Browning Hi-Power felt pretty darned good simply holding it. Balanced, natural-pointing, solid, controls where they needed to be. Hard not to like 'em, when they fit so well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes... I used to think 1911s, if you had to have an autoloader, were the best thing since sliced bread. Then, maybe a year ago I shot a Browning HiPower for the first time (a .40, no less). Wow. Made for my hand. Need one.

Purely on feel, I still haven't found any handgun I like better than an old-school K/L frame S&W revolver.

But I now carry tupperware - following the philosophy mentioned by glockman above. I came to a point where my perception of the correct answer to my situations and needs overcame my romantic nostalgia. But that didn't mean I had to give up DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't believe in making a choice based on how it feels in your hand. IMO choice should be based on criteria of need and expectation, then shoot it until it feels like a part of your hand.

I will concede that some guns such as the CZ, 1911, and Colt SAA, seem to feel more natural in my hand from the " git go".
    The purpose of the CZ is strictly range gun. By way of feel, it feels like it will be an excellent gun for that. I understand what you are saying though. For something as serious as a carry weapon or home defense gun, other areas should be emphasized first.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

My 1911 felt great in my hand...but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I figured I wasn't good enough with it to carry, and 45 is an expensive range round, so I sold it. I bought a Browning Buckmark 22 lr pistol for range fun, which also feels good in my hand, is cheap to shoot, and I can circumcise a gnat with it from 50 yards. For me, it is all about my ability to perform with a gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The same thing has been said about women... But you can't put them on layaway. Although I do agree that you should purchase based on need or want, it should feel good in your hand right from the start. You should not buy with the intent of learning to become comfortable with it.

Only have had one style of handgun that I did not have to adapt to in order to shoot it well. That was the single action revolvers. They were designed to be on target when pointed and seemed to work exactly as they were designed. I have never been able to pull a double action revolver of any make and be on target without practice. My 1911 would be somewhere in the middle as far as being naturally on target.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jkf74 View Post
    I have been shooting pistols for almost a year now. My first two were a Gen 4 Glock 23 and a Sig SP2022. The Glock felt really good in my hands, the Sig not so much. The Glock is what I have been shooting for the biggest part of the last year. Over 1000 trouble free rounds. However, I recently held a CZ 75B and ever since my Glock has felt like a 2x4. Needless to say, the CZ is on law-away and will be out in a couple weeks.
    I thought that until I got a Mars Armament T.H.U.G. 1911. Then I bought an Ed Brown Special Forces. Then I acquired a Colt Python. It goes on and on.

I love 1911s and my revolvers.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I love my CZ 2075 RAMI BD... amazing shooter!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by jkf74 View Post
    Yes. All the time.

That's why I'm up to something like 40 guns (and counting).

Most recently was picking up an M&P vs. my Glock. I've since sold my Glock I've hand for 12 years and now I have two M&P's.

I still like Glocks and no doubt will have more, but to keep a Glock in a caliber I didn't need (.40 cal) just didn't seem logical to keep anymore just because it was a Glock.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    The natural ergonomics on some guns is just better than others. 1911's, Hi-Powers and CZ are some that have that natural feel for most people. Great ergonomics is not something I've ever heard any Glock owner rave about.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    On the flip side of this, I have a Shield that isn't a natural fit in my hand at all. It's seats in my grip....ok, but not like it was molded for me. Start pulling the trigger and it transforms to the perfect extension. Comfortable and accurate. Go figure.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links