Up and Running in "The Valley" of Virginia

This is a discussion on Up and Running in "The Valley" of Virginia within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods - you may want to move this. We have now been in Virginia a month. As one poster noted, I may have to change ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 383
  • 1 Post By aznav
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 2 Post By Black Knight

Thread: Up and Running in "The Valley" of Virginia

Distinguished Member

Up and Running in "The Valley" of Virginia

Mods - you may want to move this.

We have now been in Virginia a month. As one poster noted, I may have to change my handle to "VaNav". What started out as a very smooth move turned into a major hassle with "the house rental from hell" and a lost moving van that came a week later. As I wrote a friend last week, I ain't 40 no more!" We normally move every six years but this move took the literal wind out of me. The last minute three floor townhouse probably didn't help.

Do I miss Arizona? Does a chicken have lips!? Of course I do. But I am, pardon the pun, warming up the the Shenandoah Valley. People seem genuinely friendly and it is drop dead beautiful. We seem to be just high enough that even the torrid and humid days are tolerable with a breeze and the knowledge that tomorrow could change everything. As I speak it is, for an Arizonan, a bit chilly today with rain and an overcast sky.

Best of all, it appears that a shooting range consists of your backyard and the bank of a hill! My property manager just invited me to go skeet shooting behind his brother's house!! Normally, we rent the first year while looking for a home. There is a chance we may build for the first time and I am looking for property that has that "bank of a hill". Seriously.

I do have the squirrelieze, somewhat, in that no man's land of having an AZ CCW while awaiting my VA CCW. A local LEO told me it's legit to do that since AZ and VA have reciprocity. Oh, I did spend three hours at the DMV trying to get two DL's and two car's registered. Still didn't get the cars registered. Curses on me for EVER complaining about the AZ DMV!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from another Valley resident. Glad to have another ccw in the neighborhood. I live on 7 acres just outside of Harrisonburg, and I do have my own dirt pile in the corner of my yard for a shooting range....lol. It is true that if you don't like our weather, wait five minutes, it will change. Yes, the VA DMV is to be avoided if at all possible.
    aznav likes this.

I moved from the New River Valley in Virginia to Florida 8 months ago. Virginia's a great place to live. I miss the mountains, and this past winter was my first winter without seeing snow. You've moved to a beautiful area. Hope you enjoy it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I moved from the New River Valley in Virginia to Florida 8 months ago. Virginia's a great place to live. I miss the mountains, and this past winter was my first winter without seeing snow. You've moved to a beautiful area. Hope you enjoy it.
    Lived in P'Cola for six years. Beautiful beaches, great fishing, church on every corner (if that's your thing).
    The Gulf Coast, aside from being "The Redneck Rivera", was also affectional referred to as "L.A." - Lower Alabama.
    BugDude likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Glad you are making lemonade.

Whats with the move every six years.....Witness protection, ants in your pants or what?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Welcome to the neighborhood aznav.
    aznav likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome to Virginia. Your just a good sized hop, skip, and jump from Charlottesville. Check out the Shenandoa Parkway especially Big Meadows and Camp Hoover.
    ctr and aznav like this.

VIP Member
    Welcome back aznav. Welcome back to VA. (Didn't you in one post say you were in NoVA some years ago?)
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Lived in P'Cola for six years. Beautiful beaches, great fishing, church on every corner (if that's your thing).
    The Gulf Coast, aside from being "The Redneck Rivera", was also affectional referred to as "L.A." - Lower Alabama.
    "Redneck Riviera"...I'll fit right in!!! I'm about 30 minutes north of Tampa. Gotta drive down to Clearwater, St. Pete, or Sarasota for nice beaches, but that's just a hop, skip, and a jump. The gulf beaches don't have waves like the Atlantic beaches I've always gone to. That just seems strange to me. Very warm and calm water. But heck, only a couple hours from Daytona Beach for that matter.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Welcome to Virginia. Your just a good sized hop, skip, and jump from Charlottesville. Check out the Shenandoa Parkway especially Big Meadows and Camp Hoover.
    Our youngest son teach in C'ville. Beautiful!! Kind of icing on the cake.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Glad you are making lemonade.

Whats with the move every six years.....Witness protection, ants in your pants or what?
    "Ant Protection Program".
    Ok, that was a lie. I have been a civilian contract chaplain with the military for thirty years. We would do two, back-to-back tours of three years each. 12 years with the Navy and 18 years with the Air Force. This last (and hopefully, final!) move had three motives: 1. My wife wanted to go back to the east coast. 2. My wife wanted to go..., no, I mean, we wanted to be within a day's drive of grandchildren. 3. I was offered an incredible job as a college chaplain and as a counselor/mentor for younger college chaplains in the mid-Atlantic. "63" is not the new "43" in this work and I jumped at the opportunity to stay employed. I have many good friends/peers who have not been so fortunate.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome back aznav. Welcome back to VA. (Didn't you in one post say you were in NoVA some years ago?)
    OOOOOWWWWEEEEEOOOOOO!!! I need to be careful what I post. Good on you, "Archer the Memory King". I did live in NoVa and MD for ten years: 71-81.

Distinguished Member
    "Redneck Riviera"...I'll fit right in!!! I'm about 30 minutes north of Tampa. Gotta drive down to Clearwater, St. Pete, or Sarasota for nice beaches, but that's just a hop, skip, and a jump. The gulf beaches don't have waves like the Atlantic beaches I've always gone to. That just seems strange to me. Very warm and calm water. But heck, only a couple hours from Daytona Beach for that matter.
    Yup. You are certainly right about the waves. Then again, if you want to be a wave-snob, I did hit the Pacific Coast a few times and was blown away with their waves. Then there is Hawaii...

VIP Member
    Try Pass A Gribar beach and Fort De Soto park. I used to vacation down there a lot many many years ago. Great Gulf coast beeches.

Links