Question on the 100 round magazine for the AR-15

This is a discussion on Question on the 100 round magazine for the AR-15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the aftermath of the recent shootings in Aurora, Colorado, I heard the gunman had a 100 round magazine for his AR-15. I'm not an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Question on the 100 round magazine for the AR-15

In the aftermath of the recent shootings in Aurora, Colorado, I heard the gunman had a 100 round magazine for his AR-15. I'm not an expert. I'm not up on everything, but I thought this must be bad reporting from some no nothing reporter. I didn't think that was possible. In my curiosity, I started to Google "100 round magazines for the AR-15" and froze. I thought' what if the FBI set up some kind of hot topic surveillance on this? Fishing for copy cat losers.' Ok, I could be overly paranoid, but my original question stands. Is the 100 round magazine ( or drum?) possible for the shoulder carried AR-15? Has anyone seen it?

They do make them, but ive only seen pictures of them. Its not something I would waste my money on because a 100 round magazine would probably more than double the weight of an AR-15.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    SureFire High-Capacity Magazine, 100-Round

They are even on backorder. Very popular obviously. If one was to think like the MSM or the people over at the Brady Bunch, it would just be a matter of time before we have more mass shootings with "assault rifles" and devilish hi-cap magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    SureFire High-Capacity Magazine, 100-Round

They are even on backorder. Very popular obviously. If one was to think like the MSM or the people over at the Brady Bunch, it would just be a matter of time before we have more mass shootings with "assault rifles" and devilish hi-cap magazines.
    It's a strange phenomenon. Morbid curiosity I guess. After the shooting of Congresswoman Giffords in Arizona, those high capacity Glock magazines that Loughner used were scarce as hens' teeth. Apparently, a lot of people felt they had to have the same equipment that he did.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I wonder if anyone makes a 100 round speed loader for my 642.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Sure looks nice to have, I wonder how many guys used either the 60 or 100 in Iraq and Afghanistan. I never knew about the 60rd magazine until last month when I watched a Hickok45 video and he was shooting up a "camp" site on his property.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    It's a strange phenomenon. Morbid curiosity I guess. After the shooting of Congresswoman Giffords in Arizona, those high capacity Glock magazines that Loughner used were scarce as hens' teeth. Apparently, a lot of people felt they had to have the same equipment that he did.
    I think there was mass panic that they would be banned so all the glock heads went nuts buying them
    beararms likes this.

SureFire isn't the only one.

There is the C-Mag double drum also.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/sk...00003387_1.jpg

I believe the military uses that drum mag on the SAW version of the ar15.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I think there was mass panic that they would be banned so all the glock heads went nuts buying them
    You're right. I'm sure that's a lot of the reason for the shortage of these magazines also. I would look for an increase in AR and AK sales also.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    In my curiosity, I started to Google "100 round magazines for the AR-15" and froze. I thought' what if the FBI set up some kind of hot topic surveillance on this? Fishing for copy cat losers.
    I was curious about the availability and legality of tear gas canisters (not because I want them) but was afraid to do a search for the same reason. It doesn't seem like they would be legal for civilian use, and if so, outlawing them didn't stop them from being used. Does anyone know what the law is on tear gas canisters?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I wonder if anyone makes a 100 round speed loader for my 642.........
    Not yet, but I'm working on it. Still doing some fine tuning on the prototype.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard43 View Post
    I believe the military uses that drum mag on the SAW version of the ar15.
    Nope, the SAW is belt fed.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    The M249 SAW is either belt OR magazine fed (except for some of the newest variants in use only by some special operations forces). It has the capacity to be fed by standard AR mags if belted ammunition is unavailable. However, it is notoriously unreliable when being fed from a magazine, and I have never seen in done (not to say that it hasn't happened at all) in combat. Generally, if all you have available is magazines, better to use them in an M16/M4. The standard belt for the SAW is 200 rds, and used to come in a plastic "box" that attaches under the weapon and keeps the belt in place, and protected from the elements. It was, however, big, bulky, heavy, and noisy (the rounds rattle against the sides of the box, something we used to remedy by lining the box with moleskin). It is far more common today to see cloth "pouches" in both 200 and 100 round capacities.

That said, the Marine replacement for the SAW is basically a beefed up HK416 (piston operated AR), and would likely function just fine with these high-capacity magazines (assuming the mags themselves are reliable).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member
    google "beta c-mag"
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links