Shotgun woes

Shotgun woes

This is a discussion on Shotgun woes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I usually hunt with a Browning BPS 12 ga. The mag catch either broke or got bent and it no longer holds ammo in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun woes

Lead Moderator

Shotgun woes

So I usually hunt with a Browning BPS 12 ga. The mag catch either broke or got bent and it no longer holds ammo in the mag. I took it in to be repaired after screwing with it for a while (unsuccessfully).
    Small game season opened the 15th for me, went with my backup gun a old S&W marked Noble 12 ga. Not ideal for hunting , but , better than shot shells in a pistol.
    Didn't see any game, went to unload and the gun locks up tight. Its a pump gun so should be fairly reliable. ......Nope. I thump the stock on the dirt (not very hard)to try and unlock the action. No dice, but did manage to crack the rear stock bad enough to be unusable. Unbelievable, it wasn't a solid beat the heck thumping, just some tapping.
    Now I am considering buying another shotgun, since the S&W is so cheap to start with. I can't believe S&W would even put their brand on this piece!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That sucks i will say that my Beretta ran flawless and got 2 Black Squirrel and 4 ruffed grouse i was dead on this weekend

Assistant Administrator
    That sucks.

Time for an 870 Rocky
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Kinda what I was considering.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    That sucks.

Time for an 870 Rocky
    Yeah, if you want a pump get a 870

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    If you want a pump you can't go wrong with an Ithaca Model 37. They are absolute workhorses. Of course my favorite shotgun is my Beretta Silver Pigeon II in .20 gauge. It has taken more quail and dove than I can possibly count.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Remington 870.... nuff said! LOL

While I don't disagree at all with the 870 recommendation (I have one of my own), I wonder what the general feeling is about the Benelli Nova. I have thought for a while that it would be my next shotgun, well built, reasonably priced. Anything else I should know about? BTW, I have a Super Black Eagle that I positively love everything about.

Dave.

JD
    Administrator
    870 or a Nova, either one will last forever, well the Nova is still earning it's reputatiuon but seems like it is on it's way to a good one,
    I kinda like the all one piece deal for a hunting gun, it handles the elements well and there's no wobble where the stock would normally meet the reciever. And as far as cracking a stock....well maybe if you intend to use the Nova as a club you might crack it.

Administrator
    The Browning BPS is sure worth repairing & Numrich Arms carries lots of replacment Browning Shotty Gun parts. Should be a quick & easy repair.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    The Browning will be repaired and after Christmas I think a new tac shotgun will be in order.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

870 man myself.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I like an 870, but Winnie shotguns catch my eye more than any other with few exceptions. Obviously Brownings and Benellis are quite attractive, but then you see the sticker on that thing and usually sends me back to the Winchesters.

I picked up a 1200 for homework, and if I wanted to, I could buy another barrel for hunting (even though hunting is not my cup).

I think what I like about Winchesters is the longer forestock than most others. I find it to be a more comfortable feel.

Rem 870's and Mossy 500's are fine, but give me a Winnie.

I kinda like my Benelli M2 field. Its a good all around gun, and I also have a mag extension and 18.5" barrel for competition (transforms it from M2 field to the M2 tactical).
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

+1 for the Nova...I've had one for the last 5 years...great gun, eats anything--no problems taking it in the field...etc...

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links