FNX-45

This is a discussion on FNX-45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking about a FNX-45 to satisfy my need for yet another pistol. I always say my caliber of choice is 9mm, but .45 follows close ...

Thread: FNX-45

FNX-45

Thinking about a FNX-45 to satisfy my need for yet another pistol. I always say my caliber of choice is 9mm, but .45 follows close behind :)

that being said, I was thinking of getting a FNX-45 maybe. The main reason is the capacity really.

I don't know any other .45 that can fit 15 rounds in a normal size package. if the M&P offered a 15 rounder, that would have been my choice.

AFAIK, they are very reliable pistols as well. at least from all the stuff I read about them.

for people that own one, what are your thoughts?

btw, I'm not really interested in the tactical version. I don't own any supressors, or plan on owning one. so I will probably be happy with just a regular black one.

I do kind of want a rmr red dot on it though, and I believe that's only available for the tactical model (the slot for it) am I correct?

so let's see some pics & thoughts

Thanks!

ps - how come the .40 holds only 14 rounds, but the .45 holds 15? odd...

2. Remove Ads

TCT
    I have owned a black tactical version in .45 for a few years now. Excellent in every way.

I also have a Leupold red dot for it.

DeltaPoint Reflex Sights Leupold

If you plan on using it for self defense, a red dot would give you an additional option / advantage in some situations.

Pro's...

made in the USA

easy to clean

built like a tank

high quality

low recoil for a .45

accurate

the tactical version comes with a very nice soft carry case that you can actually use.

not a wimpy looking gun...big, bulky and in your face

double action

Cons's

its big

if you have small hands the grip can be an issue but it can be adjusted.

its not sexy like a 1911

the slide release could be a bit bigger but still works well once you get used to it.

Just figured I'd throw this out there, I have a Glock G21 SF (13 + 1 .45 ACP) that I really enjoy if your looking at other options.

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    I have owned a black tactical version in .45 for a few years now. Excellent in every way.

I also have a Leupold red dot for it.

DeltaPoint Reflex Sights Leupold

If you plan on using it for self defense, a red dot would give you an additional option / advantage in some situations.

Pro's...

made in the USA

easy to clean

built like a tank

high quality

low recoil for a .45

accurate

the tactical version comes with a very nice soft carry case that you can actually use.

not a wimpy looking gun...big, bulky and in your face

double action

Cons's

its big

if you have small hands the grip can be an issue but it can be adjusted.

its not sexy like a 1911

the slide release could be a bit bigger but still works well once you get used to it.
    Thanks! I have a mk23 that fits my hand perfect actually. so this would be no problem. I have xl hands.

now that red dot. how is the battery life? I was thinking of the rmr because it's not battery operated, so I won't have to always turn it on or take a cap off before I use it. I see that has a motion detector, but that does no good if it's on a holster and I'm moving around!

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Just figured I'd throw this out there, I have a Glock G21 SF (13 + 1 .45 ACP) that I really enjoy if your looking at other options.
    Thought about it. not a fan of glocks, was pretty close to getting that or a 10mm actually!

I would get the M&P, but 10 rounds just won't do. 12 is not much either honestly. 15 is impressive though.

I just picked up an FNX 9 yesterday. Put a few hundred rounds through it, and did a quick review.

My new toy ... FNX-9, with short review

It's not a .45, but its the FNX, so maybe you can at least take away a few of my likes / dislikes. I'm sure the basics are pretty much the same. Overall its a great pistol, especially for the money.

TCT
    2 years and battery still working but I do not carry it.

I probably would go with a non battery version too if I carried it but that red dot sure works well at night. It even adjusts brightness depending on lighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by TCT View Post
    2 years and battery still working but I do not carry it.

I probably would go with a non battery version too if I carried it but that red dot sure works well at night. It even adjusts brightness depending on lighting conditions.
    how easy is it to aim? I looked through a red-dot from a pistol stance distance one, and I had to 'find' the dot. but then again, I didn't have a pistol stance. When I have a pistol stance and I aim at something, at my level or experience, sights line up, which should mean, so should the red-dot

TCT
    With a little practice the red dot works very well with fast aiming. It's all about muscle memory and familuarity with the set up.

I've got a standard FNX-45 that has about 1500 flawless rounds through it. It is one heck of a handgun. I wouldn't want to carry it (although I'm sure some do) because it's pretty big and heavy, but I've made it my nightstand gun. Although it's big, the grip diameter is small enough to get a good purchase on it (it comes with different size back straps). I like that it has a decocker/thumb safety so it functions a lot like my 1911. It's also pretty hard to beat its 15+1 capacity. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Links