Best site to sell a gun?

This is a discussion on Best site to sell a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the best site to sell a pistol? I have a Llama 1911 .45 that I want to sell and pick up a .22 ...

Thread: Best site to sell a gun?

Best site to sell a gun?

What is the best site to sell a pistol? I have a Llama 1911 .45 that I want to sell and pick up a .22 for plinking. I have looked at GunBroker, GunsAmerica etc.

Looking not to get scammed. Any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

I think that I would try word of mouth among the shooting friends that I know?
    Tony

Word of mouth is always good like Realleycat said. I also use ARMSLIST - Gun Classifieds. It's free to post on the site. You may list firearms and related items for sale, trade, etc. The few people I have dealt with from the site only deal with people who live in the state and have a concealed carry license. They provide the ATF hotline number all over the place on the site, and I know that people do not hesitate to call if they experience something shady in any dealings.

I have used Gunbroker several times. You get the Buyers FFL info and the money before you ship. You can check the FFL for authenticity on-line so you know the gun is going to a licensed gun dealer.

You should check to see if there is an online classified site for your state.
    Here in Virginia, we use a site called vaguntrader.com
    It's free to list, and most people sell face to face and require a driver's license and a VCHP (Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit, as it's called here in the Old Dominion) or a voter registration card.
    A lot of people list guns they want to trade, as well as what they're looking for; sounds like this would work well in your case.
    I've purchased firearms from there as well as from GunBroker.
    Good luck

I sold my AR15 on armslist or flguntrader

Find a regional gun show & walk around with a pistol case in your hand. I don't know Michigan law but here in Ky I can sell to any Ky resident who is 21 and tells me they're not a felon. Maybe I'm just getting old, but lately it seems the prices at gun shows are exceeding the prices at my LGS. If I was looking to get top (cash) dollar, that's where I'd go.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Is there a board at your local range. Sometimes you may be able to hook up with somebody that uses the same range as you. Our club has a board and there are always things for sale including guns. Then depending on your states rules you can arrange the sale face to face or use a local FFL. I have purchased from Both Guns America and Gun Broker with no problems but my friend is an FFL and and does not charge me for his services. I just have to pay the Nics charge for handguns and fill out the paperwork. I don't think the lgs will give you very much for it and they will turn around and get good money for your 1911.

I considered trade and as most of you have stated LGS is not offering much. Looking to sell private. I found the local classified and posted it for $250. I hope it sells. Thanks All!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The media would suggest it's the corner of 5th and Main.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You have gotten some good advice. Gunbroker is a safe place to sell, so is a gun show, just print up a sign so others can see. Local gun clubs usually have a place for listing guns but may be restricted to club members only. A trade to a dealer should be a last resort as you will take a beating on the price.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I considered trade and as most of you have stated LGS is not offering much. Looking to sell private. I found the local classified and posted it for $250. I hope it sells. Thanks All!
    In MI don't you need a hand gun buyers permit or something like a certificate to purchase a handgun?

I have sold and traded more than 15 guns on Glock Talk.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Armslist? Consignment in a local shop? Newspaper ad? Forums? Next gun show?

Links