Assault weapons

Assault weapons

This is a discussion on Assault weapons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remember that last assault weapons ban that we had first how can they ban something that we don't have,, very very few people are allowed ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By TCT

Thread: Assault weapons

Assault weapons

Remember that last assault weapons ban that we had first how can they ban something that we don't have,, very very few people are allowed to have an assault weapon, you have to get a Federal tax stamp to acquire one and they are regulated very strict . The rest of us just have semi automatic's. Which people have had in this country as long as I can remember. And when I was younger I do not remember any mass shootings, I do not know what is going on with these new generations of people. the semi automatic weapons have been here for many many years with no problems until recent years. Maybe this country needs to start looking at why these people are doing this.
    And when they came up with that latest assault weapons ban why did we the people let them take other weapons away even if they were not assault weapons, We pretty much just let them do whatever they wanted to do. And in this recent shooting that just happened that was not committed with an assault weapon but just a semi automatic rifle and a pump shotgun and semi automatic pistol I would be guessing they are going to bring back that so-called assault weapons ban, I think basically they just used that assault weapons name to get the rest of the public on their side so that people think we have those evil guns that are military use to fight a war. What is an assault weapon look for yourself. Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VIP Member
    First of all you have to realize that politicians, the media and anti-gun people aren't worried about correctness. As far as they are concerned, if it looks like one, it is one. To those who know nothing or little about guns, many make the mistake of trusting what they are told by the politicians and the press. Even Wikipedia is mistaken on one point I noticed. They said the M-16 was derived from the AR15 design, actually it is just the opposite.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Actually the 94 assault weapons ban was a joke since it didn't actually ban the guns only certain features like no mags over 10 rounds,no flash suppressor,no bayonet lug,no collapsible stock etc.the guns were still available for purchase,and if you already owned 30 round mags you were ok,you just couldn't buy any new ones and even today in some states people are looking for the "pre ban" magazines because their states have their own bans
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

And shoulder things that go up. Don't forget about those.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member
    If only we could stop all the senseless killings by banning those shoulder things that go up!

Assault is an action, not a feature.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Election season! There is a need for a distraction! Because certain politicians have failed and they need something new to get votes.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    First of all you have to realize that politicians, the media and anti-gun people aren't worried about correctness. As far as they are concerned, if it looks like one, it is one. To those who know nothing or little about guns, many make the mistake of trusting what they are told by the politicians and the press. Even Wikipedia is mistaken on one point I noticed. They said the M-16 was derived from the AR15 design, actually it is just the opposite.
    I have always been under the impression the Colt bought the Armalite design and renamed it the M-16. No?

Michael

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have always been under the impression the Colt bought the Armalite design and renamed it the M-16. No?

Michael
    Yeah, I thought Armalite called it the AR-15 from the first day they scaled down ol' Gene Stoner's AR-10.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The media is just too lazy and ignorant to learn the facts and details, so they use the catch-all of "assault weapon" anytime there is an evil looking gun. The gun-grabbers have encouraged this misinformation as it muddies the water and makes it easier for them to push for banning all sorts of things that would not be included without the erroneous labels.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    The media is just too lazy and ignorant to learn the facts and details, so they use the catch-all of "assault weapon" anytime there is an evil looking gun. The gun-grabbers have encouraged this misinformation as it muddies the water and makes it easier for them to push for banning all sorts of things that would not be included without the erroneous labels.
    Journalists work under a lot of time pressure. They have to write about all manners of things about which they have little knowledge, and that can include some rather technical stuff that is very easy to get wrong. Look at how quickly the news came out. Reporters had to churn this stuff out almost on the spot, having no time to double check the facts or learn a little more about the arcane world of clips vs. mags, AR-15 vs. M16, .40 S&W vs 9mm. None of this is intuitive, you know. Their job isn't exactly easy, and it's not a precision-driven world. For that, you go to historians who take ten, twenty years to do research. (Of course, by the time they're done, the general public has long lost interest in the event.)

So, I'd say it's not particularly industrious or informed to hold such an attitude towards the media.

TCT
    never get tired of this one...

ak.jpg

revldm and bigdog44 like this.

Links