Why do I shoot glocks better?

This is a discussion on Why do I shoot glocks better? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Arrggghh! I've always disliked those blocks. Never felt good in my hands and just looked so drab. Shot my first glock, G17, two weekends ago ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why do I shoot glocks better?

Distinguished Member

Arrggghh! I've always disliked those blocks. Never felt good in my hands and just looked so drab.

Shot my first glock, G17, two weekends ago at the range. I asked to shoot somebody's just out of curiosity, having never shot one before (I know shame on me). So I only shot it about 4-5 times, but I had to admit it was quite nice. I didn't think to ask if it was stock or not so I thought maybe it was some trigger work that made it nice. Although I noticed the grip of the gun doesn't feel that great just holding the gun, but once the gun is firing things sure do feel right with the grip.

So I told one of my buddies who only has glocks, he didn't gloat too bad. He did let me take two of his glocks to the range yesterday to get a little more qaulity time with them. Both were stock, a G17 and a G35 or 34 whichever is .40. So ya, those darn things are pretty good shooters. I shot both REALLY WELL, my shots were quite accurate. The trigger is so crisp and seems to have just the right weight. Again the grip does so well when the gun is in action, my follow up shots were better than expected as well. Also both guns were bought used by him, and he's NEVER cleaned them, I wouldn't have totally believed him until I opened the slide and looked in. Ya, looks like he's not kidding. Plus the slide creaks when racked, but both performed flawless, that wasn't a suprise at all though.

So I had to shoot my M&P a few times to compare the triggers, well it is close but not the same. So I think I may have been officially converted to the dark side. I just can't help it, almost feel dissapointed in myself, lol. Not really, but if I just shoot them better I'll have to have one. I think if I get one, I'm going G19. Yep, back to 9mm and more of a slightly bigger gun. Just gotta shoot one first. I could kick myself for not shooting one of these way earlier, oh well - live and learn.
    cammo, Justified and atctimmy like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Kool-aid,Kool-aid,Kool-aid
    Bad Bob likes this.

The distance between an M&P and a GLOCK is picking the fly scat out of the pepper. And, like most everything else, the more you run 'em, the smoother they get. How many rounds have you run through your M&P compared to the round count of your buddy's GLOCKs? Put a few thousand bullets downrange or dry fire your M&P for an ENTIRE weekend & you might see less of a difference. If you still have ANY trigger issue, send your M&P to Bowie Tactical or self-install an Apex trigger. Triggers, IMHO, are a BIG contributor to speed & accuracy. In my experience, a mid-grade handgun with a tuned trigger will out-perform most expensive handguns with a factory trigger.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Had a friend once that told me he didn't like plastic snakes, cars, wemen or guns...although I prefer the 1911A-1, I can shoot the Glocks really well...in fact, the most accurate one I've found is the Glock 19. Maybe that's why the Navy Seals like them, they work.

Cause Glocks are awesome.
    ZX9RCAM, cammo, atctimmy and 3 others like this.

I think if I get one, I'm going G19. Yep, back to 9mm and more of a slightly bigger gun. Just gotta shoot one first.
    miller_man, I know what you mean about how they feel once you shoot them. You're right, you will want to shoot one before you get one but here's my experience with the G19 some weeks ago that I posted. For some reason I have a feeling that you'll have the same experience as I did.

Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh

Also, RamRod gave some good advice on pricing. Either way, start saving your money. I'm working on a way to get a couple of them placed nicely into our budget as we speak, err type.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My guess is that the Glock just happens to fit your hand better.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Kool-aid,Kool-aid,Kool-aid
    I seriously almost spewed a mouth full of jack n the box burger in the middle of jack n the box when I saw this... Hilarious post of the day.

Why shot better? In my case, I shoot the Glock 19 very well, as compared to nearly all other handguns that I've fired. The aim is spot-on, despite the large-circumference grip that has never felt right to me. Grip angle's right.

As I've experienced various other revolvers and pistols over the years, I'm convinced the pattern is tied to the weight, balance and overall match with my particular strength and muscle-memory expectations at the time. The G19 seems to fall in that sweet spot.

Two others have been close to that same feeling for me: the Browning BDM 9mm, and the CZ P-01 9mm. In the case of the BDM, it took several thousand rounds before the gun began to feel like a simple extension of my own arm/hand, making "pointing" to the POI as simple as sighting-in and doing it. The CZ P-01 wasn't nearly so effortless as either the BDM or the G19, but it was close. Still, that being said, the G19 is one I keep coming back to, now and then, and I continue to find it effortlessly accurate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Many don't know this, but Glocks aim themselves. It's one of those 78 patents Gaston got.
    zonker1986 likes this.

glock-aid, glock-aid, glock-aid

gl.jpg
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The distance between an M&P and a GLOCK is picking the fly scat out of the pepper. And, like most everything else, the more you run 'em, the smoother they get. How many rounds have you run through your M&P compared to the round count of your buddy's GLOCKs? Put a few thousand bullets downrange or dry fire your M&P for an ENTIRE weekend & you might see less of a difference. If you still have ANY trigger issue, send your M&P to Bowie Tactical or self-install an Apex trigger. Triggers, IMHO, are a BIG contributor to speed & accuracy. In my experience, a mid-grade handgun with a tuned trigger will out-perform most expensive handguns with a factory trigger.
    I hear you, and trust me - don't think I didn't look up everything about the difference's. I wanted to know why it just seemed better. A pound or so doesn't seem like it could make that much difference, I think its more than just that. I have about 800 rnds through my M&P, not quite a 1,000 but close. I haven't really felt any difference yet, and its more than just the weight of the pull too. The glock is jus right there, with very little play or pre travel, and something about when the trigger breaks - its softer than the M&P and seems to cause much less movement of the front sight after the trigger breaks. Man, I'm serious, I AM NOT TRYING TO TAKE UP FOR GLOCKS - its just true for me, it was just better. I really don't like the idea of modifying a trigger one a carry gun, 1 - cause it could bite you in court (just from what everybody says, but doesn't seem like bad advice) and 2 why would I spend more money and time on it when a glock seems to just work better for me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    miller_man, I know what you mean about how they feel once you shoot them. You're right, you will want to shoot one before you get one but here's my experience with the G19 some weeks ago that I posted. For some reason I have a feeling that you'll have the same experience as I did.

Glock Rookie Report...Uh oh

Also, RamRod gave some good advice on pricing. Either way, start saving your money. I'm working on a way to get a couple of them placed nicely into our budget as we speak, err type.
    Just read your post, don't know how I missed that one. But ya thats exactly where I'm at. I thought for sure I was the only one who hadn't atleast shot one before judging em, lol, guess not.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Why shot better? In my case, I shoot the Glock 19 very well, as compared to nearly all other handguns that I've fired. The aim is spot-on, despite the large-circumference grip that has never felt right to me. Grip angle's right.

As I've experienced various other revolvers and pistols over the years, I'm convinced the pattern is tied to the weight, balance and overall match with my particular strength and muscle-memory expectations at the time. The G19 seems to fall in that sweet spot.

Two others have been close to that same feeling for me: the Browning BDM 9mm, and the CZ P-01 9mm. In the case of the BDM, it took several thousand rounds before the gun began to feel like a simple extension of my own arm/hand, making "pointing" to the POI as simple as sighting-in and doing it. The CZ P-01 wasn't nearly so effortless as either the BDM or the G19, but it was close. Still, that being said, the G19 is one I keep coming back to, now and then, and I continue to find it effortlessly accurate.
    Yep, I think your describing exactly what I exerienced (not with a 19, but still). Something probably like your describing about the ease of aim, right grip angle, not size and the balance.

Ya, never thought I'd be drinking the glock cool aid but I can't help it. I'm working one into the funds now. Just can't deny they are great shooting guns in my hands.

G19 AIWB

me and my daughter do good with the Glocks largely because of the dot in the box sights, easy to line up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links