What is reasonable gun control... - Page 3

What is reasonable gun control...

This is a discussion on What is reasonable gun control... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sarisataka I posted this on a political forum where I hang out. It is definitely more anti than pro. It of course ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: What is reasonable gun control...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisataka View Post
    I posted this on a political forum where I hang out. It is definitely more anti than pro. It of course stems from the CO shooting. I would be interested in what a very pro-group thinks

It will be assumed prohibited persons will be similar as is today

The NFA of 1934 and GCA of 1968 will be repealed. In their place will be the following restrictions:

1) The following may be purchased with an instant background check. No record of sale shall be required
    A. Revolvers holding no more than 6 rounds
    B. Non-semiautomatic rifles with a fixed magazine
    C. Non semiautomatic shotguns with fixed magazines of no more than 8 rounds
    D. Semiautomatic rifles with fixed magazine holding no more than 5 rounds
    E. Semiautomatic shotguns with fixed magazines holding no more than 5 rounds
    F. Any pistol or rifle of caliber .22LR or less, regardless of capacity
    G. A onetime fee of $20 shall be charged at the time of purchase to be used as in 9) below

2) The following may be purchased with an instant background check and permanent file with local law enforcement to be updated at any transfer of the gun
    A. Semiautomatic pistols
    B. Semiautomatic rifles with fixed magazines of greater than 5 round capacity
    C. Semiautomatic rifles with removable magazines
    D. Magazine capacity will be capped at 30 rounds.
    E. Owners of previously made magazines may turn them in, receiving a number of 30 round magazines equivalent to the capacity of the surrendered magazine, round up to the nearest number.
    F. Non semiautomatic and semiautomatic shotguns of capacities greater than listed above
    G. Shotguns with removable magazines
    H. A onetime fee of $50 shall be charged at the time of purchase to be used as in 9) below

3) The following may be purchased with a 30 day background check and permanent file with ATF to be updated at any transfer of the gun through local law enforcement. Renewal of registration shall be made every 5 years through local law enforcement
    A. Pistols capable of full automatic fire
    B. Rifles capable of any burst or full auto firing
    C. Rifles that are converted for bump firing
    D. Pistols capable of generating muzzle energy greater than 200ft/lbs
    E. Rifles or other long arm capable of generating muzzle energy of greater than 5000 ft/lbs
    F. A fee of $50 shall be charged at the time registration, renewal or transfer, to be used as in 9) below

4) Open carry of firearms shall be permitted with government issued ID and completion of 16 hour course of training on justifiable use of force and shooting skill. Law enforcement may inspect ID with reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity or during a traffic stop. Openly carrying a gun is not grounds for suspicion of unlawful activity.

5) Concealed carry of a firearm shall be permitted with government issued ID, concealed carry permit and completion of 16 hour course of training on justifiable use of force and shooting skill. Training must be renewed every ten years. Law enforcement may inspect ID with reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity or during a traffic stop. A onetime fee of $100 shall be charged at the initial permit application to be used as in 9) below

6) Ammunition

7) Ammunition purchased in person will require a government issued ID and instant approval check
    A. Ammunition purchased online must include purchasers government issued ID number to instant approval check
    B. Online purchases of greater than 1000 rounds will be delivered to customer designated law enforcement where they shall be picked up in person upon confirmation of ID
    C. A fee of $.01 shall be charge on each cartridge at purchase to be used as in 9) below

8) Opt-out
    A. Businesses who do not choose to opt-out of allowing open or concealed carry shall be immune to civil liability suits
    B. Businesses open to the public who choose to opt-out of allowing legal carry of firearms are assuming responsibility for their patrons and are liable to civil suits from any injury resulting from legal or illegal gun use
    C. Businesses not open to the public who choose to opt-out of allowing legal carry of firearms are assuming responsibility for their employees and are liable to civil suits from any injury resulting from legal or illegal gun use
    D. Private home owners may choose to not allow firearms into their dwellings without liability
    E. Landlords may not prohibit their tenants from keeping firearms in rented property unless cohabiting with the landlord and the prohibition is included in a written tenant contract
    F. Churches may choose to not allow firearms into their buildings without liability
    G. Schools may choose to not allow firearms into their buildings without liability
    H. Areas and building designated as ‘high-security’ locations may prohibit firearms. These locations must provide onsite armed security and conduct entry checks with metal detectors and/ or physical searches
    I. Cities or other municipalities may enact greater restrictions on carry of firearms as follows
    1. Prohibition of open carry- the entity shall pay a yearly fee of $10 per citizen, as of the most recent census, to be used as in 9) below
    2. Prohibition of concealed carry- the entity shall pay a yearly fee of $25 per citizen, as of the most recent census, to be used as in 9) below
    3. Prohibition of all carry- the entity shall pay a yearly fee of $50 per citizen, as of the most recent census, to be used as in 9) below
    4. Prohibition of firearm ownership- the entity shall pay a yearly fee of $1000 per citizen, as of the most recent census, to be used as in 9) below. In addition, the entity is are assuming responsibility for their citizens and visitors therefore are liable to civil suits from any injury resulting from legal or illegal gun use

9) Usage of fees
    A. All fees collected through the above shall go to the Justice department
    B. Monies collected shall be put into an interest bearing fund to be used, as directed by Congress, with the following priorities
    1. Benefit fund to the victims of gun violence or their families
    2. Violence reduction programs
    3. Liability insurance for gun owners. Yearly fee may be set by Congress for participation, not to exceed the median cost of similar private insurance
    4. Gun buyback and amnesty programs for those prohibited by law from owning firearms

Fire away
    Ok...

NCIS at point-of-sale for licensed dealers only. Private sellers not required to perform background check (they can't use NCIS anyway). Seller required to give a free trigger lock at the buyer's request. No other requirements. No limit on characteristics of the weapon. No limit on number of weapons perchised. No limit on amount of ammunition perchised. Civilians not allowed to buy, sell or posses tracer/incendiary or armor piercing ammunition. No waiting periods. No special taxes on weapons or ammo or other items, services or any kind of property or asset related to selling firearms in any way what-so-ever. No CCW, permit or other certification needed to buy or carry, concealed or open, loaded or unloaded, any hand gun or rifle. Registration is illegal. Allowed to carry concealed onto all school campuses of every kind, to include elementary and post secondary schools. Allowed to carry onto collage campuses. Private businesses subject to Public Accommodation law (that means this rule wouldn't apply to factories, etc) that wish to ban firearms from their premises must demonstrate a 'need' and show what alternate armed security will be provided on the premises, in their application for an annually renewed 'public hazard' permit.

Mandatory gun safety class, to include range time and qualification, as a federal requirement in all highschool curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Ok...

NCIS at point-of-sale for licensed dealers only. Private sellers not required to perform background check (they can't use NCIS anyway). Seller required to give a free trigger lock at the buyer's request. No other requirements. No limit on characteristics of the weapon. No limit on number of weapons perchised. No limit on amount of ammunition perchised. Civilians not allowed to buy, sell or posses tracer/incendiary or armor piercing ammunition. No waiting periods. No special taxes on weapons or ammo or other items, services or any kind of property or asset related to selling firearms in any way what-so-ever. No CCW, permit or other certification needed to buy or carry, concealed or open, loaded or unloaded, any hand gun or rifle. Registration is illegal. Allowed to carry concealed onto all school campuses of every kind, to include elementary and post secondary schools. Allowed to carry onto collage campuses. Private businesses subject to Public Accommodation law (that means this rule wouldn't apply to factories, etc) that wish to ban firearms from their premises must demonstrate a 'need' and show what alternate armed security will be provided on the premises, in their application for an annually renewed 'public hazard' permit.

Mandatory gun safety class, to include range time and qualification, as a federal requirement in all highschool curriculum.
    How about mandatory mental evaluation done pro bono by our nice rich psychiatrists :-)

VIP Member
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Mar1m, you would get along just fine with all my family and friends lol!

Anglico, really??? Can u please post a link or somethin? Sounds like some good reading!

As far as these fees, I feel like all they would do is raise local taxes even more, the government sure as heck isn't going to take it out of their pocket. And then I would never trust it was being used properly.

I do not fee like I should have to pay my government or have restrictions on how I choose to protect myself or my family. Granted I'm not saying I should be allowed to own WOMD. I understand technology has come a very long way since our founding fathers. However I don't feel like our guns should be limited. We have the right to defend ourselves from our government if they ever try to use force to take us over per say. When the constitution was written they didn't say that only military could own a high caliber flint lock weapon while a normal citizen had to own a smaller on. Just saying.

I feel like the people that did so much to fight for our freedom would not like where we are at today. I mean think about it, restrictions on guns, the freedom of speech that we supposedly still have, dang we have to pay just to hunt and fish, and even after we pay, they tell us when we can hunt and what we are allowed to hunt with. It's ridiculous.

Sorry I went on my little rave, iv been thinking a lot about all this and so much more that I won't post, don't wanna bore or offend anyone.

What is reasonable gun control...
    Reasonable?
    • Doing what's possible to keep felons from committing crime; ensuring violent felons are incapable of doing it a second time.
    • Enabling citizens to do what's possible to keep felons from committing crime.
    • Disallowing governing hacks from fouling citizens' ability to defend themselves against crime, and heavily penalizing them criminally for doing so.

The only way I see that happening is to ensure that heavily-armed citizens vastly outnumber criminals, and that the legal machinery is codified to support, protect and defend the citizens' right to self-defense, the defense of others and their property.

We've allowed creation of this vast machine of government prying and fiddling that simply ensures it's tougher for citizens to stop crime. Added registration, regulation, monitoring and criminalization beyond criminal actions committed by criminals is targeting of people other than criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    There is NO “reasonable” gun control.
    Absolutely not. In fact, why aren't we going to mental institutions, giving every crazy there a loaded AR-15 and a bucket of ammo, and turning them loose? The 2A guarantees everyone the right to go armed to the terror of the people, not just law-abiding mentally healthy people! So c'mon, let's get the message out to the limp-wristed pantywaist liberals that we refuse to keep guns from psychopaths! It's UNAMERICAN!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    haha. There has to be SOME form of reasonable gun control dont ya think?

heres a scenario. whooop no more gun control. Every felon, every mentally unstable person, every single person who is not an american, children, rapists, murders , psychopaths, gang bangers, can ALL run down the local FFL and buy fully automatic M60's and SAW's and AK's and run wild in the street shooting everyone they please because there are is no longer gun control, ergo no more gun laws at all. Free reign of terror every day at your local daycare............doesnt sound fun does it?

Some form of gun control IS needed. Just a question on when enough is enough.
    Your thesis is incorrect, as is your model.

In the days of the old west, anyone could own anything. What then stopped the "Thugs" from taking over?

The fact that the Law Man could call a posse of armed citizens who could own anything and hunt them down.

What keeps the criminals from just running wild now, as some have begun to do? They can get just about anything across the border they want. So, why should a law abiding citizen not have that same right?

You want to control the people with what YOU think is allowable, and that is quite clear.

Stop Trolling and star realizing that criminals will not follow your laws, and stripping law abiding citizens of their ability to protect themselves will not stop crime.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Reasonable gun control = hitting your intended target.

Gun control is inherently unreasonable.

It simply cannot control or deter the criminal mind.

It is quite simply a means for people in power to gain more control over the populace. Using the adjective 'reasonable' is a buzz-word lie for the unlearned.

Give up your means of self defense and you give up your liberty.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member
    This is reasonable gun control:

75rds25yds30secs.jpg

75 rounds at 25 yards in 30 seconds...
    phreddy, msgt/ret and BurgerBoy like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Easy answer: Any gun over which I personally have control. So much for a glib answer. Seriously tho; I wonder if the current weapons available to the military were around at the time of the 2nd amendment would it have been worded differently. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. The basic premise of the 2nd amendment was to keep our military in check by maintaining an armed public. Given that why would you say we the public can have sling shots and the military can have full auto AR's? Sort of defeats the purpose of the 2nd amendment me thinks.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

This is the 2nd thread that is a proponent of some sort of "reasonable" gun control posted on this forum. Do you guys understand that this thread is internet searchable? Do you understand anti's now have words on a major firearms forum continaining "reasonable gun control" described in a favorable tone? My feelings on even seeing this thread here would probably earn more points so I'll keep them to myself but for gods sake stop.

It's truly nice to see that people share the same views as myself and the people I choose to associate with! It's very refreshing!!!!

Like many have already said, restrictions only restrict the law abiding citizens. I'm not going to get into details, but through certain people I know that know other people, etc...I have been asked if I wanted to purchase a freaking 6 round grenade launcher(military issued) and a bunch of fully auto machine guns. And for dirt cheap. I didn't buy them of course, simply because its not worth the risk to me. But it just shows how easy people can get ahold of them. If the criminals can get them why shouldn't we have the right to purchase them legally to defend ourselves from the illegal ones?

GH
    Gun control or rather controlling who may have firearms should be restricted to good guys - yes, bad guys - no. The way most gun laws are written the only people who are restricted are good guys. Follow the law & you have to jump through hoops. Be a law breaker & you can purchase or rent a firearm of any kind on the street corner along with your 8 ball of dope. When's the last time you heard "I'm waiting for my CCW to come through so I can rob that liquor store"?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The president wants some way to reduce gun violence, I say we make sure everybody has a gun and knows how to use it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links