What is reasonable gun control...

This is a discussion on What is reasonable gun control... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Laws have never, won't, can't, will never change the mind of a career criminal or a maniac. Both of those segments in our society are ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: What is reasonable gun control...

Laws have never, won't, can't, will never change the mind of a career criminal or a maniac. Both of those segments in our society are ALREADY prohibited from owning firearms. Here's the real rub. The more ethical, moral & spiritual a society becomes, the fewer laws it requires. The less ethical, moral & spiritual a society becomes, they more laws they attempt to put in place to stop the tailspin. But those laws are increasingly ineffective because that society no longer has the ethics, morals or spirituality...to OBEY them. Laws come down from the top down and won't help. Core values come from the bottom up & are our only hope.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Why is it when there is a problem/issue that needs a solution many times the government(federal,state,local) and various groups and people of power all they ever come up with is a reaction as a solution..........

As to this post the answer lies in the 2nd amendment as written and not watered down through the years.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

in·fringe verb, in·fringed, in·fring·ing.
    verb (used with object)
    To commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.

I realize this quote was posted several pages ago, but I felt that it warranted being reposted. I always wonder what part of "shall not be infringed" people don't understand.
    Crowman likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I realize this quote was posted several pages ago, but I felt that it warranted being reposted. I always wonder what part of "shall not be infringed" people don't understand.
    Some believe that so long as you are allowed to own some sort of weapon then prohibiting every other weapon would not be an infringement on your right to bear arms. If I take away your AK and allow you to keep your slingshot do you not still have your basic right to be armed? By that same reasoning taking away your right to bear arms in public is not an infringement so long as you still have the right to bears arms within your home.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; July 26th, 2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

.22lr or "less"? .17HMR is more powerful, but smaller. Is it "less" than .22lr?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some believe that so long as you are allowed to own some sort of weapon then prohibiting every other weapon would not be an infringement on your right to bear arms. If I take away your AK and allow you to keep your slingshot do you not still have your basic right to be armed? By that same reasoning taking away your right to bear arms in public is not an infringement so long as you still have the right to bears arms within your home.

Michael
    Well, some would be wrong in their beliefs then. That does not fit with the intent or context of the document.

Besides, arms is plural, right!
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    How about mandatory mental evaluation done pro bono by our nice rich psychiatrists :-)
    And of course, being of any party but Democrat, or watching Fox News, may mark you as being mentally unfit.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    I'm dizzyfrom reading all that garbage.
    Lets make it easy.
    Lets waive all the formalities, and anyone who wants strict gun control, give them a passport to another country which favors gun control. Hell I'd even draw up the list describing which countries are the strictest to the least and let them pick.
    What a bunch of Nirvana dreamers.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I can take a stab at where the criminals would pick.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Some believe that so long as you are allowed to own some sort of weapon then prohibiting every other weapon would not be an infringement on your right to bear arms. If I take away your AK and allow you to keep your slingshot do you not still have your basic right to be armed?
    A right controlled at the "point of a gun" (criminalization backed by the full power of the State) is no longer a right. The Founders were fairly clear-thinking on that score.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just WHAT THE CONSTITUTION says,,,,, you have the right to BUY WHAT YOU WANT,,,,, OR at least
    I believe that way. Just because some NUT KILLS 12 defenseless people should not change MY RIGHTS.

I saw in TEXAS were 14 people was killed in a TRUCK ACCIDENT ,,,,, do we need TRUCK CONTROL.

If Holmes had chosen ,,,,, he might have used A BOMB,,,,, OR EVEN A TRUCK.
    People commit CRIMES,,,,,, NOT GUNS.

I think we are to restricted ,,,,, NOW.
    revldm likes this.

How does a registration save lives again???.............canada uses registration and there crime has not dropped because of it and it has not helped solve crimes either........why you ask criminals don't use legal guns very often cause there criminals

I support the repeal of every single gun law on the books passed by the federal government (even the 18th century law saying everyone has to own a gun), and strict enforcement of the 2A against the state governments via 14A. If you're too much of a lunatic or are too violent to be allowed to own a weapon, you probably don't need to be out and about in the first place. Once we end our idiotic drug war, there will be plenty of space in the prisons for real criminals, the kind who actually do hurt others.
    Pistology likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Besides, arms is plural, right!
    The right to arms is plural (pluralistic), yes: all classes in our society have it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'd be much more inclined to support gun control if it would work. Example, I'd be half way inclined to support a mental eval for gun buyers if it worked. Just because you pass that thing today, doesn't mean you are still mentally stable enough to have a gun 6 months from now. It's probably a safe bet that Holmes was mentally sound a year ago before he started getting rejected by stuff. Would a mental eval picked up a year a go that he was going to go on a shooting spree?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links