38 special hurts

38 special hurts

This is a discussion on 38 special hurts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; S&W airweight 38 special. Gift for wife, so shoots a.25 berrata, .32 keltec, .380 bersa. This is her first revolver ,it hurts her hand when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 38 special hurts

38 special hurts

S&W airweight 38 special. Gift for wife, so shoots a.25 berrata, .32 keltec, .380 bersa. This is her first revolver ,it hurts her hand when she shoots it, evan when she shoot it with 2 hands. Her grip seems to be ok. Very firm. it does not matter if she grips it hi or low, not using +p . It has a 1.825 +- barrel.

any suggestions? She likes the gun,she does not like the bite

sgb
    Not an uncommon reaction. Two options. one - larger grips, Two - Heavier steel framed gun.
    Rollo, ctr, mprp and 2 others like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Not an uncommon reaction. Two options. one - larger grips, Two - Heavier steel framed gun.
    Third option - go semi-automatic and get The Shield. My wife used to have a Kel-Tec PF9 which hurt to shoot. I bought her The Shield (9mm) and it doesn't hurt anymore and in fact, where she hated to practice, she now wants to do so more than ever. (I know you probably don't want a non-revolver, but I'm telling you this thing is sweet)
    Ransom likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

sgb's advice is spot on... start there.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Another option would be give it to Rollo for a little while... there will be NO recoil when you get it back.
    nedrgr21, mprp, pgrass101 and 2 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sgb is right as far as where to start. If neither works then look into other options. My 442 is stock and I get a bit of sting in the palm after about 50 rds.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Buy some grips that cover the backstrap and are long enough to get all three fingers around. A Hogue monogrip will cost about 25.00. If she wants laser grips get the crimson trace lg305. Also get her a pair of ladies shooting gloves GripSwell Ergonomic Shooting Gloves my wife has a pair that she uses when she shoots her 642 alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Another option would be give it to Rollo for a little while... there will be NO recoil when you get it back.
    I don't think having a non functioning gun is what the OP had in mind for recoil reduction :)

I agree with sgb. Either one of those option would probably fit the bill. Maybe a model 60 in .357 and shoot .38's. It's about 6 ounces heavier.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Welcome to the world of airweight j-frames.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Yea the airweights isn't the best feeling shooters. She have to get over it or find a heavier gun. A used Smith and Wesson model 36 snub comes to mind.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My laser grips absorb about 30% of the recoil and it's still tough on my hands, especially after 20+ rounds. Larger grips may help and if not you keep it for a backup or car gun and try a semi as previously mentioned.
    The j frames are not enjoyable to shoot. Tough trigger pull too. I remember the first time I used it (my first gun) I hit the clip holding the target at 7 yds at the range. I thought the laser was "off". Duh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    ^^^ LOL ^^^^^

Rollo reminds me of Mikey... of the Life cereal commmercials... Only it's give it to Rollo, he breaks everything!
    BugDude and nedrgr21 like this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Airweight might not be the best choice for her. I carry one everyday and shoot it often. I'm 6'0" and 250 with big hands. That said, about 50 rounds of standard stuff is plenty for a practice session. Even with a shooting glove it bites. For carry, it's loaded with +P hollow points. They r-e-a-l-l-y kick and bite!!!
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Yep, steel frame and different grips. If that doesn't work, try a Ruger SP101 in .357 and shoot .38 standard pressures in it. It's like shooting a .22 after an airweight.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by spider7779 View Post
    S&W airweight 38 special. Gift for wife, so shoots a.25 berrata, .32 keltec, .380 bersa. This is her first revolver ,it hurts her hand when she shoots it, evan when she shoot it with 2 hands. Her grip seems to be ok. Very firm. it does not matter if she grips it hi or low, not using +p . It has a 1.825 +- barrel.

any suggestions? She likes the gun,she does not like the bite
    Well I've got to ask you a question..........did you let her shoot the revolver BEFORE you bought it? My guess is no......... A common mistake....... Many people recommend the light 38's for women, but in my opinion that is not a good choice. I have a bunch of revolvers including a Smith 642 Airweight. The 642 is my LEAST favorite revolver to shoot. I would also suggest that you take some of the posters recommendation for semiauto's very carefully. My wife just cannot rack the slide on a semiauto pistol no matter how hard she tries. It takes some strength in the arms, wrists and hands to rack pistol slides. Most of us guys take that for granted. I'm just trying to help you avoid making another mistake. My suggestion would be to take your wife to a gun range and have her try many different handguns, including semiautos. See if she can load the mags by herself. See if she can rack the slide..... See if she can clear a jam..... Those tiny pistols are even more difficult to rack than larger pistols.....they have very stiff recoil springs.

I think she would like an all steel revolver such as a Ruger SP101 or a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 2-4inch barrel. Sure, they are going to weigh 25-27 oz instead of the 15 oz for a S&W J frame, but they will be a pleasure to shoot 38+p and they won't sting your hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links