How young is old enough?

This is a discussion on How young is old enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 5 year old son has been down here with me for the summer. I have an easy to shoot .22 Henry lever action and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 2 Post By mlr1m

Thread: How young is old enough?

How young is old enough?

My 5 year old son has been down here with me for the summer. I have an easy to shoot .22 Henry lever action and was considering giving him a little lesson to go with the gun safety I've been trying to drill into him. I'm on the fence about starting this early. On one hand it'd be a fun activity to do with him and I could go over safety but on the other I'm worried it may add fuel to the curiosity fire.

Just curious as to what age the other fathers started out their little ones.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

I started on a Marlin 60 at about that age.

Started my two on .177 pellet guns at 6 and 8...

They will probably get 10/22's for Christmas this year. (now 9 and 12)
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

This won't help, but it is a question I have too. I started plinking w a bb gun supervised at 7 and shot a "real" gun at age 10. These were sporadic as my dad was not an avid shooter, but I got the itch and shot whenever possible. I think supervising and educating are the important parts and Idk when I would feel ok no longer supervising.
    ctr likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

As far as "fuel to the curiosity fire"...

If you're a hunter, bring the little one along and when he sees what firearms are capable of, respect will naturally follow IMHO.

If you're not a hunter... a watermelon would probably serve the same purpose; nice visual
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    My dad first taught me with a bb gun a lonnng time ago
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Aiden with the Nagant - YouTube
    Aiden with 9mm - YouTube

aiden.jpg
    Three....
    lol Start them early start them safe
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

How young is old enough?
    That varies widely. Never force anything, only instill fundamentals and let them ask or show interest. The hardcore education needs to stop. Learning should always be fun and fundamental. Interesting thing about marksmanship and the young. Kind of like us old men and pretty young women......it's basically a visual thing. Blowing a hole in a can at 100yds. LOL!
    Anyway......math might become more interesting, and instilling the basics of responsibility can never come too early in life. When and how and at what age is still a guess when it would ultimately be accepted 100%.

VIP Member
    I second the BB gun. It is a great way to start them off, it is how I learned. Each child is different. I would say you are the best judge of that. Can he discern the difference between a toy gun and. Real gun? If not, maybe wait awhile still.

I have found that hiding something or denying someone access to it does more to fuel the curiosity fire than allowing access to it does.

Michael
    DefConGun and revldm like this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have found that hiding something or denying someone access to it does more to fuel the curiosity fire than allowing access to it does.

Michael
    I agree with this point. If he knows you have guns and you hide them and never talk about them then he's going to be that much more curious about it. I also agree with the point that you're the only one that can make the decision about your son because you know him. If I were to let him start out on something like a 10/22, he would be under supervision at all times until he's older.

If you want to get him something that doesn't require constant supervision then maybe start him out on an air soft. As far as BB guns go, some 5 yr olds may be able to handle it with responsibility while at the same time, others at this age aren't quite ready for the responsibility. Maturity isn't intrinsically tied into age.

Links