Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A???

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a big fan of the Rugers. I prefer the Mark IIs which are out of production, but still plentiful on the used market. If ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A???

I'm a big fan of the Rugers. I prefer the Mark IIs which are out of production, but still plentiful on the used market. If you're bent on a new gun I'd still take a Mk III over the Neos or Buckmark. Yes, the Ruger Marks are a little tricky to reassemble, but the way some folks whine about it I think they'd be challenged by left-handed scissors. And besides, you really don't need to break the gun down and clean it after every hundred rounds. Wipe off the fingerprints, maybe take a toothbrush to the bolt face, and you're done.
    Ram Rod likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

I have the 22A and it's been a great gun. Accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot. Plus, how could you go wrong with a S&W?

Well, I don't have much experience pulling the trigger on a 22LR pistol other than the past couple of months. Over the past couple of years, I've contemplated several, and price was not my main concern. I started out really liking the Walther P22 because I saw it in action during a Steel Challenge match a couple of years ago. 6 full stages and I never saw the guy clean it or have a jam. All the other competitors had numerous problems with their 22LR pistols on the firing line, cleaned and lubed after every stage. Browning Buckmark? I've held them, priced them, and seen them in action at matches as well, and overall, it didn't impress me that much...and it was my opinion that the asking price should express some sort of impressiveness in some way, but didn't. Ruger MKII........over the course of two of my last three years shooting Steel Challenge, I took a friend with a MKII to shoot a few of the matches with me when her schedule allowed. That needed some cleaning attention after three stages, and loading the mags simply tore my thumb up (thankfully there's a cure for the Ruger mag loading now). The S&W 22A. I actually won one of these pistols in a drawing must have been about eight years ago (maybe when they first debuted). Had it about six weeks....never shot it, don't think I put a finger print on it, and sold it to go toward something I would rather have at the time. Some of you know my take on S&W by now. That's simply my own opinion, but I might give them a plug here for usually being the least expensive firearm across the board at the current time. Lastly........I personally ended up with a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target model after looking for a few years and not even searching real hard, and comparing a lot of things.
    First off......I was looking more toward a match pistol...one that would run perfectly without much worry during a six or seven sage, six hour match. My mistake. My only 22LR pistol will fill needs other than a dedicated match pistol. In ways I compromised on what I thought I needed to get what I wanted. I don't have, and I've never owned a Ruger firearm in any other caliber than 22LR. I really think they know what they're doing when it comes down to 22LR firearms. Simple plinkers, or target models. One more thing that might make it or break it.................there are more aftermarket parts available for the Ruger 22LR rifles and pistols than anything else. This does not actually mean that they need improvement, but simply says they are more modular and easily adaptable for user preference. You'll also find more support from the company, and a vast community of end users to give good advice and help after you've made a commitment and purchased one new or used.
    If you are seriously looking for a rimfire of any kind........you really owe it to yourself to check into a more specific forum and where the forum is built around rimfires. I just dabble in it myself. Love my Ruger rimfires. rimfirecentral.com
    I can be found there once in a while. This forum is the best for carry and many other things.......that forum is best for everything 22LR and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    how could you go wrong with a S&W?
    Today was an awesome day for me. I'm not going to ruin that now.

Ram Rod makes an excellent suggestion to visit RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! !
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here is a review that I put together on another forum of my 22a.

Original link in case this doesnt work(first post here). Has my initial thoughts and later.
    Updated review/thoughts of my 22a.(pics)

MY INITIAL REVIEW:
    Initial thoughts of a new 22a.

I have had this for just over 2 months and about 4000 rounds now(so you have an idea of what I have put this through).

BREAK IN:
    There was the initial break in troubles that I faced where certain types of ammo were causing FTF/FTEs in almost every magazine. This was with bulk ammo though. After about 600 rounds, I have had MAYBE 5 FTF/FTEs in the rest of the 3400 rounds(mostly Remington 550).

MAINTENANCE:
    The stock grips like to come loose every few hundred rounds. Ran into a leading issue(more on that later). Beyond that though, simple cleaning and lubrication.

ISSUES:
    -As stated above. I ran into some "picky ammo" woes.
    -Leading! How did my barrel get trashed after 900 rounds?
    -I had an issue last week where the magazine safety pin came off of it's rail under the grips and was stuck a half inch out of the bottom of the magazine well.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    All in all for $270 out the door, I could not be happier. I was not expecting perfection. Im still on the ORIGINAL recoil spacer that it came with. The sights were way off out of the box. It has taken the beating I was expecting on the feeding and ejection areas. I used an NCSTAR D4B red dot for a session and decided that the iron sights were better for my tastes.

If you are looking for something for a new comer to pick up(son, friend, GF, ETC). I would say you can not do much better. Maintenance is a minimum, I find that it fires with no problems when completely dry. Cleaning and disassemly is as simple as can be. Safety, slide, and magazine release are easy to reach even for people with small hands. Couldnt be happier.
    P1020947 by munsterrr, on Flickr

P1020957 by munsterrr, on Flickr

P1020955 by munsterrr, on Flickr

P1020954 by munsterrr, on Flickr

P1020953 by munsterrr, on Flickr

P1020952 by munsterrr, on Flickr
    <div><br></div>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links