Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A???

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking for a .22 that my wife and kids can learn to shoot with, and will also suit me when I want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A???

Ruger Mark III or S&W 22A???

I have been looking for a .22 that my wife and kids can learn to shoot with, and will also suit me when I want to pull the trigger without sending $$$ downrange. I have looked at everything in the $300 range. I debated over getting a plinker like a Sig Mosquito, Wallther P22, Ruger SR22 or a little more target like an S&W 22A or Ruger Mark III.

I am leaning toward the target pistol. So my question to the group is Ruger or Smith? Pro's/Con's? Any other suggestions? Remember $300 range.....

2. Remove Ads

I'm looking for one as well, glad you posted this and looking forward to reading others' opinions/suggestions.

Two more I'm considering in the price range of the ones you posted are the Beretta Neos and the S&W M&P.

I looked at the Neos - it is just a little too odd looking for me. I have not looked at an M&P

We have two Mark III's. One is mine and the other my son. Wife has a Beretta NEOS. Great affordable gun. You can custumize by getting different color grips. My wife's is decked out in all pink. They have a built rail system also. It gets lots of attention at the range also:

DSC04576.jpg

Picture is not my wifes, but an example.

As far as con's for the Ruger:pain to take apart until you get used to it.

The NEOS is a breeze to take apart. It has a nut you can see in the picture and it breaks down for easy cleaning.

There is also the Ruger 22/45 which is basically the Mark III with the grip of a 1911. A plus if you shoot a 1911. It comes with a threaded version if you want one.

Michael
    Ram Rod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sontag View Post
    I'm looking for one as well, glad you posted this and looking forward to reading others' opinions/suggestions.

Two more I'm considering in the price range of the ones you posted are the Beretta Neos and the S&W M&P.
    M&P for $300? Don't think so.

Mark III. They are a pain to reassemble but once you get it down it is pretty easy.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Ruger is the way to go. Look at the 22/45 if you shoot a 1911. Has that type of grip. there is a trick to the breakdown lever but you will figure it out.
    Ram Rod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Ruger is the way to go. Look at the 22/45 if you shoot a 1911. Has that type of grip. there is a trick to the breakdown lever but you will figure it out.
    Just out of curiosity...how come folks always say Ruger (Mark II or III) is the way to go when most likely they have never shot Neos? We have both so I am not advocating either. Just like any other firearm there is no such thing as saying such and such is the way to go. Grip, how it feels, sights, $$$$, all matter.

I would not advocate Sig over GLock (well, that is a lie LOL) just becasue I shoot it well. It all depends on the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    M&P for $300? Don't think so.
    oldrwizr, I'm well aware that the M&P does not sell new for $300; I've been pricing them for a while myself. However, several of the guns that the OP is considering are in the same price range as the M&P:

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I have looked at everything in the $300 range. I debated over getting a plinker like a Sig Mosquito, Wallther P22, Ruger SR22...
    I was simply trying to help by suggesting 2 more pistols that met his criteria.

I would, and did, go with a Ruger Mark 3 22/45.

It feels better in my hand, and felt better constructed when I had both side by side. I also think it looks better.

Smith and Wesson's Model 41 is what other .22s should aspire to be, but the 22A is nowhere near as good in my experience. My Mark is one of my most accurate pistols, and very easy even for new shooters to shoot well.

The aftermarket support for the Mark series is also better. The one downside is dis-assembly, but after you take it apart a time or two, you can get the hang of it.
    Ram Rod likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a Ruger Mk III. it's excellent. Only bad part is difficulty in cleaning, but it's so reliable, some folks don't even clean it.

My 22A is one of the most accurate plinkers I have ever had. Dead nuts on target, a blast to shoot and my wife even qualed for her CCW using it.
    The MIII is a great one as well. Mosquito is a different song altogether. I just don't see the need for it when you can get a 22LR conversion for a 1911 or a quarter the price.

I have a Mark II and Sig Mosquito. Mark II is a pain to field strip. I like the Sig as the ergonomics are like my other Sigs. I'd consider the SR22 but have never shot one. Don't care for the looks of the 22a or the mag release of the Walther.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I have a 50th anniversary MarkII that has appx 3000 rounds through it and has never been broken down and cleaned works like a champ. I really dread the cleaning day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links