Ignatious Piazza offers to fund CCW denial Cinemark lawsuit

This is a discussion on Ignatious Piazza offers to fund CCW denial Cinemark lawsuit within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Crud, looks like someone pulled the alarm after the shooting started. Next question is "are they required by the fire code"; if not, no foul. ...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Ignatious Piazza offers to fund CCW denial Cinemark lawsuit

Crud, looks like someone pulled the alarm after the shooting started. Next question is "are they required by the fire code"; if not, no foul. It's easy to come up with ways others should have spent money after the fact to prevent an isolated incident. Someone pointed out on another site the real possibility of teenagers hitting the door on purpose as pranks - definitely a deterrent to installation.

2. Remove Ads

Guru, I believe you are. Suntzu isn't forcing them to use his service, they are free to go elsewhere, so he is not denying them anything. Every businessowner has the right to refuse service.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Guru, I believe you are. Suntzu isn't forcing them to use his service, they are free to go elsewhere, so he is not denying them anything. Every businessowner has the right to refuse service.
    Don't worry about it LOL. He didn't even bother asking me why I (and other instructors) prohibit certain things. Jewelry, watches,. I don't let them carry wallets either. It is a safety thing. I am not going to try to rig every person carrying every type of weapon and holster combination imaginable so I can ensure it will be a safe jump. Are there ways. Of course. Is it hard or difficult? Nope, not really. But I am not going to make exceptions and have a strict rule about what to wear. I am sure someone will say the army does it. Well, they do and they have procedures for each weapon and bundle and they have a REASON to jump with it.
    Most folks jump in jeans or shorts and a t shirt for tandem jumps. I am not taking any chances. Anybody that has jumped freefall knows what the opening shock can do to things that are not quite right. Maybe folks will ask next time why someone does something instead of chiming in about denying folks their rights.
    I really didn't take it personally. I am really curious to his answer if I should get sued if in the one in 10 million chance someone robbed us on the drop zone and the guy got shot in the leg......That is what the discusion is about.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Then what is it when a CO or person says NO, you can't bring a gun even though you are lic to carry. even though you went through all the background checks and had a safety course but we don't provide you any security.
    I tell them it is a safety reason and if they do not like it they can go elsewhere. See my other post. It is my business and I am responsible for their lives. What do you want me to do for security, get armed guards on a drop zone so nobody can rob us! Now, if you will, please answer the question:should I be sued if we get robbed even though it is like one in 10 million chance or whatever for that to happen. We have a better chance of having pet alligator escape and running onto the dropzone in ME or NH and eating us than a robbery.

Don't worry about it LOL. He didn't even bother asking me why I (and other instructors) prohibit certain things. Jewelry, watches,. I don't let them carry wallets either
    I already know why, I am sure you don't want to hit the ground with a gun on your hip or a watch getting caught in the parachute cord but what are the chances someone is going to be there waiting to shoot you? What we are talking about is if you use the service and pay the freight you are entitled to a reasonable amount of safety. Not having the fire doors secure or alarms on them to me is not safe. Now if the theater was not expecting trouble that why did they have cops out front?

I already know why, I am sure you don't want to hit the ground with a gun on your hip or a watch getting caught in the parachute cord but what are the chances someone is going to be there waiting to shoot you? What we are talking about is if you use the service and pay the freight you are entitled to a reasonable amount of safety. Not having the fire doors secure or alarms on them to me is not safe. Now if the theater was not expecting trouble that why did they have cops out front?
    I think most movie theaters in larger cities hire off duty cops for security. More to keep the little hooligans in line not to deal with stuff like Colorado.

You got your mind made up....that is cool. I am done with this thread. Folks in this country are sue happy. If someone robs us and the guy sues me then whatever. If you or folks think that is right then that is so sad.......my last 2 cents.
    Last edited by suntzu; July 29th, 2012 at 03:44 AM.

Just for the record we are not talking about a cup of coffee spill because someone is driving and drinking at the same time we are talking about a major CO not providing a safe environment for the patrons

This nonsense line of thinking here is exactly why we need loser pays in this country. We could wipe out most of these idiotic lawsuits practically overnight.
    Rockymonster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    This nonsense line of thinking here is exactly why we need loser pays in this country. We could wipe out most of these idiotic lawsuits practically overnight.
    and who make those decisions?

You got your mind made up....that is cool. I am done with this thread. Folks in this country are sue happy. If someone robs us and the guy sues me then whatever. If you or folks think that is right then that is so sas.......my last 2 cents.
    70 people got hurt or killed because a co didn't take a simple precaution to make sure a door was locked at a MAJOR viewing of a movie. They allowed not just a shooter but ANYONE to enter. so is it me and age but I remember someone walking around with a flash light and running some kind of security when I was a kid

what would life be without the ability to hold someone being responsible
    this guy is more worried about his car (might be disturbing to some)

That was creepy. Why did you put that on here?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

What in the world were you thinking?

First, fire exits are not to be locked from the inside during business hours per fire code. Second, he had to buy a ticket to access the door from the inside to block it open b/c it was apparently locked from the outside. So, if someone gains entry to your home while you're away or asleep and shoots someone from your window, you're ok with being held responsible, right? That's the kind of twisted logic that has got this country into such a mess.

Someone is responsible for the 70 people being shot - the shooter, no one else. What don't you get about this?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's right--blame everyone except the killer. I don't think the theater forced anyone to enter, they did it voluntarily. You don't like private business's rules? Go elsewhere. Nexflix doesn't care if you pack a gun at home.

Let's concentrate blame where it belongs, on nutcases who do crazy things.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wisconsin law states the following:
    If a private business or property owner allows the carrying of concealed weapons and someone is injured or killed as a result of a license holder using the weapon, is the employer or property owner legally liable?
    Generally no. However, there may be circumstances where such liability may exist and a discussion of such situations is beyond the scope of this brief legal summary.
    The law provides:
    A person who does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from his or her decision. Wis. Stat. 175.60(21)(b).

An employer who does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision. Wis. Stat. 175.60(21)(c).

A person providing a firearms training course in good faith is immune from liability from any act or omission related to the course if the course is one of the courses listed in statute. Wis. Stat. 175.60(21)(d).

This law would hold those businesses that posted "no weapons" signs possibly liable. Yes the movie goers choose to go into the theater with a reasonable belief they would be safe. For example: people are injured due to the roof of the theater collapsing. Are some of you saying they should not have a right to sue. Businesses are sued all the time for patrons being injured on there property what makes this shooting different. And no I don't believe anyone is not blaming the shooter . However the theater is obligated to provide for a safe environment.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Links