SAFETY ALERT! Bedside "gun safes" proven easily opened by a 3 year old.

SAFETY ALERT! Bedside "gun safes" proven easily opened by a 3 year old.

This is a discussion on SAFETY ALERT! Bedside "gun safes" proven easily opened by a 3 year old. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure most of you have larger and/or better made safes than these... but just tossing this out there as a heads up for others ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SAFETY ALERT! Bedside "gun safes" proven easily opened by a 3 year old.

Unsafe Gun Safes

I'm sure most of you have larger and/or better made safes than these... but just tossing this out there as a heads up for others who might think buying any old metal box at Walmart is just as effective as anything else... via Forbes:

Unsafe Gun Safes Can Be Opened By A Three-Year Old - Forbes

Couldn't believe how easily those opened for that kid! Even if one chalks it up to cheap Chinese labor, this is still pretty absurdly poor designing.

That said, anyone know if GunVault (Gun Safes - Home Gun Safe - Handgun Safes | GunVault | GunVault) has any kind of issues? Or anyone have any other recommendations for a good, safe, and reasonably priced storage solution, would like a recommendation or two.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I use gunvault, very sturdy safes.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    I don't know if I buy that video. Were the safes locked proper? It is not in english so who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I don't know if I buy that video. Were the safes locked proper? It is not in english so who cares!
    What's not in English? The video and the article are in english.

I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of 10yr olds with a decent pair of snips/shears can cut into 18ga steel, particularly if the door bends a bit to allow entry of the tip of the shears. Let alone a stronger kid with a decent pry bar.

One more good reason to have a safe with as many of the effective features as can be afforded and is practicable: stronger material (ie, 10ga or thicker), tight-fitting door, numerous bolts to hold the door, anchored to the floor/wall/whatever, in an out-of-the-way location (if feasible), setting the combo/passwd to something tough, etc.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I use gunvault, very sturdy safes.
    ...and about as reliable as a Made in China slinky. I made that mistake ONCE and will never buy another, ever!

V-Line, buy one.
    V-Line Industries Security Cases and Cabinets

Senior Moderator
    I use a Fort Knox for my pistols
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I had looked at the Stack On and a couple of other lockers and did not like the lightweight and thin material. Instead I spent $1300 for a nice 7-foot tall Browning safe that weighs 900 pounds empty, I do not believe a 3 year old will find it easy to open.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've always felt like safes such as those are great for burglars to grab and open later at their own convenience at their hideout; if they couldn't open them at my house like Toby

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I use a Fort Knox for my pistols
    Yes, this!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    ...and about as reliable as a Made in China slinky. I made that mistake ONCE and will never buy another, ever!

V-Line, buy one.
    V-Line Industries Security Cases and Cabinets
    I've had no problems at all with mine, other than the batteries run out way too fast, so I just use the key.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member
    GunVaults for the vehicles, office, nightstands. (and despite comments to the contrary, quite reliable and quite secure)
    Browning for the big stuff... 'nuff said there.
    If not in a safe, it's on-body.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I clicked on the detailed report link and got this page that has several videos. I'm sure many people will be surprised if they take the time to view a few of them.

In.Security Home » DETAILED REPORT ON THE INSECURITY OF GUN SAFES MADE BY LEADING U.S. MANUFACTURERS: STACK-ON, GUNVAULT, AND BULLDOG
    limatunes likes this.

Administrator
    Whatever brand name of cheapo safe you have....search it on YouTube and some dude with a video camera will show you how to crack it open.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I invested in a good-size Liberty safe a few years ago and don't regret it, BUT there are some cheaper alternatives.

First is to call around to local moving and storage companies. Like pianos, safes are heavy and thus expensive to move, so people relocating on their own dime frequently leave them behind. A friend picked up a "land office" safe - think cast-iron credenza with double doors and roll-out shelves inside - for the $200 the moving company charged him to drop it off in his garage (10 years ago - obviously it would cost more now). Look up companies that move and install safes and see if they have any bargains, too - you won't know if you don't ask.

Another idea, less secure but clever - comes from an airgun forum where I used to be active. The idea is "hide in plain sight". Find a dead upright freezer, the type with a lock on it, and put it in your basement (oh - we don't have basements in AZ) or other appropriate indoor space where it would look normal. You can wire the plug to keep a 25 watt bulb on to keep condensation to a minimum (again, not a concern here in AZ). If it looks normal enough, unless the BGs are after frozen steaks, chances are they'll pass up the freezer in search of more hockable stuff. Probably not such a great idea if you have inquisitive youngsters around, but it's better than leaving the shooting irons in the back of the closet.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links