What about Beretta Nano 9mm

This is a discussion on What about Beretta Nano 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys! I am looking at getting my wife a nice little piece to carry. I have seen the Beretta NANO 9mm advertized. Does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys! I am looking at getting my wife a nice little piece to carry. I have seen the Beretta NANO 9mm advertized. Does anyone have one? What do they shoot like? How is the recoil? Just wanting to know. Also, does anyone know how they might compare to a baby glock, model 26 G4, or S&W Shield? Thanks!

I've been looking for a similar gun and after much reading my order of preference is:

Springfield XDS 9mm ( not made yet )
    S&W Shield (buying this)
    Nano - I think this has too much muzzle flip

Although I did alot of reading, once I made my decision, I forgot the details. Shield is on it's way and I will buy the XDS when it comes out.

Is an XDS in 9mm scheduled to be released?

There are many Nano threads in the Defensive Carry Guns forum. I've been considering one for a while.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Winter time frame

The .45 XDS is quite a bit larger than the Nano. Will the 9mm be smaller than the .45?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I just discovered this gun about a week ago. I'm not crazy that it doesn't have an external slide lock/release.

Here's the thread where I learned this;
    are you liking the Beretta Nano ?

Here's an older thread with a lot more responses that talk about the issues with the gun;
    Reports on the Beretta Nano are coming in... welcome to reality.

I hope this helps.

I have shot a few boxes of ammo through a Nano on two different occasions.

While many folks like the Nano, and it would be a reliable and compact carry piece, it is not much fun to shoot. It is snappy, and it has a short and slippery grip.

I'll pass on the Nano, and suggest the Walther PPS as a great semi-auto alternative.

If your wife is flexible, I think the LCR is a great wheelgun.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Can't speak for your wife but mine, and many, struggle with a 9mm slide. For myself I find my Nano is a great IWB carry and a very accurate, easy shooter. I like the hand fit, grip and trigger pull that others fuss about - smooth all 'round.

I had a student bring one to one of my classes a couple months ago and he let me shoot it. It's OK. The trigger is decent. The bore axis is too high for my liking. Therefore causing more muzzle flip than I like. It was extremely reliable though. If you want a single stack, subcompact 9mm, I highly recommend the Kahr PM9/CM9 or S&W Sheild. I've owned a Kahr many years and love it.

The Beretta Nano does not have a slide stop either.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Looked at a Nano today... No thank you!

Dont like the takedown, dont like the short grip, and I think it's too thick for a gun that size.

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    ...The Beretta Nano does not have a slide stop either.
    This is not exactly correct; the Nano does not have an externally accessible slide lock. The slide does lock back on an empty magazine and snaps forward in the conventional way on no magazine or loaded magazine. As an instructor I'm sure you'd agree novices (or experienced shooters) might not consider what the difference is or means if not spelled out correctly.

While critics may question the potential of this design vis-a-vis safety, loading or clearing jams, it does result in smooth sides on what, for me, has been a grab-free and jam-free pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Looked at a Nano today... No thank you!

Dont like the takedown, dont like the short grip, and I think it's too thick for a gun that size.
    Since this is a "What about..." thread I'll take up for the Nano again because I happen to like the gun. 'Spuk cites grip as too short and thickness too great.

Grip is grip - you like it or you hate it. It's a very individual thing for any handgun. Me, I have large hands and find the two-finger non-extendo grip very comfortable, secure and, most important, stable. I blew off another 50 rounds in the Nano last night, side by side with 50 more from an extended-mag slab-handled SigP938. When it got right down to muzzle flip, target acquisition and accuracy at 7-yards I can't say one was better than the other. Different, but both fast and accurate enough to satisfy any competent shootist.

Thickness on a Nano is just kissing 7/8"; the insanely flat P938 is published at over 1". What is too thick for a pocket 9mm? Make them thinner and lighter and they hurt your hand or disintegrate over a few thousand rounds. I can't split hairs over a couple of 16ths for 9mm hand-cannons you can put under your belt. Nano isn't too thick, it's boxy - like it or hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoo View Post
    This is not exactly correct; the Nano does not have an externally accessible slide lock. The slide does lock back on an empty magazine and snaps forward in the conventional way on no magazine or loaded magazine. As an instructor I'm sure you'd agree novices (or experienced shooters) might not consider what the difference is or means if not spelled out correctly.

While critics may question the potential of this design vis-a-vis safety, loading or clearing jams, it does result in smooth sides on what, for me, has been a grab-free and jam-free pistol.
    True, thanks for correcting me on that. My feeling is that for not much more money, there are better options. The Kahr CM9 or M&P Shield for example. The Nano has an extremely high bore axis. I get a lot of novices coming through my classes and they seem to do better with small pistols like the Glock 26, PM9 or Shield. I'm not saying the Nano is a bad pistol, In just think there's better options in the pocket pistol 9mm category.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Sponsor
    I didn't like the trigger on the Nano when dry fired but I have not shot one so...

Take a look at the Bersa BP9CC and the Walther PPS.

The Walther is my first choice and EDC at this time. It only beats the Bersa in that it has different sized back straps and the large one is just a better fit for me than the Bersa.

The Bersa shoots great has a nice trigger and a very short reset. Add that to the economy price and it is a winner. I did have one issue that hasn't seen any discussion(other than me asking about it). A roll pin that is used to retain the sear retainer spring came loose and had to be replaced. It was a simple fix and a little peening should insure that it doesn't happen again.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I purchased the Nano a few months ago. I was looking for a 9mm to replace my P3AT .380 for pocket carry. I also bought a PF-9. They are both very similar in size. The Nano is slightly heavier but I like them both. That being said, my Glock 26 shoots smoother and easier but is not as suited for pocket carry. Although I've yet to have a burp from either, I have more confidence in the G-26 at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links