VA and firearms

This is a discussion on VA and firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have been to the VA about 8 times since i have been discharged from the marines. every time i go, and it doesn't matter ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKflorida

Thread: VA and firearms

Angry VA and firearms

i have been to the VA about 8 times since i have been discharged from the marines. every time i go, and it doesn't matter who i see, be it a foot doctor or my case manager, they always ask me if i have a firearm in my home. Me being a former marine, little red flags pop up in my head when they ask me this because i do have firearms. I tell them i don't, even though i do. i guess my question is, why are they asking me this every time? Should i be concerned?

2. Remove Ads

It is none of there business, but they work for the government. The "government" wants to know too much about us. Keep this in mind as you research how to vote. This will only get worse if we do not change our leadership soon.
    Remember when we were the government and they worked for us? We need to get that back.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

First welcome to the forum, second... apparently the doctors are being required to ask everyone about their guns. Your awareness is right on though and your response was appropriate. I know we have several threads around here somewhere in regards to this very issue. Again welcome to the forum.

Welcome from Delaware! Like trying to answer the question, "HAVE YOU STOPPED BEATING YOUR WIFE?" If you say yes, your a wife beater, if you say no, your a wife beater.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. As to the question, I believe it is required of them to ask now. However to my knowledge, it is not required that you give them an honest answer for treatment.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Welcome from Delaware! Like trying to answer the question, "HAVE YOU STOPPED BEATING YOUR WIFE?" If you say yes, your a wife beater, if you say no, your a wife beater.
    Well.....have you?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome aboard Brother. No we don't have no stinking "guns".
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Guns? Not hardly, they scare the heck out of me, that's why I had to get out of the navy after 22 years, too many guns. On boats, planes, everywhere! I was a nervous wreck.
    Ionracas likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Do you have any guns in your home?"
    "Do you have a need to know and a warrant?"

No doctor I've ever seen has asked me anything of the sorts, but I avoid the VA like the plague.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's called data collecting for either present use of future use.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

My buddy went to the VA and they asked him, "Do you drink?" and he said yes. Then they asked him "Do you smoke?" and he said yes. They they asked him, "Do you have any firearms?" and he said yes. Then they asked, "Do you ever have thoughts of hurting yourself or anyone else?" and he replied, "I didn't until you started asking me all of these questions!!!" Then they told him he had anger issues. He got sarcastic with the little guy wearing coke bottle bottom glasses and the Mr. Magoo doctor looked over his glasses and said, "You know, sarcasm is anger's ungly cousin." My friend replied, "So what, I went to a prom with my ugly cousin once and I survived." I think they finally gave up on him. I love hearing his visit to the VA stories though.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I know we all love a good government conspiracy story however....They are asking you because suicide among veterans is at an all time high. I think I read one veteran commits suicide everyday. They are screening people for suicide risk.

I go to the VA. Vietnam Vet rated at 40% for Defoliant Exposure. Type II Diabetes with nuropathy in my legs, etc...
    I've never been asked about having any weapons. Maybe because I'm in KY they just assume I do ;-)
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

There at least twice a year and have never been asked that...

They do, however, seem to have a great interest in whether or not I've fallen lately...
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

My friend went for Diabetes related to Agent Orange exposure but once they decided he had "anger issues" that is all they wanted to talk about. They've gone on and on about it visit after visit, questionaires, different counselors, and he finally said, "You want to know what I'm angry about? People are stupid, and I hate having to deal with stupid people. And yall are just making me more angry by the minute. Now sign my [insert explative here] diabetes paper so I can go the [insert another explative here] home!" I told him I thought they were ridiculous...I can't imagine why they think he has anger issues.

He said, "You know, if they want so bad to help someone, there's a whole waiting room full of people there that really need their help. I'm just a tired old man, that's all."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links