Talk to me about a 5.45x39 upper

This is a discussion on Talk to me about a 5.45x39 upper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been recently interested in getting a 5.45x39 upper for my AR15. I was interested in a 7.62x39 upper a couple of years ago, but ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Talk to me about a 5.45x39 upper

I've been recently interested in getting a 5.45x39 upper for my AR15. I was interested in a 7.62x39 upper a couple of years ago, but I do have an AK47 perfectly capable. I've been sort of loathing over a Spike's Tactical upper lately (which might be hard to find from distributors right now....but I can still find them). At this time I have no 5.45x39 ammo, but liking the prices I see for 750 rounds just to get going. Asking for opinions (door is wide open). $600-800 for one of these at this time. Low range if from manufacturer or distributor......high end from owners. Those who have one I would appreciate reviews...pros and cons. Not looking for a completely new firearm because I know that would likely lead to hundreds of dollars in mods. Thanks all.

$600-800 for half a gun? To save money on ammo? No thanks. That $600-800 buys a lot of ammo. I'd pass.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Well, I see your point.
    Maybe I could explain further. That caliber interests me, and it's less costly than 5.56x45 and 7.62x39. Sure I could buy any number of new or used (whole) firearms for that price, but I'd be modular with one I already have. Definitely not interested in any 22LR uppers. So....anybody gone with a 5.45x39 upper?
    Kiowa likes this.

Personally dont have one but really have looked into the same thing in the past i like the cost of this round also. I will be watching this post to see what is said hopefully someone will have a review of this.

Senior Moderator
    If you want it,get it.
    It was the Russians answer to the .223 and is about par with it.

As long as ammo is cheap,it wouldnt be a bad thing to have. Thats about the only positive that I see to owning one...cheap ammo.

I've put a few on AR's and have heard of no issues with them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My S&W has been flawless, other than the annoying heavy hammer spring is a great setup.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344064518.414489.jpg
    Glock 27
    CTAC Holster

What MAGAZINE(s) does it use? Are they reliablle? Available? Expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've been recently interested in getting a 5.45x39 upper for my AR15. I was interested in a 7.62x39 upper a couple of years ago, but I do have an AK47 perfectly capable. I've been sort of loathing over a Spike's Tactical upper lately (which might be hard to find from distributors right now....but I can still find them). At this time I have no 5.45x39 ammo, but liking the prices I see for 750 rounds just to get going. Asking for opinions (door is wide open). $600-800 for one of these at this time. Low range if from manufacturer or distributor......high end from owners. Those who have one I would appreciate reviews...pros and cons. Not looking for a completely new firearm because I know that would likely lead to hundreds of dollars in mods. Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, I see your point.
    Maybe I could explain further. That caliber interests me, and it's less costly than 5.56x45 and 7.62x39. Sure I could buy any number of new or used (whole) firearms for that price, but I'd be modular with one I already have. Definitely not interested in any 22LR uppers. So....anybody gone with a 5.45x39 upper?
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If you want it,get it.
    It was the Russians answer to the .223 and is about par with it. As long as ammo is cheap,it wouldnt be a bad thing to have. Thats about the only positive that I see to owning one...cheap ammo. I've put a few on AR's and have heard of no issues with them.
    Not familiar with the specs for the 5.4539r'd but from what I've read about using the A'K"47r'd in A'R's the problem is with the magazines because of the case-shape/taper: they don't work at all reliably in even heavily modified A'R' magazines. I think that the '74r'd is smaller case-body diameter but does it still have issues because of the case-taper? Does this upper use unmodified A'R' mag's' or does it require ones that are either difficult to obtain or require them to be extensively modified? If it uses unmodified A'R'mags: does the the thickest pair of foward-most internal-ribs in the A'R'mag' bear on the bullet itself, on or behind the ogive, rather than the case-neck? & wouldn't that probably cause either accuracy &\or feeding problems? If you can't use even modified A'R'mag's then wouldn't the mag'-well on the lower need to be modified to accept A'K"74 mag's?

There are specific magazines made for the AR15 lower with the 5.45x39........they are not AK magazines, and are readily available.
    Now......I've also heard that the 7.62x39 magazines/uppers for the AR15 have had some issues. This may be what you're thinking.

My S&W has been flawless, other than the annoying heavy hammer spring is a great setup.
    I knew someone would mention the S&W. Centerfire Systems has those in stock right now for $589 I think. But..........I've promised myself to never want, need, nor own a S&W anything.

Links