Alternatives to PF9?

This is a discussion on Alternatives to PF9? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I must admit.. I love my PF9... I love it because it's the lightest and the slimmest 9mm that I know of... here is the ...

Thread: Alternatives to PF9?

Alternatives to PF9?

I must admit.. I love my PF9... I love it because it's the lightest and the slimmest 9mm that I know of...

here is the problem. imo the build quality is sub-par and it makes me wonder if there is something else out there that I can replace it with.

It's a pocket carry gun, so I need something no heavier, and just as small to make it work.

I really wanted the MP9 shield, P938, or the LC9, but they are all bigger and heavier compared to the PF9

Kahr PM9 crossed my mind too, but I had very bad luck with a P380, so I honestly just want to stay away from it. I feel like it's lottery to get a good one,and I don't want to risk that with 400 dollars. (what a sweet trigger it had, but so many problems with my P380)

any other options for me out there?

I know there id the Diamondback 9mm, but I haven't heard many good things about it, and apparently they don't last a magazine with +p through it. for SD use, I shoot +P ammo. (or even +p+) which keltec is OK with as long as it's done sparingly. I also think the DB9 is kind of expensive for what it is.

2. Remove Ads

taseal- have you considered the Ruger lcr instead of a "pocket 9mm" ? only weighs 13.50ozs.. i also considered the lc9,pf9 and cm9 before deciding on the lcr..since i prefer pocket carry i wanted something light and comfortable,the lcr works great in the front pocket..if your sure you want a "pocket 9mm" i'd go with the Kahr cm9/pm9,that's about as close as you'll get to your pf9's weight and size..

I'd say Kahr CM9. If your comparing quality build quality between the Kahr the Keltec I think the kahr comes out on top.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'd say Kahr CM9. If your comparing quality build quality between the Kahr the Keltec I think the kahr comes out on top.
    Not sure if you guys read my post. I had such a horrible experience with kahr last time that, I just can't risk it again.

I realllyyyyy, want to try the pm9, but if I have same results, are you going to buy the gun from me? Lol

Sent from my Jelly bean Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    taseal- have you considered the Ruger lcr instead of a "pocket 9mm" ? only weighs 13.50ozs.. i also considered the lc9,pf9 and cm9 before deciding on the lcr..since i prefer pocket carry i wanted something light and comfortable,the lcr works great in the front pocket..if your sure you want a "pocket 9mm" i'd go with the Kahr cm9/pm9,that's about as close as you'll get to your pf9's weight and size..
    I have transitioned over to an LCR from LCP and my LC9. It is lightweight, very easy to pocket carry and very reliable.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I have transitioned over to an LCR from LCP and my LC9. It is lightweight, very easy to pocket carry and very reliable.
    Can you feel the thickness difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I remember when I was doing the hand racking on my p380. As I was doing it, but i saw metal shavings on the slide. A gun that tight can't possibly be reliable with a speck of dust near the slide.

That being said the cm9 would only cost me 400 to my door. Which isn't too bad. I could sell the PF9 for about 200ish

I've heard of bad experiences with Kahr's .380, but I NEVER had any issues at all with the 4 Kahrs I owned. ZERO issues with the PM9, MK9, CW9 or CW45. I'd go with the PM9 or CM9.
    BUT....I've had 2 LCR's and was very pleased with them, too. Very light, but not as flat a carry as the PM was.

My wife just switched from a PF9 to a CW9.

It has been 100% right out of the box. No 200 rds break in period, no rack the slide 200 times before taking it out. I took my cleaning kit to the gun shop with me. Disassembled it, ran a bore brush through it, ran some q tips across it and wiped it down with some fp10 and put it back together. (I actually did all this before I bought the thing). Since I had waited a couple of months for it, there wasn't a question whether or not I was going to purchase it. Went outside to the range and ran a box of ammo through it. Not a single issue. My CW45 has been good after the first "adjustment" I did to the take down pin/slide lock. Spring was out of adjustment from factory.

The next evening we went out and she shot it, with ball ammo and some Speer GDHP without any problems. She actually shot it better than her G19. Tighter groups and what seemed like quicker followup shots. I think it fits her hands better than the G19 with its long trigger reach.

I know you have had issues with your P380, but it isn't the same gun. I does however meet your criteria for a gun the same size and similar weight to your PF9. The trigger is way better on the CW9. If you can find one to shoot, I think it would definately be worth a try to see what you think about it. Shooting it will be night and day difference from the PF9. To me the PM and CM are just too small for me.

The LC9 is an option depending on whether or not you want a safety on your gun, but you are gaining slightly more weight and size as well.

BTW, did Kahr fix your P380, or did you give up on it?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My wife just switched from a PF9 to a CW9.

It has been 100% right out of the box. No 200 rds break in period, no rack the slide 200 times before taking it out. I took my cleaning kit to the gun shop with me. Disassembled it, ran a bore brush through it, ran some q tips across it and wiped it down with some fp10 and put it back together. (I actually did all this before I bought the thing). Since I had waited a couple of months for it, there wasn't a question whether or not I was going to purchase it. Went outside to the range and ran a box of ammo through it. Not a single issue. My CW45 has been good after the first "adjustment" I did to the take down pin/slide lock. Spring was out of adjustment from factory.

The next evening we went out and she shot it, with ball ammo and some Speer GDHP without any problems. She actually shot it better than her G19. Tighter groups and what seemed like quicker followup shots. I think it fits her hands better than the G19 with its long trigger reach.

I know you have had issues with your P380, but it isn't the same gun. I does however meet your criteria for a gun the same size and similar weight to your PF9. The trigger is way better on the CW9. If you can find one to shoot, I think it would definately be worth a try to see what you think about it. Shooting it will be night and day difference from the PF9. To me the PM and CM are just too small for me.

The LC9 is an option depending on whether or not you want a safety on your gun, but you are gaining slightly more weight and size as well.

BTW, did Kahr fix your P380, or did you give up on it?
    Thanks, your comments soothe my worries a little. Almost want to give it a try now.

I contacted kahr, and was told to break it in again (***?) with UMC ammo. I did and still had so many problems, I gave up on it... I sold it, and no idea what happened after that. I wish I had pictures of the metal shavings on the slide from whatever it was shaving during racking it...

I looked and I can get the CM9 for around 350 from budspolicesupply apparently. Could sell the PF9 for around 200ish and I'm set. I will loose 1 round. but I do remember the P380 having an awesome trigger.

here are the reviews from buds... the usual where most people have good luck, and some don't.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ip%20and%20Fr/

I usually take a bashing for bringing this up but... I carry a Taurus PT709 and love it. Far better quality than the PF9. It is slightly thicker than the Kel Tec but feels so much better in my hand. I have big hands and it shoots well for me. They also make the same thing in a .40 - but you lose a round in the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I usually take a bashing for bringing this up but... I carry a Taurus PT709 and love it. Far better quality than the PF9. It is slightly thicker than the Kel Tec but feels so much better in my hand. I have big hands and it shoots well for me. They also make the same thing in a .40 - but you lose a round in the mag.
    something I looked at. it's way too big for my purpose (pocket carry)

my local shop ha a CM9 for $389...

I'm so worried I might run into the same problems with my P380, and end up coming out with a gun that I need to sell who can figure out the problems themselves. :(

just bunch of posts like these scare me. perhaps I stick with my pf9. might b echeap, but it's more reliable lol

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13860
    Last edited by taseal; July 30th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Links