Help! Sig P225 or P228?

This is a discussion on Help! Sig P225 or P228? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No question about it- the 228....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Sig P225 or P228?

Administrator
    No question about it- the 228.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    It's not a P6 from what I can tell. It's marked P225...unless those are the same thing.
    The P6 is a P225 that was made for european police contracts. Some have the european heel clip magazine release instead of the American style button. Some of the P6s have issues with hollow points as the design spec was for FMJ ammo. They have slightly different feed ramps. If you have a P6 and it has issues you can drop in a P225 spec barrel and the problem is usually solved. One visual clue that a pistol is a P6 and not a commercial P225 is that the P6 has a hammer with spur that has a hole and a little slot in it. This was included in the contract so any pistol that had been dropped could be immediately recognized.

When buying magazines you need to be aware that all factory P225 magazines will work in both versions. Some contract P6 magazines do not have the cut in the front for the button style magazine release to engage. If you end up with some of these you can make the cut with a dremmel tool if you have a steady hand and a bit of patience.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This P225 has the standard mag release as well as the standard Sig hammer. Also, this gun appears to have the factory night sights that came on it in '97.

About the only down side to the P225 I am aware of is the limited selection of aftermarket grips. You basically have the factory plastic, fancy wood (running over $100) or Pachmayr signature grips (if you can find them). I have Pach's on mine and I like them well enough, but they do fatten it up a little. What I would really love would be for Hogue or someone to do panels for the P225 like they do for the other models.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Get the 228 during cooler months you may find that carrying it isn't that hard to do,I have a 229 40 and with a home made Leather OWB holster It conceals under a T-shirt or light jacket with no problem on days I change out from my 1911 Commander
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I can't offer an opinion on a 225, but have no intentions of parting with my 228.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

as the owner of five Sigs, and who has had two others, i recommend the P-228. many more of these sold in the US, so mags, holsters, grips, will be easier to find. IMO, the P-239/9mm is a better choice in a single stack 9mm Sig than is the P-225/P-6. if the P-228 feels a bit fat, installing a Sig short trigger will make the DA reach more manageable. i think the P-228's factory plastic grips are as thin as you can get, although Sig or Hogue aluminum grips might be a tiny bit narrower. i also think $599 is a bit high for a used P-225, but about right for a used P-228.

gun writer Duane Thomas reported feeding problems with his P-225 after many years, which he traced to the feed lips on the magazines spreading just a bit. i don't believe he ever found a cure.

As much as I love my 225, buy the 228.

The 228 is more suitable as a fighting pistol, mostly because of the larger magazine capacity. But neither one will disappoint you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    As much as I love my 225, buy the 228.

Th 228 is more suitable as a fighting pistol, mostly because of the larger magazine capacity. But neither one will disappoint you.
    it's def a better all around pistol

Well.. I think 228 it is.

Love my P6 (Euro P225), my only complaint is capacity. The 228 seems to solve that.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I went with the 228. It has a KE date code and is in great shape. I'll post pictures later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links