I propose a new holiday

I propose a new holiday

This is a discussion on I propose a new holiday within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading a lot of the Armed Citizen reports on the NRA website and one thing strikes me, though I knew it beforehand...not many ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I propose a new holiday

I propose a new holiday

I've been reading a lot of the Armed Citizen reports on the NRA website and one thing strikes me, though I knew it beforehand...not many newer reports of women successfully defending themselves today vs. the reports from the 60s, 70s and even a few in the 80s that I've read in my uncles old AR. Women need to learn to defend themselves with a firearm. Pepper spray, tazers and other non lethal forms of self defense are great, I'm not against them in any way, but when you're asleep can you really expect to grab a bottle of mace and spray it in the right direction in the dark?

I propose we make a new holiday and see if we can't make it catch on: Teach Your Daughter To Shoot Day. It would be a great bonding exercise and a kind of health insurance. Not being sexist, but women are the weaker of the two sexes and teaching our daughters to properly handle and use firearms would be great way to even the odds for them. What do you think?

I've already taught my oldest daughter to shoot. When she was about 3 and a half she was able to understand what I said and repeat back to me what I wanted in her own words, so I put a CO2 BB gun into her hands and taught her all about it, resulting in a 2 hour target practice with her where she actually began to get on the paper. Recently, I put my P22 into her hands and UNDER MY DIRECT SUPERVISION taught her how to use it. (Caps lock for the trolls, wink wink) She was on the paper at 7 yards. Since she's female and I am not, we have very little in common interests. It's a great way for us to bond, even if she's just watching me pound holes into an old microwave and helping me pull slugs out of it to examine.

What do you guys think?

Would this be like a federal holiday with paid time off?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member
    I like it! My daughter is only a year old so I'll have to wait a little bit.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I'd support it!!! I started taking my daughter shooting when she was 7. She's 10 now and has lost interest in it (although, she loves fishing). Perhaps she will get back into it one day. At least she has the safety aspects and no mystery around guns.
    tricolordad and Dandyone like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

How about child, as I do not have any daughters? Let's not discriminate now!!!
    tricolordad likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Child, that works too. I've got a 3 year old son also and right now we are limited to making lego guns and playing with "water shooters" as he calls them. I was watching a show on TV about guns a couple nights ago and he climbed up on the couch with me and was watching. After a few minutes, he turned to me and said, "Daddy, when I get big can I do that?" I emphatically said yes and told him I had to teach him to be safe first and he said, "OK."
    tricolordad and miller_man like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Leave it to somebody else to beat us to the punch. I don't discriminate! Child it is. Wonder if theres a way to change the title of the post so we look like we hit a home run on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Dont the feds already do that for everything anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Child, that works too. I've got a 3 year old son also and right now we are limited to making lego guns and playing with "water shooters" as he calls them.
    Haha i did that too!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Women need to learn to defend themselves with a firearm. Pepper spray, tazers and other non lethal forms of self defense are great, I'm not against them in any way, but when you're asleep can you really expect to grab a bottle of mace and spray it in the right direction in the dark?
    If they can't hit something with a bottle of mace I'm not sure handing them a gun to use in the dark is the right option either...

In all seriousness that would be a great holiday! Or something along those lines anyway, maybe "Take your family out shooting day", it could be the weekend after the 4th of July. I keep asking the hospital where I work if I can have 'Columbus Day' off, as it's an important holiday to me, but they refuse. Maybe I'll have better luck with this holiday.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Why do we need a holiday to do something we should be doing all along?
    And by the way I take my daughter any time she wants to go

It's too dark to spray pepper or use a tazer, so the alternative is fire off the ol' .357?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Yeah, like the Liberals in the Congress would vote for that? LOL!
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

As a grassroots thing, we can certainly proclaim a day/week/year as a great time to teach our children to shoot. Such as ... the 11th of September, IMO the perfect day to remember who we are, why we're here, and how we go about helping ensure we each remain strong and vigilant. Foreign and domestic ... foreign and domestic.

Me, I'd prefer to keep the gubmint out of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links