What Could Be Making My Magazine Jam Up?

This is a discussion on What Could Be Making My Magazine Jam Up? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the range today & was having an issue w/ my magazine that I wanted to run by everyone: It's a 12-round magazine ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: What Could Be Making My Magazine Jam Up?

What Could Be Making My Magazine Jam Up?

I was at the range today & was having an issue w/ my magazine that I wanted to run by everyone:

It's a 12-round magazine for my M&P9c. For the first few go-arounds I would load it w/ 5 rounds & cycle through it & 2 other magazines I had. Then I started to load all 3 w/ 10-12 rounds. I load the ammo into the magazines w/ 9mm Glock mag loader. On almost every cycle where the one particular mag had 10-12 rounds it was ALWAYS jamming up w/ exactly 5 rounds left. The remaining 5 rounds in the mag would come tumbling out & I'd have to stick a pen down the magazine to get the spring to rise back up to the top.

Upon getting home I opened the magazine up & there doesn't appear to be any obvious obstructions, though there is a little bit of grime along parts of the spring.

Any ideas what could've been causing the magazine to consistently lock up at the 5-round mark? Anything I should be looking out for or doing when I clean it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like a slightly dented magazine or possibly an obstruction inside it. If you can, disassemble the magazine and give it a good cleaning inside. Then reassemble it.

Follower binding against the magazine walls.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Was the sixth round a 9mm? Was the round out of spec? This is the only other thing I can add that the other guys didn't all ready say.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If It's just one mag it's not an ammo length problem,like glockmann said pull the magazine a part and clean it well including the follower,the follower should slide up and down in the magazine without binding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Contact Smith and Wesson about the issue if it is a magazine that came with the pistol.

If it is defective, I would wager they will make it right. And that way you won't need to use a magazine that you have had your confidence shaken in.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

check the spring for damage, if it is not uncoiling straight up it will bind up against a wall

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    Sounds dirty. Clean em out real good with some Hops 9 solvent. then run a rem oil patch *the kind in the little foil pack* through them.

DONT get them too oily, a very light coating will do. But you dont wanna GREASE your ammo, which can cause it to become un-reliable .
    I would not oil any magazine it becomes a dust and dirt magnet.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would not oil any magazine it becomes a dust and dirt magnet.
    Agreed.

If you absolutely must lubricate a mag. I found a very light dusting of graphite does the trick, doesn't collect dust like oil, and stays in the mag.

VIP Member
    Your using a Glock magazine loader....everyone knows they only work with Glock magazines.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I found a nick in the front left side of the follower & I think it's getting caught in an opening on the jacket:

VIP Member
    You can sand the nick down and see if that is the problem.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    You can sand the nick down and see if that is the problem.
    Done. Seems to slide like butter now but gotta take it back to the range to be sure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Your using a Glock magazine loader....everyone knows they only work with Glock magazines.

^^^^^always one^^^^^^^^^

Funny-boy in the crowd, eh?

I'm in the camp with Buckeye.
    If its a mag you got with the pistol, contact them and they will want it back.
    I have a 9c, a .357sigc, and I know about eight other people who have M&P's, and none have that problem, or any problem for that matter.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm a southpaw and had the mag release switched over. Someone else had suggested that the M&Ps had some similar problem in general w/ the mags getting caught up on the reversed mag lock. The nick on the follower seems to be right where the gun's mag lock sits in the magazine. I've noticed two of my other newer model mags have the same nick to differing degrees - I smoothed them all down just slightly w/ some fine sandpaper & it seems to have done the job but I won't know for sure until I get them back to the range.

Links