Is My Gun Sighted For Me?

This is a discussion on Is My Gun Sighted For Me? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm still relatively new to firearms & am a few months into my honeymoon w/ M&P9c. I'm still struggling w/ a tendency to shoot a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm still relatively new to firearms & am a few months into my honeymoon w/ M&P9c. I'm still struggling w/ a tendency to shoot a bit wide right. I shoot southpaw. I've been playing a/ how I hold the firearm, how I pull the trigger, & how I aim.

I was wondering if any of you guys think this could be part of my issue: is it possible my gun is not properly sighted for me? I had someone at my local range look at it to see if it was sighted properly & he thought so but he shoots right handed. Here's a pic of my gun:

It seemed to me that the rear sight was set a touch to the right.
    Any thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Normally it's the shooter, it's better to correct your form than mess with the sights. There's a chart that shows what you could be doing wrong based on which direction your shots are off but I don't have time to find it right now, I will later if no one posts it sooner.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    First and formost to rule out your gun sights you should shoot using a benchrest, this will tell you if your gun sights are off or your holding you gun wrong

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    First and formost to rule out your gun sights you should shoot using a benchrest, this will tell you if your gun sights are off or your holding you gun wrong
    ^^^

This
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

It's possible that it's not sighted correctly.

My first pistol had that exact problem, but the general rule is to tell new shooters that it is them, not the gun, and to send them to the shooting chart (btw, you'll need the left-hand version of the chart).

I took this to heart, found the chart, and concentrated really hard on not 'thumbing'... My groups got really good, but they were consistently off. I finally became convinced that it was in fact the gun, and not me, only after I bought a second pistol and found myself driving round after round through the 'x'...

So, it could be you. It could be the sights. It could be both!

I'd suggest having someone else with more experience who is also a good shot (there are lots of folks with experience that aren't so good at driving nails) take your pistol for a spin.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member
    I would like to see that chart also. Accuracy not so good with new S&W Airweight. Pretty sure it is me.

As said, you should fire it from benchrest and see where it's really hitting. I have a Beretta Cheetah that I long suspected was shooting high left, but I questioned myself since it's the only 2-dot sight system I have. Well, I finally benchrested it and sure enough....high left. Hopefully you'll find out it's just you and not the gun; you are much easier to fix.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar

VIP Member
    Here ya go. This is for right handed shooters, so reverse left and right for a south paw.

"The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

^ there it is :)

Get one of these and then check if is you or the sights. I had the same issues when I bought my first gun. After checking the sights with the boresighter , found out it was the sights. Adjusted them and nothing but the center X after that.

LaserLyte Laser Bore Sighter (.22 - .50 caliber): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I spent an hour at the range shooting from benchrest to learn how to shoot my compact and hit bullseye. I really had to focus on squeezing the trigger backwards, not pulling it back. It felt a little silly, but helped more than anything. All my shots were off to the left (im right handed). Once I learned how to squeeze the trigger just right at the range I practiced a lot of dry fire at home to reinforce it (big help!).

It was really cool though, taking the time and effort LEARNING how to REALLY SHOOT. Gotta crawl before you run.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

(printable)
    Left handed pistol correction chart
    http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartL1S.pdf

Right handed pistol correction chart
    http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartR1S.pdf
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I highly recommend these two products, if it turns out to be you!

LaserLyte — LTS Training Cartridge- 9mm - it's a training cartridge that will fire a laser beam for a split second when the firing pin hits the switch (where it would normally hit the primer).

LaserLyte — LTS Target - this a target that is used in conjunction with the training cartridge.

They are fun to use and significantly more interesting than just simple dry-firing. You can work on your trigger control from a variety of positions (standing, sitting, prone) as well as moving into a firing lane, e.g engaging a threat when clearing a room. Can't do that at the range.

Inexpensive way to practice
    CCI: Prairie Dog- Shut up and Dance Game
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links