Past and current Kahr compact gun owners, chime in :)

This is a discussion on Past and current Kahr compact gun owners, chime in :) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I'll make this short... I had a P380, and it was a horrible gun. unreliable pistol that after 500 rounds could not go through ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • P938

3 10.71%
  • Kahr CM9

19 67.86%
  • Keep PF9

0 0%
  • Please... Get a Glock 29/20!!!

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Past and current Kahr compact gun owners, chime in :)

Past and current Kahr compact gun owners, chime in :)

Well, I'll make this short...

I had a P380, and it was a horrible gun. unreliable pistol that after 500 rounds could not go through a box of ammo.

Needless to say, I sold it and let them figure it out with warranty work etc.

I'm looking to possibly change my PF9 to another pistol and been looking at P938 and Kahr CM9. P938 as much as I like is little too much money right now. I could make it happen, and I will if I must, but I started thinking about the CM9 again.

problem is, to me (and other posts I've seen of Kahr in general) is that it's like a Taurus... you either get great reliable gun and end up very happy (I do remember very good finish on the P380) or you get a lemon and will have many problems with it. This really ends up putting it on par with Taurus to me.

I'm very afraid of trying Kahr again, but something in my guy tells me to go with it and give it one more chance. I even bought 200 rounds of 9mm today just incase I buy it, so I can break it in lol...
    that being said, there is another feeling in my gut that says to go ahead and get the P938.

there is one last gut that says just keep the PF9!!!

FWIW, my PF9 has been dead reliable and I am ready (and have been) trust my life to it. FWIW, I had my C5L laser/light on the PF9, and it was a perfect fit. like they were meant to be.

what do I do!?!?

2. Remove Ads

I have both the PF-9 and CM9 and CW9. I carry the PF-9 in my right front pocket 24/7, and mine have all been reliable and accurate. Not as pretty as the CM9, but they work if you do your part.
    I personally don't think you can have too many carry guns, so I would just add one of the Kahr 9mm's as an alternate carry weapon. They are sweet shooters with less felt recoil than the PF-9.
    Since you have one, you know its a handful. After the break in period, my Kahrs have all been perfect....not a lot to dislike about a gun that is accurate and goes bang when it should.

BTW, if you sell your PF-9, you won't get much for it, so I'd keep it as I said before.
    pir8fan likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I've been carrying a CW-45 for 2 years and all the while never had any trouble when shooting it. Even durring the break-in period. Seems to be just hit or miss for people and Kahrs. I'd personally go with the CM-9 in your spot. I love my CW!
    Kahr CW45
    Glock 19 OD

If Obama is the answer it was a dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I have both the PF-9 and CM9 and CW9. I carry the PF-9 in my right front pocket 24/7, and mine have all been reliable and accurate. Not as pretty as the CM9, but they work if you do your part.
    I personally don't think you can have too many carry guns, so I would just add one of the Kahr 9mm's as an alternate carry weapon. They are sweet shooters with less felt recoil than the PF-9.
    Since you have one, you know its a handful. After the break in period, my Kahrs have all been perfect....not a lot to dislike about a gun that is accurate and goes bang when it should.

BTW, if you sell your PF-9, you won't get much for it, so I'd keep it as I said before.
    mine has a titanium color gunkote and the northwood trigger, so I dunno, i'm sure it'll find a owner for a decent price

how come you don't carry the CM9 24/7? (i carry the pf9 same way you do. it's in my pocket in a remora holster as we speak)

Quote Originally Posted by PARADIGM 45 View Post
    Seems to be just hit or miss for people and Kahrs.
    Indeed... that's why I compared to a taurus lol. i'm just afraid I might waste 400 bucks on one and have a lemon again. seems like a 3-1 ratio

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm seriously considering selling my PM9, simply because the gun is too small and too light for me -- I struggle to shoot it straight when I'm trying to shoot quickly, as I might do in a defensive situation. When I focus and take my time and squeeze just so, the gun is as accurate as any I have.

I have about 1200 rounds through it of various junk, including Remington UMJ, Federal, and up to Remington Golden Sabres, and the gun has never one time failed to fire, failed to eject, failed to do anything except exactly what it is supposed to do.

I have plans to get to the range within the next week or so and test the little bugger again, but if I can't keep three quick shots in COM, then I may have to face the reality that it's just not the carry gun for me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    What are you looking to gain over the PF9 with the CM9 (or other)?

The reason I ask, is that I previously had a PF9 when I picked up a PM9 on a whim. I can appreciate the better quality and workmanship in the PM9, as well as it being more resistant to rust. But the PF9 shoots just a well (though the PM9's trigger pull is smoother).

As it stands, the PM9 gets carried on the rare occasion that justifies a single-stack 9mm and the PF9 stays in the safe these days. I haven't seen anything come up in the market since then that would inspire me to replace it. However, if I were starting over, I'd probably give the Beretta Nano a really hard look.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I had both the PF-9 and CW9, didnt care for the triggers on either one

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I will not tell you what is better for you. I carried a pf-9 for 2 1/2 years. Shot everthing I tried in it and had no issues other than recoil. Then was offered a cw kahr that the owner hated for a price that I could not turn down. After finding it so easy to shoot and for me relieable I bought a new cm9. After it broke in with zero issues just like the pf-9 I desided to change cc guns and never looked back. It is far smoother and easier to shoot than the pf-9 and a bit smaller but a couple oz heavier. That alone might be all thats need to change how it feels in the hand.

Hard to compare priceing when the KT can be bought for 250 and the kahr is 375 to 400. Now I also have a taurus tcp 380 for time when smaller pistol is needed and it to seems to be a great little pistol.

Trigger whiners, I guess I will never understand . Any trigger pull type can be learned and become good with it. Just takes an open mind and practice.

Trigger pull on the kahr is better than the KT and feels like any well tuned DA trigger except better still. Smooth no stack 6lb trigger pull. I shoot many different trigger types and firearm types and just don't see the issue but I grew up that why. Lots of trigger time behind many different firearms. Only takes me a couple rounds fired to be back in tune with my cc pistol after shooting a 2lb SA pistol trigger.

First time problem shame on them, second time around: shame on you! I personally will never give Kahr another chance.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

The Glock has a better track record than Kahr, based on my readings. If you're a gambling man, go with the Kahr again. Personally, I'd go with one that can actually handle your typical chambering action of pulling the slide back and releasing, rather than needing to hit the slide release for fear of failure. However, it's not my money, it's yours, so do what you think is right and whatever you get, make sure it's reliable before you consider it a viable SD weapon.

Administrator
    My first generation PM9 is a decade old. Ten years of
    my abuse and it's fine. In fact, I suppose it's time for
    a rebuild.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I love my CW9 but you do have to break them in properly.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    I love my CW9 but you do have to break them in properly.
    I'm not a huge believer in the break in thing...

this isn't a car ya know. you don't pull over on the side of the road and fix the problem. if this thing goes down because you didn't 'break it in' properly, your ass might be dead.

would you buy a plane that required 200 hours of break in with no guarantees that it might not be fully 100% after that, because some take 500 hours to break in? LOL
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

I can't speak of all Kahrs as I have only owned one; the PM9 I've had for about a year. It has fired everything I have put through it and never failed a single time. I also have no trouble in shooting it accurately fairly quick, though I think the finger extensions on it make that easier. Until this thread I've never read anything bad about a Kahr and the people I've known that have them are just as happy as I am. I also don't like break-in periods. It should work from the get-go. Never have understood why guns need break-in periods or rounds. The ones that I have had that suggested break-in periods that malfunctioned during the break-in period continued to do so after the so called break-in period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links