Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

This is a discussion on Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh c'mon... this is the internet.. nothing here is real... especially not my arsenal and stockpile of ammo... it simply does not exist... it' all ...

View Poll Results: Do you talk/show your guns/ammo collection to others?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • I talk/show my guns/ammo to anyone who will listen, privately or publicly.

10 6.25%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo online (under a screenname) than in person.

57 35.63%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo in person than online.

24 15.00%
  • "I have no guns/ammo--they were all lost in a boating accident." (whistle)

69 43.13%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

Oh c'mon... this is the internet.. nothing here is real... especially not my arsenal and stockpile of ammo... it simply does not exist... it' all cyber...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Others need not know what I have. I do not make it public. I have a small circle of gun buddies, they know, but not even the wife knows whats around the house....
    I'd be willing to bet that you would be surprised what she knows is around her house. :) Remember it is her "nest".
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I dont shoot guns, own guns or like guns. I just came here to discuss the book of the m... wait, what am I doing on this forum? Who are you people?

Seriously though, I work with a lot of antis and I dont have many freinds nor am I close to my family. My partner at work, my wife and the people at the range are the only ones who know. Well you all know but I might not be Chris from SW Tennessee, I could be Talula from Connecticut.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

WT
    I have a few friends that are gun nuts that know but other than that, I try not to advertise.

What surprises me is the number of pictures of various "collections" that are posted here and elsewhere. A part of me is concerned, not about my fellow citizen or forum member knowing, but rather the "collective".

I was hoping someone would give me a good rationale for being more open so I could be more free to talk and show, but I guess I'll continue to be paranoid. :) ("Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.")

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    On the interweb I don't mind offering my opinions about different things, and if that means lettings you good folks know about certain guns/ammo I have then I live with it. At home and in person though I don't make a habit of letting too many people know that I own guns at all, even many of my close friends only have vague inkling that I like and enjoy firearms.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I don't even participate in polls that ask if I talk about them.

Seriously though, anybody here that has the patience to put up with my drivel can piece together what I have. I tend to disclose things here in the spirit of gained and shared knowledge that I would otherwise only share with close friends outside of this forum on a "need to know" basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MP15TDriver View Post
    I am typically pretty reserved about discussing what (if any ;)) guns I own and how much (if any ;)) ammo I possess. I don't show them off to friends or even family.

However, I know several people personally and see many people online posting a lot about their guns/ammo/accessories. It makes me wonder if they are too free with their information or I'm too conservative with mine.

What do you think? Do you feel cautious about sharing the extent of your gun/ammo/acc collection with friends, family, neighbors, or online (under your real name or a pseudonym)?
    I would use the word 'discrete'. There's only a handful of people IRL who know I carry.

Online, one enjoys a level of anonymity. You don't actually know anyone, and no one actually knows you; unless you go out of your way to tell them.

I'm pretty open about what I own, and I've talked with people that I work with about my guns. I've even helped a few of them make first purchases of their own guns and taken them out to the range to do some shooting. We've even joked about putting together a work gun club. That being said, I have a feeling that should the government ever pass legislation that would require gun registration, that a tragic boating accident would render me completely unarmed. Guns are dangerous anyway. Why would anyone want to own one?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that you would be surprised what she knows is around her house. :) Remember it is her "nest".
    Thats true, but I have a man cave, a wood shop, and a garage. She doesnt like going into any of those spaces.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

if a say something then itís not a secret anymore

I don't talk about guns too much in person, almost exclusively between friends. Talking guns with strangers usually just frustrates me because so many people just don't have a clue and/or use poor terminology. (big clips!) I have a handful of photos of me shooting and my deer last year on my facebook so people know I have guns, but in Maine I think it's over 90% of households have at least one gun.

It's not like I ever tell someone I don't have firearms, but I rarely talk about what firearms I actually own. Very few people know that I have an AR rifle.

EdC
    I'm pretty socially open about owning and carrying. If it comes up, I don't mind talking about it. Understand that this is within the parameters of how I generally talk about anything-which is not much at all.

i don't tell anyone that I carry. or that I have guns for that matter

the only way someone finds out is if the female wraps her arm around me and goes 'is that a gun'? I say, it's one of them... lol

I will discuss firearms with anyone that is interested. I think the secretive, close circle of friends approach is part of the reason there's so many people that don't know anything about guns and are afraid of them. I've brought people afraid of guns to the range with quite a few of my guns to let them try them all out and they had a blast! A couple of them are looking into purchasing their own guns now. In my opinion, the chances of a break-in because someone heard I had guns is a much smaller threat to my collection than the continuing anti-gun sentiment people are developing from never being around them.
    sigmanluke, Ionracas and SWIll like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links