Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo? - Page 4

Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

This is a discussion on Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Harryball Others need not know what I have. I do not make it public. I have a small circle of gun buddies, ...

View Poll Results: Do you talk/show your guns/ammo collection to others?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • I talk/show my guns/ammo to anyone who will listen, privately or publicly.

10 6.25%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo online (under a screenname) than in person.

57 35.63%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo in person than online.

24 15.00%
  • "I have no guns/ammo--they were all lost in a boating accident." (whistle)

69 43.13%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Others need not know what I have. I do not make it public. I have a small circle of gun buddies, they know, but not even the wife knows whats around the house....
    The only reason my wife knows is if in case something happens to me.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While i don't advertise to the townsfolk and theives what i may or may not have, it doesn't matter much on the internet. The BATF and FBI know your IP address and probably read every word on firearms forums (creating jobs) so you can get rid of that tinfoil hat and stop worrying about it.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Senior Moderator
    Every single word that is printed on the internet is stored in a database.

Every single comment that you make, every single thought that you possess and let others know about, is recorded.

Just by looking at the boards you frequent, the magazines you susbcribe to, the organizations that you are a member of, all it is stored in a database.

There are people employed by this government that do nothing but anaylize your habits and make some pretty accurate personality profiles of each citizen in this country and even abroad.

Just something to think about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I talk guns only with people I know are into guns. I don't talk about having a CCW except with people I know who also have one.
    Arborigine likes this.

HotGuns:

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I don't say much about guns to anyone. Too many people let things come up in conversation with others then strangers know what you have. I never reply to threads here or anywhere else that ask how much ammo, how many guns,etc. Do you really believe everyone on a gun forum is your buddy?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a few close friends that know about some of the things in my safe. I have also told people on DC about some of the things I own in order to help them out when deciding on a gun of their own.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, while it's not a complete secret, you won't see anything I own in my signature line.
    I'm being lazy but that about sums it up for me.

I don't ever talk about my ammo supply other than to say I always need more.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Some know more than others, some know more than I'd like (gossipy family members),
    but no one knows how much or exactly what all I have.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

In a paralell universe where I have money
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ionracas; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Didnt think I would be able to upload pics from my phone, this site is great!
    wmhawth likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by MP15TDriver View Post
    What surprises me is the number of pictures of various "collections" that are posted here and elsewhere. A part of me is concerned, not about my fellow citizen or forum member knowing, but rather the "collective".

I was hoping someone would give me a good rationale for being more open so I could be more free to talk and show, but I guess I'll continue to be paranoid. :) ("Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.")
    I don't mind posting a few pictures. Everybody knows that the stuff you come across on the internet isn't true anyway. It's all just a little fantasy world I live in. I have a handgun carry permit but I don't actually have any guns, or heaven forbid, ammo for the guns that I don't have. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Fedex is supposed to be dropping off another half dozen thirty round AR magazines today, but that's for a zombie project that I'm working on. I don't actually have a gun that the magazines will fit.
    tricolordad likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

More in person than online, which isn't much beyond a few reviews/comments about a specific gun I've shot or carried from time to time.

Few have any purpose knowing the full list of what tools I've got or use. Several friends are aware of the basics, but knowledge of the full extent of the armory or ammunition locker(s) doesn't help anyone to a better outcome. It's just not relevant. The flipside is that there exist people in this world that would take such knowledge and run with it, to evil (or even merely fearful busybody, or punative) ends. Let alone the less-than-honorable who would cause deliberate damage because of such knowledge. Pass, on that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've only had 2 somewhat awkward moments when people learned I carry...

Once a friend's car was in the shop so I was driving him around doing random errands. He added a stop by the post office while we were out and about. We were having a nice conversation about life in general when I parked. I pulled out my pistol and started putting the trigger lock on it, not thinking anything of it, when he says 'whoa there, is that a gun, what do you need that for'....long story short we concluded our day with a trip to the range.

Another time I was picking up my little bro's GF from high school and she didn't understand why I didn't just drive through the lot like everyone else, waiting instead on the side of the street. "You act like you have a gun or something". Then she noticed it on my right hip on the way to my little bro's house. This was my fault because I had only recently started carrying, wasn't quite comfortable with it yet and was trying different holsters and placement, and didn't realize that in my state one can have a gun on school property while in their car as long as the gun stays in the car. My bad.

If people ask, and I think they're sincere with their question, I'll tell them what I'm carrying on my person since I OC during summer. But if somebody asks me if I own a lot of guns, or what I own or what's that in your holster and there's no rhyme or reason to inform, then I will just go on my way. Online though, I do share the info a little more freely, but I don't tell about ALL the guns/weapons I own. It's just not safe. A lot of homes are targeted for the weapons and the serial numbers will eventually get back to you. Better to be cautious and discreet than to come home and have your own gun used on you or your loved ones.

Probably more online than in person. But there have been a few times that I've shown my guns to potential new shooters that have shown an interest in going to the range or wanting to buy their first gun. I'm all about educating someone new if there's a spark of hope. I'm not an instructor, strictly on a personal level I've probably been involved in 10-15 or so people shooting for the first time including their kids but not including my family. Showing kids is the most rewarding to me though. I find it to be a complete blast.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I can't say either, as mine were also lost in a tragic boating accident.

It's beginning to seem "tragic boating accidents" are the #1 cause for loss of all firearms. Maybe deep lake firearm salvage would make another great reality TV show on A&E?

To keep our insurance premiums lower, maybe we should pass another law and include something like the following on public lakes and river signage.

No Boating Under the Influence & No Boating with your Entire Firearms collection on Board.

Make sense?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links