Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

This is a discussion on Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am typically pretty reserved about discussing what (if any ;)) guns I own and how much (if any ;)) ammo I possess. I don't ...

View Poll Results: Do you talk/show your guns/ammo collection to others?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • I talk/show my guns/ammo to anyone who will listen, privately or publicly.

10 6.25%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo online (under a screenname) than in person.

57 35.63%
  • I share more about my guns/ammo in person than online.

24 15.00%
  • "I have no guns/ammo--they were all lost in a boating accident." (whistle)

69 43.13%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

Are You Secretive About Your Guns/Ammo?

I am typically pretty reserved about discussing what (if any ;)) guns I own and how much (if any ;)) ammo I possess. I don't show them off to friends or even family.

However, I know several people personally and see many people online posting a lot about their guns/ammo/accessories. It makes me wonder if they are too free with their information or I'm too conservative with mine.

What do you think? Do you feel cautious about sharing the extent of your gun/ammo/acc collection with friends, family, neighbors, or online (under your real name or a pseudonym)?

2. Remove Ads

Others need not know what I have. I do not make it public. I have a small circle of gun buddies, they know, but not even the wife knows whats around the house....
    Guest1, Badey, pir8fan and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    My good friends know what I have, tho I have never actually shown them any of them. I also had a conversation with my neighbor and the topic came up, turns out him and his wife also carry and have their permits :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I will post some about my guns on here, but not all of them. I rarely talk about ammo, if ever, except to a couple of close friends who are like-minded. The sad thing is, all of the guns I talk about, and even the ones I don't were all lost in a tragic boating accident.
    accessbob and garyacman like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I don't have a problem talking about my firearms online, but I don't go yapping to anyone who will listen "offline". I only talk about it with friends and family and may talk about it in a general sense with someone I meet if it comes up. I don't get into specifics with those outside my "circle of comfort". I might say "oh yeah, I've shot that before" rather than "I own one".
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Guns have no role to play in polite society. I only come here to keep an eye on ya'all.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I discuss stuff in here and other forums I'm on but none of it is true

VIP Member
    I generally don't talk much about ammo, but I'm pretty free with my talk about guns. I figure there's an expectation for me to be armed, due to my job as a police officer. The town I live in is small, and most know what I do. The marked patrol car in front of the house pretty much gives me away. I decided that since it's obvious what I do for work, and everyone knows police officers are armed, at least I can speak about guns and be an advocate for an armed society. I appreciate running into those who choose to be armed, I firmly believe they make my job easier.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I keep it between my inner circle. The same goes for concealed carry. I don't even tell many of my friends. They don't need to know.

Im not gonna go blabbing when i do get my ccp when i carry. But i dont see the problem in people knowing i have guns in general. As far as ammo, i always need more.

I will talk about guns with anyone. I usually use generic terms to describe the "types" I have. The wife knows what I have, she understands the function of each. I might need her on a wall some day. Obama already knows what I have from the droid plains he has follow me around.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

"Show and Tell" is for Kindergarten.

Those who know, know, those who don't, don't; and I doubt anyone else cares.

VIP Member
    I have a few close friends that know about some of the things in my safe. I have also told people on DC about some of the things I own in order to help them out when deciding on a gun of their own.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, while it's not a complete secret, you won't see anything I own in my signature line.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I talk to my friends and family about it but I don't just bring it up with strangers, doesn't seem like a great idea.

Like several other posters, I have two close friends that know what I have (we go shooting together). No one else knows. I'm sure several friends and family members suspect I have one or two. They can believe what they will about that. Other than my wife and shooting buddies, no one knows I have a concealed carry permit and that I carry all the time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links