Skunk!!!

This is a discussion on Skunk!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never thought much about it,as i do live out in the country n the skunks, when i do see them, do not bother me..... but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Skunk!!!

Never thought much about it,as i do live out in the country n the skunks, when i do see them, do not bother me..... but i owuld guess if it is a problem, live trap em, n drop em off at my farm, evereone else seems to drop unwanted animals out here.....if it gets to bad, have a 22 mag, sighted in , for critters.....
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ruger 10/22. Buh-bye.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    The dogs always ran off the skunks on my grandpa's farm, of course the dogs often got sprayed.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Rabies and other nasty diseases are the problem. Don't fool with them, dispatch them quickly and move the body underground. Racoons are the same, they can become very vicious and carry disease including rabies. However you dispatch them remember 2 things: 1. Dispatch them! 2. From a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Mothballs, lots of mothballs will encourage the skunk to move out. No mess, no fuss, no tomato juice bath.
    I had a skunk under a shed, used mothballs and he moved out...pretty quickly, I might add.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Mothballs is an interesting solution, I've never heard that before. Not sure I wouldn't be predisposed to just shoot the darn thing, but that is interesting.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    .458 Win/Mag. [ I kid,I kid}
    Ruger 10/22 double/triple tap?

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    A .22LR and a steady aim will dispatch that critter just fine. A disposable, plastic paint suit at the Home Depot or Lowe's will assist GREATLY with the 'cleanup' from getting on ya. Those critters stink!

WRT the mothballs, those work wonders on more than just rodents........ it does works.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you live in the "city" call animal control, otherwise, be careful. Skunks are the NUMBER 1 Rabies Vector IIRC.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I've also heard of the trapping and covering method, not the barrell of water so much. I've also heard if they don't see you they won't spray you, although what happens when a bullet is tearing through their body is unpredictable. If they can't raise their tail they can't spray (trap). I've heard head shots and I've heard lung shots, I've also heard that most any method usually ends up in 1 final spray. I've had a few in my yard this summer but with houses on 3 sides I could not "just shoot the damn thing" like my wife suggested. I'd say shoot it from a distance and it may help if you know which way the wind is going to be blowing for the next few weeks.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Any rifle will work fine. Caliber is your choice. Why no handgun? Because this is best done from afar... and UPWIND!
    goldshellback and msgt/ret like this.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Live catch cage is set, but, and pardon me if I offend anyone, a .22 is a lot cheaper than the disposal fee. A.357 would be my choice as well, but some of our other neighbors may not have the same opinion. Take that back, I will not be picking up any "parts" so I like the .22. Keeps one nice "sealed" package.

Dogs already got nailed twice.
    We had a skunk problem and used the live traps to fix it. Just a pointer (in case no one else already mentioned it), generally, when you shoot a skunk, they spray.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

You have a 99% chance he will spray when shot and that stuff sticks around forever. I've trapped a few and relocated them without a hint of odor.

Call Mike Rowe from dirty jobs, maybe they can do an episode at your place......
    goldshellback likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

.22 we drop skunks and and racoons all the time with .22 here use shorts in an old marlin often .
    Daughter did take care of a problem raccoon with her .380 CC a while back it was there the 22 was way up at the house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links